PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant 143 Auto vs. Manual

Tribesman
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Looking very closely at a nearly new A4 Avant 143 and am hesitating as I'm not sure if an automatic or gear shift is better. I'm used to a stick but have been advised that the auto is the way forward and it will hold its value better.

Driving will be short urban with frequent weekend long trips.

Anyone have any views?

pitch3110
05-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Having lived with a 143 Multi for nearly 3 years I could not recommend it enough.

Yes mpg may suffer a tad until you learn the gearbox but the sheer ease of drive and flappy paddles for some fun more than makes up.

I would not by a car of this ilk in manual again and next, although a 520d, will be sports auto.

Ta
pitch

Tribesman
25-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks

Anyone else got any views? On another note, should I go for leather seats, or is cloth ok?

Longdog
25-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I went from being anti auto to buying an s-tronic S4 and love it, can't comment on the multitronic gearbox but can recommend the S-tronic.

vwawudi
27-07-2012, 11:01 AM
The A4 Multi is fabulous. Probably the reason I'll keep my car over its 3yr age limit. I've enjoyed my near 2 year driving experience engine-wise. The newer ones seem to have more poke (courtesy cars) and a tad quieter.

HTH.

YawnGumbo
27-07-2012, 01:51 PM
On the leather vs cloth front - I've only ever tried the leather, but they are very nice and really comfortable. You need to add on the heated seat option if you do go for leather though, to avoid the risk of getting piles in winter time ;)

Sportwag
27-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Having lived with a 143 Multi for nearly 3 years I could not recommend it enough.

Yes mpg may suffer a tad until you learn the gearbox but the sheer ease of drive and flappy paddles for some fun more than makes up.

I would not by a car of this ilk in manual again and next, although a 520d, will be sports auto.

Ta
pitch

Slightly off topic Pitch but (importantly) what colour 520d?

Will be looking to change in the next 6 months...

rhc21
31-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I went from being anti auto to buying an s-tronic S4 and love it, can't comment on the multitronic gearbox but can recommend the S-tronic.

Same here. On my second Multi and would not consider a manual for everyday driving. I considered a Sline A6 with manual gb but really didn't want to go back to the man so went for a B8 BE instead.
The B8 multi is also a step up from B7 multi.

Seat wise I have always liked alcantara so went for leather and alc. Never liked the old B7 sline full cloth seats but the new B8 leather and cloth look good on sports seats. If standard seats I would, if you can, go leather.