PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Vibrating noise from drivers side wheel arch / engine bay area

rp200
04-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi,

My 57 Jetta 20 TDi has recently developed an intermittent metallic vibrating or rattling from the front drivers side area. From inside the car it sounds as if it is coming from the engine bay near the wheel arch and bulk head. It goes away if I turn left and comes back if I turn right. It sounds like a heat shield rattling against the engine or exhaust as the pitch changes with the changes in engine rpm. I made a hard left turn 2 days ago just to see if it would make any rattle and it went away for the rest of my journey and for the following day. On the way to work this morning it came back, again sometimes when driving in a straight line, quite often when making right hand turns and never when making left hand turns.
Is there a heat shield in this area that could be loose and moving with the direction of the car turning? Hass anyone else got any ideas or had the same noise?

Any help would be appreciated.

RP200

MDA123
09-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi, I had a rattly type noise coming from underneath my 2007 Jetta which only occurred under acceleration. I got underneath and pushed hard with my hand against the exhaust heat shield, pushing and moulding it firmly up against the car's underside, away from the actual exhaust - that did the trick. I suspect yours is similar and perhaps the heatshield just needs a bit of bending and moulding away from anything too close.