PDA

View Full Version : A6 or A4 Allroad

Eddo1968
03-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm just about to move to Switzerland and trying to decide between an A4 and an A6 Allroad. I used to own an A4 3.0 TDI AR which I sold 6 months ago :mad: as I was offered a company car - A4 2.0 TDI Avant.

The 2.0 TDI is going back next week and I've decided to lease something with the 3.0 Tdi in Switzerland. Is the A6 that much better than the A4 in terms of the driving experience? I really loved the A4 AR and hated to see it go, although I've found the A4 Avants a bit tight when it comes to prams and all the stuff that goes with having a 6 month-old. Also is there much more space in the A6?

Thanks!

BiTDI
04-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I can't comment on the latest A6 model (C7) as I haven't lived with it yet, but I too looked at swapping my C6 A6 Avant for the latest A4 Avant when I left my job and bought my own car. The A4 was fine in the front, but the A6 was much bigger in the back and in the boot. With two growing children in their teens, the A4 was too small.

jimfitton
04-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I've had 2 A4 Avants in the past, a 56 plate and an 09 plate, both Company cars. The driver and passenger accommodations were fine, but I felt that rear seat space and boot capacity were poor. We now have an A6 07 model, and find it much more usable and more comfortable.
If you do go for the A4, avoid the 8 speed multitronic on the 2.0 TDI, it's shocking!

skibuddy
04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I have just gone from a 54 plate A4 Avant to a new A6 because of the space needed for teenage kids in the back. You could go for a standard A6 with Quattro rather than paying extra for the Allroad. I should imagine that Quattro combined with winter tyres would take you most places you wanted to go. Depends whether you like the styling of the Allroad over the Avant to some extent, personally I don't.

Eddo1968
09-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for your comments and apologies for the late reply, as we're in the process of moving. I will definitely check out the A6 as the A4 is not that big. Jim, funny that you find the combo of 2.0 tdi and 8speed multitronic shocking. I had it in my A4 which went back today and thought it was OK. It won't be an issue in Switzerland though as the smallest engine they do with the A6 is the 3.0TDI.

I've thought about getting a "standard"A6 avant with Quattro (winter tyres are mandatory in CH) but I personally really like the look of the Allroad!

When I arrive the day after tomorrow I will pop along to Audi and see what nearly new cars they have. Will report back on what I do.

thanks again

Ed

Eddo1968
22-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I went to 2 dealers last week and went for a one of the models that they had in stock. I decided to go for Skibuddy's suggestion and go for a standard Avant with Quattro rather than the all road. It's a phantom black A6 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro with S tronic and quite a lot of toys, Heated leather elecc memory seats, Adaptive cruise control (useful in switzerland!) which is very weird - especially when used in traffic, air suspension, s-line, Nav+ (but no google thank god) electric boot with the foot control, 19" wheels (although I've ordered 17" winter tyres. The list of options is too long to mention.. I drove a demonstrator at another dealer with similar spec, although in silver which isn't that special, and really like it. I know the 3.0TDi from my A4 Allroad and its a gorgeous engine.

Both car dealers were fantastic and completely different to the sharks in the UK and France. Both very patient and gave full explanations. Also the follow up has been really efficient.
Will report more when I get the car in the next week or so.

robbyg
22-07-2012, 10:04 PM
excellent choice and in my opinion the right one by far. I am sure you will enjoy your A6 alot. I am very pleased with mine, and have very similar options selected.

uriel1979
25-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi All,
I am looking at buying the 2012 (if money will stretch) the 2013 AR.
I have loved the AR for years but never been able to afford one. I can now but dont want to rush in and find out later that the AR will spend nearly as much time in the garage as on the road.
I currently have an 1999 A4 and have done very little to it in the 6 years i have owned it (got to love the Audi reliability) excluding general servicing.

Im a self employed photographer and spend a lot of my time doing location shots out in the countryside. My friend had a Defender 90 he used to let me borrow but he is thinking about selling it.
My partner and I are getting married in a few months and will be starting a fmaily. I'm wanting a good sized family car that gives decent MPG, Something I can use for work getting up to locations in the countryside and that is reliable.
I have looked at Range Rovers and such and whilst they fit the bill I can't justify a 30mpg vehicle.
The 2012 AR is said to give 40mpg-50mpg (UK)on the majority of reviews i have read. Which is great, i doubt it will actually do that but if its close that will be fine. But its the reliability that concerns me. I can't afford to have it in the garage every 6 month for major work - thats why i bought an Audi originally for their renown reliability. I have read the majority of your posts on most things and they seem very problematic.
Can anyone give any advice?