PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Privacy Glass?

thehorse
29-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I was all set to spec the privacy glass on a avant as I'll sometimes have a bike in the back and have two small kids and the stick on sun shades never seem to be in the right place to block the sun. I also read it keeps things a bit cooler

Recently I've been wondering if this is a good idea, lately I've noticed a lot of older cars seem to be having this retro fitted and on a lot of them it looks a bit tacky. Also read people think it is unsafe as it prevents people seeing the brake lights of the car in front of you on the motorway.

Anyone have any opinions?

Does it make reversing at night any harder?

Do you regret having it fitted?

robbyg
29-06-2012, 06:51 PM
100% happy with mine, as with my previous car.
chose it for same reasons, bike, kids, cooler on black car.

no probs reversing at night = generally rely on mirrors anyway. Had a hired leon once which was much too dark, audi is fine. the audi glass is less dark than my previous factory tinted volvo, can still just see the bike handle bars.

cant comment on through view as never followed myself.

would definitely chose again.

29-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I went for the built in sun blinds instead. You get most of the functionality without it being permanent.

Crasher
29-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Totally happy with mine, it means I can perve at young women standing at bus/trams stops without being seen and branded a dirty old man, which I am...

thehorse
29-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I went for the built in sun blinds instead. You get most of the functionality without it being permanent.

I did consider this, however I don't think you can get this on the S-line for some strange reason - comes up "only available in conjunction with a 2 tone dashboard" when you try and select it on the configurator

thehorse
29-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Totally happy with mine, it means I can perve at young women standing at bus/trams stops without being seen and branded a dirty old man, which I am...

Sounds like a good reason - but doesn't that mean you have to get into the back seats first?

PhilR
29-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I've got privacy for the first time on my month old Avant. It does seem to keep the car cool, and never had any issues with vision - to be honest no negatives have crossed my mind.

Timothy Nathan
29-06-2012, 11:22 PM
I perve at girls at bus-stops unashamedly. If they don't want to be looked at they should wear a burqa :Blush2:

Furion
30-06-2012, 12:23 AM
I have privacey glass on my car, also had on the one before.

As for vision there is no real diff with factory fit glass, when you are inside the car you dont even notive it.

The stick on stuff is different, that does effect vision at night.

I thinks its far safer having the glass for reasons already mentioned and if you can spec it , it would be good, plus factory fit privacey glass looks good

As for the car behind being able.to see brake lights in front you, well tbh its your brake lignts that should be the focus point for the bloke or blokett behind you

As for the cooling aspect, i thinks it defo contributes, but i have had privacey glass so long i becom acustomed to it.

If you ever decide to add a dvd with headrest monitors or roof unit privacey glass adds a little more security.

If you can get the dealer to show you a car with privacy glass you can judge if its acceptable to you on term of visibity etc

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk Android

robbyg
30-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I perve at girls at bus-stops unashamedly. If they don't want to be looked at they should wear a burqa :Blush2:

I certainly dont just limit myself to bus stops....

Timothy Nathan
30-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I certainly dont just limit myself to bus stops....
That's a very fair comment. My type of girl does not use buses. I suppose that if I were to identify the ultimate perve experience it would have to involve Cambridge and bicycles.

Crasher
30-06-2012, 08:50 PM
the ultimate perve experience it would have to involve Cambridge and bicycles.

You have just opened up my imagination box, I can see them now, short skirt, gentle breeze, hot summers day, lovely....

BiTDI
01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
For an Avant, is it available for combined passenger and load area only, or can you just have the load area tinted? I think tinting the load area only makes a lot of sense, as you don't always want to use the security blind. I haven't gone for it as an option on my up-coming order, but am wondering about about an after-market tint on just the load area, done well of course, no bubbles lol.

zollaf
01-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I suppose that if I were to identify the ultimate perve experience it would have to involve Cambridge and bicycles.
fun fairs are good places to perve. you just have to stand around and pay attention to whats happening and its amazing what sights you get to see.

Furion
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
fun fairs are good places to perve. you just have to stand around and pay attention to whats happening and its amazing what sights you get to see.

U do realize front side windows and windsceeen are not tinted dark, to attain ultimate perv status u must be hidden wearing nothing but a beige mac

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk Android

Eshrules
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Not knowing anything about this perving business, I can impart my experience of through view with tinted cars.

Generally, the Germans are very good at their privacy tints, I can see brake lights as far as I would with a non privacy tinted car.

It's the aftermarket chavmobiles with their limo tints that present an issue.

As far as I'm concerned btw - watching the car not just directly in front but also the general traffic up ahead and it's speed/braking allows for far greater hazard perception. If you try driving on any m.way in rush hour depending soley on the car in front, it won't be long before you come unstuck.

02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I did consider this, however I don't think you can get this on the S-line for some strange reason - comes up "only available in conjunction with a 2 tone dashboard" when you try and select it on the configurator

It did this when I ordered my car. The dealer ticked the box... the car came made with them! Not sure what's going on there.

s555
06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I got the privacy glass. Well worth it, and not a distraction or impedement in any way.

I do find though that the cabin gets extremely warm when driving in the sun, hotter than any other car I have owned, even with the privacy glass. There is a further option I think to add some kind of additional heat protection to the windows. Maybe I should have ticked this box also and maybe it is standard on other cars?

thehorse
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I got the privacy glass. Well worth it, and not a distraction or impedement in any way.

I do find though that the cabin gets extremely warm when driving in the sun, hotter than any other car I have owned, even with the privacy glass. There is a further option I think to add some kind of additional heat protection to the windows. Maybe I should have ticked this box also and maybe it is standard on other cars?

Did you go for a dark exterior colour - hoping quartz grey won't get too warm

s555
06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Did you go for a dark exterior colour - hoping quartz grey won't get too warm

Err.. Yes, it's black.. With the dark leather and the black carpets..... But isn't that theory disputed? Even those that have proved a dark car gets hotter than a light one, haven't shown a massive difference in temperature....

thehorse
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Err.. Yes, it's black.. With the dark leather and the black carpets..... But isn't that theory disputed? Even those that have proved a dark car gets hotter than a light one, haven't shown a massive difference in temperature....

I read a test where the interior temp of a black car and a silver car were measured and the black car was 10 degrees hotter inside - my previous black car was sometimes too hot to touch on the outside when left in the sun

s555
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I read a test where the interior temp of a black car and a silver car were measured and the black car was 10 degrees hotter inside - my previous black car was sometimes too hot to touch on the outside when left in the sun

Farenheit or Centegrade?

thehorse
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Farenheit or Centegrade?

Think it was Fahrenheit.

.....also lighter cars are more economical

Cooler-colored cars are up to 2 percent more fuel efficient than darker-colored ones (http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/01/cooler-colored-cars-are-up-to-2-percent-more-fuel-efficient-than/)

thehorse
06-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Think it was Fahrenheit.

Cooler-colored cars are up to 2 percent more fuel efficient than darker-colored ones (http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/01/cooler-colored-cars-are-up-to-2-percent-more-fuel-efficient-than/)

And just looking at the article it is 9-11degF after just 1 hour, as there is some level of insulation I would expect it to be even hotter after several hours

s555
06-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Think it was Fahrenheit.

Surely black is much "cooler" than silver? Especially with privacy glass and big wheels ? lol

s555
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
And just looking at the article it is 9-11degF after just 1 hour, as there is some level of insulation I would expect it to be even hotter after several hours

I think this might be the discrepancy actually. All cars reach the same temperature eventually, black gets there quicker...?

thehorse
06-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I think this might be the discrepancy actually. All cars reach the same temperature eventually, black gets there quicker...?

Not really - a black car would always get hotter than a light car

zollaf
06-07-2012, 02:18 PM
this is totally irrelevant though, as we are never going to see the sun again. really should be discussing what colour car floats best.
incidentally, walk around some parked cars on a hot sunny day (fond memories of the past) and see what colour gets the hottest.

s555
06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
this is totally irrelevant though, as we are never going to see the sun again. really should be discussing what colour car floats best.
incidentally, walk around some parked cars on a hot sunny day (fond memories of the past) and see what colour gets the hottest.

LOL. Mine is also double lowered (S line plus the extra) so I do puddles about as well as I do sunshine it seems.. I wonder if they still have the Landrover I traded in?

thehorse
13-08-2012, 10:28 AM

Beginning to think the standard privacy might be a bit dark and wondering if I should change my order to blinds instead - 5678, do the blinds cover the whole window? are they easy for little monsters to pull at? are there also blinds for the rear quarter windows and can you see ok out of the back window with the rear blind in place?

If you had the choice again would you go for blinds or the privacy glass?

13-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Beginning to think the standard privacy might be a bit dark and wondering if I should change my order to blinds instead - 5678, do the blinds cover the whole window? are they easy for little monsters to pull at? are there also blinds for the rear quarter windows and can you see ok out of the back window with the rear blind in place?

If you had the choice again would you go for blinds or the privacy glass?

Rear door windows are fully covered (bar a few mm) it's a very clever design. My son is too young to reach so can't comment on that. They do sit close to the glass though.

No rear 3/4 blind.

The tailgate blind is very useful and we have that up more than not. Even in dusk/night it is not annoying.

Would I pick them again? I think so. But it would depend on interior colour. I have an S Line, and with tints, I think it would be a bit too dark and claustrophobic inside. If I had a light headlining, or a cream interior, then I'd probably go for tints.
I like the versatility of being able to chose if they are up or not.

thehorse
13-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks 5678,

I'm going for the s-line too. I think privacy glass is fine when it is sunny, but in the depths of winter I think it could be too gloomy. It's a pity they don't do a photochromatic glass that gets darker when it is sunny and lighter when dark.

I'll give it some thought and check if it is possible to change.

simonrk57
14-08-2012, 12:50 PM
My boss has just had his new S6 delivered.. It has quite dark PG and it is perfect..

Im going to replace mine of my A4 Avant as Ive had it previously and is perfect for my son in the back..

JaviMar
17-09-2015, 12:37 PM
I have a car with private glass and I have never regreted to had it installed. It's very comfortable when its sunny but it becomes completly transparent when it's sunny. I bought mine at I-Don't-Spam-So-Good-Bye-Bye

Bar Shaker
18-09-2015, 10:21 AM
I have the privacy glass in my Black Edition. I almost deleted it as I felt it made the car a bit 'gangster' and I was worried about the claustrophobic feeling.

Inside the car, you don't really notice it. I'm glad I kept it.

KevinA6
21-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Have it too looks a lot darker from outside Thant it actually is from the inside. Great for kids too if we ever get some sun!!

Kevin

Kar Krazy
22-09-2015, 08:01 AM
+1

I've had factory-fitted privacy glass on my last 3 cars and it's not a problem. My daughter told me how cool it looks, so it must be impressive!

I've driven behind cars with privacy glass and it doesn't stop me seeing the high-level brake lights of the cars further ahead, not unless it's after-market and too dark to be legal.