PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Cam shaft position -timing over-advanced or system performance (bank 1)

emsxp26
29-06-2012, 03:17 PM
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I have an A3 1.8T 2009. 19K miles. This morning it failed to start. I had an interim service done 2 weeks ago at the local Audi dealer and driven it locally since then.
This morning the car failed to start and after speaking wwith Audi they advised that since the car is 3 weeks out of warranty (ie just over 3 years old) they don't want to know.
I called out Greenflag who diagnosed the fault as CAM SHAFT POSITION -TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 1)

I went back to Audi who advised that they will look at it for a diagnostic fee of £126.

What should i do? Should i insist the Audi look at it for free as it is just out of warranty or do i pay them the diagnostic fee. On the other hand should i go to an indi?

I had a look on google to see what CAM SHAFT POSITION -TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 1) means and it advises that the problem maybe
1. incorrect camshaft timing
2. wiring problem in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
3. continuous oil flow to vct piston chamber
4. failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

I know that without someone looking at the car it can't be diagnosed but can anyone advise if it is a common problem and what are the chances it could be one of the 4 things listed above (typical costs to fix??)

Thanks

Crasher
29-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Firstly you need a proper code read that gives a VAG or P code fault code number. What is your engine type code, CDAA