PDA

View Full Version : Question about winter tyres

BiTDI
26-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Help please. 18 months ago I got Audi's winter tyre package for my Audi A6 C6 - 17 inch five spoke wheels and winter tyres.
Now I am upgrading to a C7, I am wondering if they will fit. I already know that Audi have upped the diameter of the new wheel/tyre slightly, so running my existing winter tyre and wheel package would give me a 3% over-read on the speedo. I could probably live with that and then get a taller set of winter tyres next time to compensate.

However, I wonder if Audi have changed the wheel offset as well from the C6 to the C7? I wouldn't be surprised. Does anyone have any experience? Up here, an A6 Quattro on summer tyres isn't going anywhere in the snow...

BiTDI
07-07-2012, 12:03 PM
The offset on my new C7's tyres is ET39. The offset on my old set of winter tyres for my C6 is ET42. So 3mm difference. Does anyone know if that is a problem?

08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
The offset on my new C7's tyres is ET39. The offset on my old set of winter tyres for my C6 is ET42. So 3mm difference. Does anyone know if that is a problem?

I would expect it to make no difference what so ever. A lower offset means the wheel will sit a little further out on the car.

Is the PCD the same across both models?

neilos100
08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
They wont fit......not because of the offset but because Audi have increased the diameter from 57.1mm on the C6 to 66.1mm on the C7, of the center bore. I'm afraid a new set of alloys will be needed.

Big Gaz
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Alternatively you could fit hub spacers, a guy bought my A5 wheels (66.1mm diameter) for his C6 A6 and got the spacers from ebay I believe

neilos100
08-07-2012, 10:05 AM
You can put 66.1 mm center bore wheels on a 57.1mm hub using spigot rings to 'fill up' the 7mm gap and center the wheel on the hub. I think this is what your friend has done....and i have done the same on my winter wheels too.
BUT! It doesn't work the other way round though; 66.1mm hub wont fit into a 57.1mm hole. I guess you MAY be able to get a spacer to reduce hub size but this will screw up your offset as well as potentially cause insurance (and safety?) issues.

Big Gaz
08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
My Bad! should have read original question correctly. Yes as Neilos says it would work other way around.

BiTDI
09-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Why can't they leave centre bore the same I wonder? Oh - I know why…so they can sell some more wheels….

BrianWM
11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't understand why more folks in the UK don't use all season tyres all year. Our winters, esp. north of Lizard Point, normally contain some snow, ice and low temperatures and swapping wheels and tyres for just a few months seems a bit of a pain both practically and walletwise. I have only come across all season tyres and the positive comments about them within the last few years but they deserve wider acclaim. In many US states most cars have them standard.

My new Audi is a few months away but we have a Volvo XC90 that came on summer tyres and it was rubbish in snow & ice (compared to our previous 4x4). I fitted some Nokian wr tyres which transformed it in winter and made no discernable difference in summer. The wear doesn't seem any different either although I haven't done that many miles on them, others report good wear.

I guess the grip on dry roads in summer must be marginally less good but when's the last time you were near the limit on a dry road. If it was recent, keep the summer tyres, if not, well then.

Both Nokian and Vredestein make all season tyres in many sizes and at all speed ratings up to V and those tyres have the snowflake symbol which I assume means they passed some test to allow them to count as winter tyres in places that demand these. Other mainstream tyre makers do all seasons as well. Those fashionable folks with 20" wheels and crazy low profile tyres might not be able to get the sizes though.

I am dissapointed that my new Audi can't be ordered with these sensible tyres from the factory.

BiTDI
11-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I think I'm going to wear out the OEM tyres then fit something like Michelin Alpinas for all year wear. Our summer temperatures up here are around the 10-15c mark and wet anyway. I'm not a corner screecher either so I don't think I will notice the difference in summer grip

11-07-2012, 08:58 PM
It's not so much lateral grip that makes me use summer and winter specific tyres (hell, a large estate is the last thing I'd buy for driving dynamics!). It's stopping distances that are more important to me.

BrianWM
11-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi 5678, I wouldn't disagree with you that if you are ok with swapping wheels twice each year then that has to be the best solution.

I guess I'm really wondering about the vast majority of the population that thinks swapping wheels is too much trouble (reluctantly, I include myself in that). For years I got by using summer tyres all year round but for people like myself, the compromise using all season tyres on dry roads in summer is much less than that in the cold or on snow or ice in winter using summer tyres, imho.

I'm not trying to convert people who have already adopted the best solution but it'd be good if some of the rest would think about a different compromise.

Since you mentioned stopping distance: I've always scorned the big wheel brigade : fashion over function. I like comfortable cars and to help with that I prefer my tyres to have a sensible volume of air inside. However, I wouldn't mind betting that the wider tyres you get with the big wheels also provide shorter stopping distances. I will be staying with my unfashionable standard wheels in spite of this.