PDA

View Full Version : like or dislike , that is the question.

zollaf
26-06-2012, 09:16 AM
ok, so when should the like or dislike buttons be used ?
crasher has posted a pic of an oil strainer blocked with windscreen sealant. i don't like that, so disliked it, but also liked it as i don't want to cause offence. so although i like the fact he has posted it i also dislike it because its bad. same applies to pictures of french cars all pimped up being posted. they look awful, so do i like or dislike ?

Brycie
26-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Good point Zollaf. If somebody has a bad news story to tell, do you like the fact they've posted it, or dislike the fact their car' gone wrong? I suppose if you get loads of dislikes for some bad news you've posted, you'd look like everyone disliked your posts generally, going by the dislike count alone.

I'm just gonna use the like button & if I wanna convey sympathy or say that a pimped Saxo looks merde, I'm gonna say it in a reply. Will be interesting to see the consensus of opinion......

Crasher
26-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Zolly you confused me by liking and disliking a post I made...

zollaf
26-06-2012, 11:23 AM
there we go you see, now i'm confused. can't we just go back to the old way ?

Eshrules
26-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I find it amusing to do the opposite of what people expect.

I do it on facebook too - <insert tragic status> "Eshrules likes this".

I suppose it is a little sadistic, but it makes my day go by a bit quicker.

As for the like/dislike and thank on here, I've no idea how you're supposed to use it.

zollaf
26-06-2012, 11:30 AM
oh, ok, we shall just abuse the system then.

Eshrules
26-06-2012, 12:04 PM
it would be highly irresponsible for a long standing member of the forum administration team to condone such proposal(s).

(yes)

:naughty:

gupsterg
28-06-2012, 12:03 AM
After I hectic day at work...
Hanging myself on this forum I gotta say thanks to all in this thread...
Made me :biglaugh:
And see lighter side of forum life :beerchug: with the confusing side of like & dislike of course :confused:

NickPicks
28-06-2012, 02:25 PM
No, we can't break another rep system can we?

Hex69
28-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN...................:o

Crasher
28-06-2012, 03:59 PM
It wasn't my fault, it was just that because I am a God :notworthy people kept on giving me rep points but when other people caught up I got jealous and threw me toys out the pram. :alcoholic

macmillions
28-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Can we have a 'Don't Thank for this post' button?

Crasher
28-06-2012, 10:48 PM
What about a "my goldfish likes this post" button and a "my cat thinks this is pants" button? In fact I can think of about 4534 more if you want?

zollaf
28-06-2012, 11:02 PM
what do we want a 'don't thank ' button for, after all, not everyone does 'thank' anyway.

Sam
02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I found some interesting options in my post.

Testing to see if they work.

gupsterg
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
that works for me... :) no more like or dislike... ;) no more thanks... :)
with direction ;) I have chosen the path of enlightenment :biglaugh:

Eshrules
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
that works for me... :) no more like or dislike... ;) no more thanks... :)
with direction ;) I have chosen the path of enlightenment :biglaugh:

Close, but no cigar.

I can't believe I was given mod rights sometimes.

:moon:

gupsterg
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Luv it :biglaugh:
Why you hide your thanks... I still wanna thank :You_Rock_

Crasher
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I can't believe I was given mod rights sometimes.:moon:

Don't worry, the rest of us feel like that anyway...

gupsterg
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Without sounding like... :o

If poster disable thanks/like/dislike do other poster's not like that they have enabled but another not...

It seems even more confusing than before :confused:

Maybe too much choice not good http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/confused.png

zollaf
02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
god i wish i had never asked. !!!

MFGF
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm with you there, Zol! My head hurts!!

Sam
03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Without sounding like... :o

If poster disable thanks/like/dislike do other poster's not like that they have enabled but another not...

It seems even more confusing than before :confused:

Maybe too much choice not good :confused:

Is that you Yoda?

gupsterg
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Is that you Yoda?

.... the force is strong within you.... come over to the dark side... :biglaugh:

You mods are great :biglaugh: I just gotta watch out for Esh and his edit's... :Blush:
But as I joined the dark side maybe... just maybe he know I'm on the same side now... :Blush:

come on zoll... this is a cracking discussion... ;)

Brycie
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
There must be some jokers out there (who shall remain nameless). I just got my first dislike from someone I don't know (never spoken to on forum) for telling A8 Tech that I had Basic+ and that I'd let him know when I'd saved the money to replace my dmf. What's to dislike about that?

Guest 2
04-07-2012, 06:16 PM
There must be some jokers out there (who shall remain nameless). I just got my first dislike from someone I don't know (never spoken to on forum) for telling A8 Tech that I had Basic+ and that I'd let him know when I'd saved the money to replace my dmf. What's to dislike about that?

Name and shame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gupsterg
04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Don't worry about it Brycie :D your top bloke :beerchug:
Does the opinion of someone you don't even know matter...or the people who do know you :flowers1:

I've got 5.. only need two more before I beat Esh :o

Brycie
04-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Lol Chris & Gup :biglaugh:. It had to happen sooner or later as I speak my mind on this forum & am not worried. The little git can dislike all he likes.

Guest 2
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Lol Chris & Gup :biglaugh:. It had to happen sooner or later as I speak my mind on this forum & am not worried. The little git can dislike all he likes.

Regular or a noob?

I could look but can't on my phone ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brycie
04-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Seen the name before a few times, so I don't think a very newbie. Ah well, he got one back - take that ****! (that was his name I blanked, not a name I was calling him lol

Eshrules
04-07-2012, 06:56 PM
It's not the disliked posts that you need to worry about, it's the threats to send their mates round with their keyboards that you really need to worry about!

Brycie
04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
pmsl. Yep, probably be a load of angry icons on my doorstep tonight :biglaugh:.

gupsterg
04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Or the BSOD...
Blue screen of death... :biglaugh:

mates round with their keyboards that you really need to worry about!

I've loaded a super soaker with coffee....
I suggest you do the same Brycie http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif

Sam
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Check my visitor messages for the last person who wanted to kill me for editing/deleting their posts.

I love this place :)

Brycie
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Woah!!! Pmsl, what a freak!

zollaf
05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
don't know if he wants to kill you or date you.

Eshrules
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
I think he'd already dated him, hence the kill part...

Sam
05-07-2012, 02:17 PM
He's right, we dated, it didn't end well, he tried to sell my wheels and well, you know the rest.

gupsterg
10-07-2013, 09:14 AM
I tend to thank members for just going to the trouble of posting.

I do want Roy does on occasions :Blush: ...

We got the old thanks took off the forum due to this sort of abuse of the feature! ;)

So do people get pevved from likes/thanks?

I can remember once A6_Chris got pevved by it ...

Granada

I can remember old Fords, Peugeots and the odd Citroen. Can't remember the model for the live of me though!

EDIT - Stop liking every single post I make!!! It's very annoying!!!

Quote from Link:- Favourite 'Dad's car' (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?139991-Favourite-Dad-s-car&p=765793#post765793)

And A8 Tech ...

stop bloody thanking me ffs :booty::booty::booty::booty:

Link:- BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) - Page 17
(http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?138282-BMK-3-0-TDi-hunting-erratic-idle-revs-%28-Have-I-got-the-most-lemon-A6!!!-%29&p=759330#post759330)
Or did I miss the joke :confused: ...

Hex69
10-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Holy thread revival, Robin

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w163-m-class/249110d1247623245-ml-spare-wheel-carrier-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Brycie
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I do the same Gup, if I find a post funny or particularly useful to other members of the forum, I'll like/thank them even if it's not a thread I'm in on & in no way related to me or my car.

However I almost thanked/liked Martin1810's post the other day but I remember him saying he finds it pointless or a pita, so I don't. And since reading the above post from Chris, I'm more selective about which posts to like/thank, but that's a judgement call. There's no right way to do it, just carry on doing whatever feels right for you mate, it's really not worth you worrying about - you've got bigger things to worry about like a 4th glow plug and integrating a pc into your mmi :D

gupsterg
10-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi ya Hex :) ...

Initially I used to use the rep system if a post related to info I wanted/needed, then after using forum more and sometimes seeing quieter sections I felt it was necessary to use it to sorta say hey good reply I like it even if I didn't need info, at times I felt I wanna thank theposter for sharing/having the knowledge ...

Then it caused me further :confused: would I be causing offence if I didn't thank all posters? which sometimes I've seen on other forums where all participants to a thread get a thanks but a like/dislike relating to content of post and a rep +/- point perhaps to denote if by content shared it reflected well or not on them ...

At times I don't like the rep system and think all people should just post hey thanks for info but then people would be gaining post counts for non useful posts :confused: , which again I've seen on other places is not allowed and deleted ...

At times I use thanks/like/dislike to notify someone I read their reply if I'm not gonna post a reply to it ...

I'm thoroughly :confused: by all these rep systems ...

There's no right way to do it, just carry on doing whatever feels right for you mate, it's really not worth you worrying about

I agree :) ...

you've got bigger things to worry about like a 4th glow plug and integrating a pc into your mmi :D

LOL! as you know mate always meddling! ;) ...

Sam
10-07-2013, 11:37 AM
We used to operate a reputation system which had a series of squares to show how well rep'd a person was - it broke spectacularly so that whenever you clicked on +/- rep it would +/- the amount of rep you had to/from the person you were repping.

So if I had 100 rep points and Gup had 50 and he said something I disagreed with (never gonna happen!), I'd click the minus rep and he'd be on -50.

We swapped it for the Thanks system which gives a better overall idea of what's good and what's not, but unfortunately that broke too, so we had to move to like/dislike which I don't find as useful.

I click the Thanks/Like button when someone posts something that helps me or others. If it's a thread I've started myself or a question I've asked, I'd much rather click Thanks than post a reply to say thanks.

As for how you use it, go nuts, do what feels right.

I'm not going to take the advice of someone with 1 dislike any more seriously than the advice of someone with 600 likes - post count, rep points, likes or dislikes, they don't mean anything - the content of the post is what matters to me.

NickPicks
10-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Holy thread revival, Robin

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w163-m-class/249110d1247623245-ml-spare-wheel-carrier-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

That accounts for it! I was thinking "The forum says I've posted on this thread just a few days ago, but I don't remember it." It's because the date was 2012, and it's 2013 now.

gupsterg
10-07-2013, 12:16 PM
As for how you use it, go nuts, do what feels right.

Thanks Sam :approve: ...

I'm not going to take the advice of someone with 1 dislike any more seriously than the advice of someone with 600 likes - post count, rep points, likes or dislikes, they don't mean anything - the content of the post is what matters to me.

100% spot on mate :) , perhaps I'll start a thread about the irrelevancy of post count as well, why I say that is at times I've found when I reply to a thread where OP is a low user and doesn't know how postaholic I am (:p) they thinks I actually know something or have some kinda official training :yikes: ...

Hex69
10-07-2013, 12:25 PM
100% spot on mate :) , perhaps I'll start a thread about the irrelevancy of post count as well, why I say that is at times I've found when I reply to a thread where OP is a low user and doesn't know how postaholic I am (:p) they thinks I actually know something or have some kinda official training :yikes: ...

I know, having 3.5k posts doesn't automatically make you any wiser than someone with 35 posts, just that you've got the forum equivalent of verbal diarrhoea!

gupsterg
10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
the date was 2012, and it's 2013 now.

:yikes: I've lost so much of my life on here! :1zhelp: :p ...

just that you've got the forum equivalent of verbal diarrhoea!

I have only one option left :p ...

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/catherinka/catherinka1105/catherinka110500005/9523792-closeup-of-hammer-destroying-laptop-keyboard.jpg

Eshrules
10-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Some of us were conceived on VWAF.

gupsterg
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Home?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100309035549/tron/images/e/e9/Tron_legacy_city_2.jpg

MarkTM
12-07-2013, 07:41 AM
If I find a post useful (not necessarily to me) , poignant or funny then I'll like it.

If it's something new to me then I'll thank for it

Sometimes will do both, however I always read the posts and would never automatically click either button if it means nothing to me

So for example if someone did a mod to their car that I wouldn't choose myself I may thank...since it may be useful/desireable to others, if I would do it myself then I would also hit like. If however I didn't like it I'd not click dislike as to me it seems to be bad manners and goes with the old adage "if you can't say anything nice then keep your mouth shut".

I have however 'disliked' twice however when someone has voiced their opinion negatively without anything constructive being said.

Crasher
12-07-2013, 06:29 PM
I worry about appearing to be sycophantic if I like/thank willy nilly.

Brycie
12-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Why? Who's Willy Nilly?

Crasher
12-07-2013, 11:46 PM
He is a very nice man who is always around...