PDA

View Full Version : How many keys associated with your car?

25-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I cannot recall the exact location in the MMI menu, but I noticed that the car tells me there are 3 keys associated with it.

This has confused me, I have two 'proper' keys and the black emergency key.

Should I be concerned about the 3rd key? I cannot understand how the emergency key could count as being associated with the car.

johnsimcox
25-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I cannot recall the exact location in the MMI menu, but I noticed that the car tells me there are 3 keys associated with it.

This has confused me, I have two 'proper' keys and the black emergency key.

Should I be concerned about the 3rd key? I cannot understand how the emergency key could count as being associated with the car.

The emergency key is a fully functioning key and will allow you to start the car if neither of the other keys are present, hence three keys..

25-06-2012, 10:33 AM
But with no 'ID' as such, it seems odd that the car can acknowledge it? Unless there is a setting of 'Emergency key'.

It's also another part that was missed from my handover... I don't know how to start the car with it!

johnsimcox
25-06-2012, 10:44 AM
But with no 'ID' as such, it seems odd that the car can acknowledge it? Unless there is a setting of 'Emergency key'.

It's also another part that was missed from my handover... I don't know how to start the car with it!

The key has the same RFID chip in it as the other keys. You simply start the car in the same way, get in and push the button. If you have to use the key to unlock the driver's door then you need to push the start button as soon as you get in the car, without your foot on the clutch (manual) or Brake (auto) it will simply turn on the ignition but this process will stop the alarm going off

25-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you.

Will have a play with this tonight.