PDA

View Full Version : Question xl or normal tyres

doggydoctor
24-06-2012, 10:02 PM
I am getting four new tyres fitted to my 2005 a3 2.0 tdi. It currently has three different tyres on. They are all 225/45/17 94. Two of them are xl rated and two are not. Does anyone know if my car needs xl rated tyres or not.
Is anyone interested in two part worn full run tyres in the size mentioned?

alankru
25-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Some manufacturers make reinforced low profile tyres for large cars, thereby rating them as extra load. If you look at the tyre pressure listing on your fuel cover, you will note that you can use either XL or non-XL rated tyres and you set different tyre pressures for each.

If you are replacing all 4 tyres, I would recommend that you also get a wheel alignment check. See my post here: Question Tyre guidance please (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?134048-Tyre-guidance-please&p=727752#post727752)

Allroad_anth
25-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Check the sticker inside the fuel flap. It should give the sizes and load rating info.

doggydoctor
25-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I now have 4 nice Michelins load rating I needed was 91 and speed rating y no xl needed. Turns out I was driving around with higher load rating and lower speed rating. Glad to have the right tyres now. Happy with them, they are quieter and more comfortable.
Will check locally for a good place for alignment.
Thanks