PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheel Cleaning

Ayd
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
whats best and the best way of doing it?

I've always used autoglym and a scrubbing brush but they never come up that clean

Col
06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Wonder wheels really is the dogs if they are grubby. I've also used brick acid :o ... which also very good (cheaper to) !

The trick is though, once you have got them up to scratch is to clean them every week without fail and polish / wax them at least every couple of months.

Eshrules
06-08-2007, 10:20 PM
funnily enough, i just use car shampoo, an alloy wheel brush and a good bit of elbow grease ;)

sealing and waxing is essential though, could not agree more, it doesn't mean the dirt will wash straight off, but it does mean that a single wipe with a sponge or brush is enough to take it straight off ;)

cbrpaul
10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
i use a motorcyce cleaner called

" MUC OFF"

spray it on leave for few mins hose off , great stuff ,

golf tdi 02
10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
whats best and the best way of doing it?

I've always used autoglym and a scrubbing brush but they never come up that clean
are you shure you are useing the chems right because i get a perfect finish with autoglym.
also the muc off is good for heavy soiling
happy wheel cleaning

macc70
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
ive tried 4 or 5 wheel cleaners in the last 2 months and find little to seperate them except price. Ive even tried metholated spirits. The secret is to use a soft brush that can get in all the tight spaces and apply a good layer of wax. As yet I dont know how often the wax will need to be applied Ill keep you posted on that one

JR001
14-08-2007, 07:53 PM
As others have said, when wheels are cleansed, then sealed then normal shampooing should rid the wheels of all the dust and grime.

If you then cleanse with an acid cleaner or all purpose cleanser, the thing to remember is that it will remove all the layers of protection that are on the wheels.

Polishing, by its nature, is normally an abrasive process and this will also strip protective layers remember. Make sure the polish does not contain abrasives. Nothing wrong with sponges for wheels (MF Mitt the best and kindest though IMO) but if you use abrasive items like scourers etc then they will remove protection and scratch the clearcoat on your alloys that ultimately lead to a reduction in shine, no matter how often and well you wash them.

When buffing the sealant on your wheels MF cloths do a great job. Soft rags for drying and MF cloths for buffing protective layer.

In the long term, this is all worth it!!! Honest.

SportPD
15-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Wonder wheels then a good wax for me.

Willenium
23-08-2007, 04:41 PM
On my old 15" Fox alloys I used a Comma Alloy Wheel Cleaning Kit which basically consisted of a Spray and a Brush. Spray it on and leave it while you wash the rest of the car and then just get an old toothbrush and hose as you scrub the dirt off.

My Wolfrace rims haven't had a wash as such because I've not had them long. Just used baby wipes to get the dirt off and dried them with kitchen roll.

onzarob
29-08-2007, 10:57 AM
The trick is though, once you have got them up to scratch is to clean them every week without fail and polish / wax them at least every couple of months.

I agreewith this, the thing to remeber with heels is they get hot, so the dirt gets backed on!!!! clean them often and you won't need fancy cleaners;)

Sam
29-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I pay my boy to do it for me.

Meguiars washing strips, a wheel brush and £5 = sparkling rims.

steve baker
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Has anybody any suggestions for removing tar spots from alloys? :o Preferrably something non abrasive.;)

Col
03-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Has anybody any suggestions for removing tar spots from alloys? :o Preferrably something non abrasive.;)

Claybar.

steve baker
03-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Claybar.
Thanks, any particular claybar?

Col
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Preferably an old lump you wouldn't want to use it again on the paint.

JR001
03-09-2007, 08:50 PM

I've found that clay sometimes is not up to this kind of job. Failing clay then a tar and glue remover. Check out Halfords, there's AutoGlym Tar stuff.

Follow the instructions, but remember that any sealant that is protecting your wheels will be removed also, so you'll need to top up after.

Hope this helps,

JOHN

TheEggShell
31-03-2008, 12:39 PM
As already mentioned, the trick is to use a really good wax to prevent having to scrub your wheels clean.

I can highly recommend a wax called 'Poorboy's Wheel Sealant'. I've been using it for the past 6 months and its made life much easier! :D

sdk778
07-04-2008, 04:40 PM
All i've ever used is car shampoo and a trimmed-up 1 1/2 inch paintbrush, perfect everytime.

squinty
29-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I've found that clay sometimes is not up to this kind of job. Failing clay then a tar and glue remover. Check out Halfords, there's AutoGlym Tar stuff.

Follow the instructions, but remember that any sealant that is protecting your wheels will be removed also, so you'll need to top up after.

autoglym intensive tar remover is by far the best that i have used.

after getting them clean, i then apply a coat of megs nxt metal polish, buff off. then 2 coats of poorboys wheel sealant. this stuff really is amazing. only had it on my wheels for about 3 weeks now, but every time i wash the car an easy 90% of the dirt just rinses off. the rest washes off, no need for wheel cleaner!

TheEggShell
30-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Yep, poorboys wheel sealant is awesome!

I've been using their bodywork wax aswell... nattys paste... no complaints there either!!!

ini
30-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I pressure wash my wheels, on a cold, low power/fine mist setting (nothing to damage the lacquer).

Then use car shampoo and a soft wheel brush.

I no longer use any acidic cleaners.

WD40 is very good for removing tar, but must be washed off immediately.

squinty
30-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I pressure wash my wheels, on a cold, low power/fine mist setting (nothing to damage the lacquer).

Then use car shampoo and a soft wheel brush.

I no longer use any acidic cleaners.

WD40 is very good for removing tar, but must be washed off immediately.

it is not a bit risky using a water repellent product around the tyres???

loss of grip=a lovely car in a ditch somewhere

ini
30-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Spot cleaning with a cloth is no problem.

quattrapig
17-11-2009, 05:40 PM
:Blush:My alloys are 10 years old 12600 and are still very good condition. The secret is hose down after nearly every outing a bit of a pain but it gets good results. I have had no exesive wear disc or pads by doing this.

belfastmark
05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi
I use a product called G101, which is meant to be used for cleaning the interior. A dilution of 6 parts G101 and 4 parts water.
Spray it onto the wheels and leave while you wash the car, then give them a blast with a power washer, great result, though if your wheels are in a bad way, you may need to use a stiff wheel cleaning brush to get the worst off, and unlike cleaners that are acid based, it doesn't leave your wheels with a white tinge afterwards.
Also, if you use it on the tyre walls aswell and give them a blast, it removes any excess tyre dressing aswell, leaving her ready for a fresh coat.
Once you acheive your desired result, if you are washing your car use the G101 on the wheels at every wash interval.
Hope this helps.

JimC64
07-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey there.....usually just car shampoo and a wheel brush for me:approve:
Once cleaned a quick dry / wipe over with a microfibre towel sorte them out a treat!
I ALWAYS clean them when the car is cleaned as I also do the exhaust tips as well. I wash the car often and the wheels are a breeze to do . Nothing is ever left there long enough to bake on and embed into the finish.
No offenced to those that use it but I'd never use Wonder wheels as it is a very harsh chemical and will erode your finish very quickly....but, each to their own:beerchug:

elitedetailer
08-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Hi

These two products will sort this problem out in minutes:

Autoglym Tar Remover: http://www.elitedetailer.com/product_info.php?products_id=31&cPath=33_64

Valet Pro Tar Remover: http://www.elitedetailer.com/product_info.php?products_id=484

Either spray onto the wheel and let it soak in for a couple of minutes and then wipe away. Alternatively, soak a cloth with the liquid and rub away the tar spots.

Regards
Elite Detailer Team :beerchug:

elitedetailer
08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
For protecting wheels Nanolex is the best. This will wipe the floor against products such as Chemical Guys and Poorboys wheel sealant. We have many customers who use this on their trackday cars and swear by the stuff.

Nanolex Wheel Sealant Kit : http://www.elitedetailer.com/product_info.php?products_id=298

Regards
Elite Detailer Team :beerchug: