PDA

View Full Version : That Bi-Turbo sound...

mcwill
24-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Took delivery of my A7 BiTdi on Friday, yes it's a great car.

I was expecting good performance and it doesn't disappoint, if anything it exceeds my expectations. The smaller inital turbo makes the car react well even from low speeds.

What I had first discounted as a gimmick when choosing the car, is however rapidly becoming my favourite aspect of it.

That exhaust note is wonderful!

I know it's a manufactured sound but I don't care, in dynamic mode it has a raspy burble that is very intoxicating and makes you forget you are driving a five seat family car.

Guest 2
24-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Glad you enjoy it!

Any pics? Or vids? (although those could wait until a few more miles!)

mcwill
24-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Pics will need to wait until it is washed, as it has already put on more than 300 miles from when it was picked up on Friday afternoon.

Still getting used to it though, this is my first Audi and first auto box so everything is very strange. (Have only gone for the clutch twice; so doing pretty well I think).

jbanfie
25-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi McWill,

Can you have a play with the individual mode and confirm / deny that you can have the exhaust sound on, with engine, gearbox etc in Economy or similar.

That is; you don't have to be in dynamic mode to get the noises!

Cheers

Jon

mcwill
25-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Jon,

Yes, exhaust sound is configurable via the invididual menu. So you can pootle in economy and wake the neighbours if you wish.

Regards,
Iain

robbyg
29-06-2012, 07:25 PM
plus 1 mcwill.
Mine makes me smile alot. In real driving it sounds so much better than the sitting still revving in neutral videos around.
Makes it feel like a big v8. I love it.
Agree with your last sentence about manufactured but still intoxicating 100%
Enjoy!

Steuart64
31-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Just ordered my A7 3.0 TDI 204 PS S-tronic - what is the BiTdi? Dont remember it being mentioned? And this "manufactured sound"? Is it an Audi extra?
Many thanks from a Newbie to be!

robbyg
31-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Steuart, i didnt know they do the 204PS in S tronic but just checked the website and it seems now they do. Interesting, quite abit more money than the multitronic.

Have another look in your brochure or website, the bitdi is basically a sequential twin turbo version of the 3 litre v6 diesel, 313PS, with an 8 speed gbox. The exhaust has no rear silencer to reduce flow resistance and resulting carbon emissions, instead there is a speaker which plays "anti noise" to cancel out the exhaust noise. You can run it in quiet cancelling mode, or dynamic mode which changes the exhaust note to burble like a V8 petrol.

rob

Steuart64
31-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Cheers Robbie

just found it - a bit more power than I needed but Im more a gadget guy - any car can kill me at 70 but Id like to go in style!

Cant wait for week 44 - ordered a moonlight blue s-line with every option - well apart from night vision, led head lights, sun roof, fuel tank, upgraded speakers, heated sterring wheel or rear manual blind. Its still better equipped than my RR Sport Autobigraphy which I threw back at Range Rover (and £13k cheaper!!)

robbyg
31-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I looked at the RR sport too but decided it was too big and thirsty and cumbersome. How come yours got "thrown" back?

I am very pleased with my audi (assuming they fix the door seals at second attempt).

Steuart64
31-08-2012, 10:42 AM
They have an option to control the aux heater in 3 modes - timer, remote and manual on the sat nav touch screen. The manual mode didnt work and it was in for 35 days with LR making the local dealer jump through hoops to no avail. They then said to tell me they have the right to change a spec as it wasnt intended for the UK. They do have that right but not after delivery. I wrote to the CEO and i got a letter back saying they "dont advise" the use of the heater stationary as it uses the same amount of fuel as the main engine! They offered me £500 in LR vouchers as compensation for a £850 option and 35 days loss of use - so I walked away. I loved the car but hate LR customer service attitude. They never said if it works in other regions either!!