PDA

View Full Version : Question A4 b5 1.8t quattro sport temp guage.

macscunge
23-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi there.
I have just bought a 1.8t quattro 180bhp and noticed that when travelling at speed on the motorway the
temp guage drops from the usual 90 degrees to about 75 degrees until I leave the motorway when it goes
back up to 90 again. I have had 2 new thermostats put in. One mechanic I spoke to said this is normal for a
petrol engine. My 2.5 tdi never moved off 90 degrees once warm. Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.
The other issue I have is the reset button the wiper stalk doesn't work. Did work briefly in warmer weather
last week but stopped again.

jamie226bhp
24-06-2012, 09:59 AM
We're they genuine stats as I had two that got stuck open partly thus never letting it get to temp unless actually sat stil

macscunge
24-06-2012, 11:58 AM
We're they genuine stats as I had two that got stuck open partly thus never letting it get to temp unless actually sat stil
Probably not. Does yours stay at 90 now whatever driving conditions? Is yours a petrol?

jamie226bhp
24-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah mine stats at 90 and is the same car as yours

norcostreet
24-06-2012, 01:55 PM
mine does the same, not a quattro but same engine. town driving causes my temp to sit midway but on the motorway it drops to just above minimum. i asked my regular mechanic and he said its normal, the cooling system for these engines is great. if the temp stays high when doing constant motorway speeds, he said the thermostat could be on the blink.

jamie226bhp
24-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Brand new genuine ask on other forums should always sit about 90 orherwise something isn't doing its job properly as that the right engine temp

macscunge
24-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Brand new genuine ask on other forums should always sit about 90 orherwise something isn't doing its job properly as that the right engine temp
Thanks I think I'll replace stat and temp sender myself with genuine audi.

macscunge
04-08-2012, 10:39 PM
mine does the same, not a quattro but same engine. town driving causes my temp to sit midway but on the motorway it drops to just above minimum. i asked my regular mechanic and he said its normal, the cooling system for these engines is great. if the temp stays high when doing constant motorway speeds, he said the thermostat could be on the blink.

Late response but just to say I went to audi and bought a genuine audi stat and the temp stays at 90 degrees whatever driving I am doing.
The previous thermostats were not genuine audi parts. Your temp guage should read 90 degrees even with motorway driving, no question.