PDA

View Full Version : thinking of changing my standard seats for half leather/leather.

pablo66
23-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Hi All

I am thinking of changing my standard seats in a 1.9 tdi avant a4 for a half leather or even full leather they dont have to be heated or anything but am wondering what are my options and will I run into any problems namely with the air bags in the seats or is it just a matter of exchanging them or will have to go into the ecu and change parameters just wondering has anyone carried this out or am I getting into something I may regret later

Thanks all

Gizmo68
23-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I have not done this on an A4 but have done it on several other VAG models.

1/ Disconnect the battery
2/ Remove seats - make sure you unplug the wires!
3/ Check the airbag plugs (yellow ones) are the same as on the seats you are going to fit - if not then these need changing over
4/ Fit new seats and reconnect the wires
5/ Reconnect the battery

If you connect the battery and turn the ignition on with an airbag unplugged then you will need someone with VCDS to turn off the airbag light!

pablo66
23-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Gizmo68
thanks for the reply,so the only thing I have to really worry about is the plugs for the airbags if they are not the same does that mean they are not compatible with my own (if they are different, when you change the plugs will the ecu recognise them) can they be made to fit and if so do you know how.
cheers.

Gizmo68
23-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes 'simply' swap the plugs over, I even changed 2 wire airbags (seat side) to 3 wire airbag plugs (car side) and they were perfect, just make sure if the wires are different colours you connect them the correct way.

On the Vehicle I had:

Brown - Earth
Green - Airbag Control Unit Plug T75a
Yellow - Airbag Control Unit Plug T75a

But the seats were:
BLACK - Airbag Control Unit Plug T75a
BLUE - Airbag Control Unit Plug T75a

As they did not need an earth, if the seats come out of a similar model and age car then the plugs may well be the same anyway, there is no VCDS coding needed.