PDA

View Full Version : Audi 90 auto box service

m4xmw
21-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Well, just changed the fluid with new filter kit...... OMG the car drove well before, but now its soooo much smoother.

Had a right job finding the pan gasket, filter etc, so resorted to getting a full kit off ebay US!
Arrived after 4 days and was of very good quality.
There were only 300 or so Audi 90 2.3e Autos made I think for the uk, with just 15 still on the road.
So its difficult to obtain gearbox service parts( 3 speed 1990 model year).I reckon this gearbox is much more common in the states.

Anyway the old fluid was clear but dark brown, and the service history didnt indicate it ever being changed.
The car has 61,000 miles under its belt, not bad for a 1990 car! So I`m trying to maintain this properly so it will last a long time!
So dropped the auto sump pan, cleaned the pan carefully, it just had a small silt residue along the bottom, the filter screen came off with 2 screws and was replaced with the new one in the kit, the screen holder had a fine layer of silt that was easily cleaned off. A new thin gasket was replaced, all the bottom of the gearbox internals given a wipe over.
The old pan gasket was hard and broke apart whilst removing, so the whole sump pan was thoroughly cleaned.
The new gasket was offerred up to the pan and carefully all placed back on the gearbox with the 4 bolts.
Filling tube was bolted back on and 2.5 litres of Dexron 3 ATF slowly poured in via a small funnel.
I checked the gasket wasnt leaking undernealth and carried on.
Engine started all the positions on the gearbox were selected and the level checked again.
It needs checking to the 20 degree C mark.
A small amount was added and then the car given a test run.
Before the change of fluid, the car could be felt changing gear and it took a while sometimes for it to change into top or 3rd gear.
Now it is much smoother changing gear and drops into top gear(3rd) much sooner.
I`m guessing the new fluid is enabling all the valves etc to work better and there is much less residue to slow things down too! Oh and its nice and bright red now too!
£18 delivered for the filter(from the USA) and £20 for 4.5litres of quality ATF and its feels like a different car, very satisfying job completed.
Now just need to change the brake fluid as the next job when I get a spare couple of hours.
Working on my car beats being sat in from of the TV after work for sure!

Just thought I`d share my little service experience.