PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control with an manual gearbox.

skibuddy
19-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Would you expect standard cruise control to dissengage when you depress the clutch? Obviously it does if you touch the brake peddle. This was certainly the case on my A4 but not it would seem on the A6. Also, if you lower the cruise control speed setting significant, e.g 10 mph, then I can feel the car actively braking. Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when this happens. Was thinking I would have to get someone to follow me to find out. Not too closely of course.

MFGF
19-06-2012, 06:33 PM
The newer model Audis have electronic throttle control, and they are able to maintain cruise control settings between gear changes - on older models with manual throttle control, pressing the clutch would disengage the cruise.

Cruise can also apply the brakes to bring down the speed if required. I'm not sure 100% sure whether the brake lights come on, but I would strongly suspect they do. Audi wouldn't want law suits from accidents caused by Audis braking without displaying brake lights to following cars.

Cheers!

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nealeb
20-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that I have seen brake lights come on when CC is slowing the car, based on reflections seen in the mirror at night.

skibuddy
20-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Not that I have it as an option but I am guessing that ACC makes far more sense on an automatic than a manual.

nealeb
26-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Probably right. Although I wouldn't have expected it, I'm sure that ACC is a major reason for reduced driver fatigue on long journeys, alongside the auto gearbox.

Timothy Nathan
26-06-2012, 11:57 AM
ACC together with Active Lane Assist make long distance driving almost entirely stress free. I find that I can chat with passengers or listen to the radio and arrive as fresh as if I had been sitting at home.

I love it.