PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 tdi pd 130 SMOKE PROBLEM

a6mother
07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I recently bought a 1.9 tdi pd 130 audi a6 from 2003 with 42000miles.
The car drives very well and the engine feels healty and powerful.

However, I noticed a significant amount of smoke in the mirrors when accelerating hard - and I wonder whether this is a sign of engine wear or it's normal. When the engine is warm there's no smoke at idle or when revving (around 2500-3000revs). But when I asked a friend to drive it from cold (after two days of not being driven), they accelerated hard and filled the whole street with an alarming amount of blue-white smoke.
I would very much appreciate your opinions on this.
Regards.

snapdragon
08-06-2006, 10:24 AM
You aren't supposed to drive any car hard before the engine is warmed up, it even says that in the VW owner's manual. It is bad for the car, and bad for emmissions. The compression in the cylinder will leach away due to the thermal leakage into the cold engine, thus you will get knocking and partially burned fuel in the exhaust. Remember Boyle's Law from school?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamics

a6mother
08-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I totally agree with you and thanks for the link - very informative!
Usually I drive moderately whether engine is warm or not. But in certain situations, (like going uphill and accelerating) the car produces smoke. I haven't noticed this with my previous octavia 1.9tdi 90bhp but perhaps I wasn't watching so obssesively...

devonutopia
08-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Download this short clip of my car on Castle Combe pit straight. ;) And never worry about any smoke yours puts out ever again. (and this is semi-normal for a TDI as highly tuned as mine)

http://altarmoore.com/jason/CCOMBE2006/SMOKE3.wmv

tannerman
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi I had a problem with my 02 passat which is simular to yours, it ended up being the flexible turbo pipe which had split, it is located on the passenger side of the car underneath. Do you get a very slight flat spot just before it smokes if so it could well be the same problem, other than that it could be the turbo, if it is worn on the shaft when cold it allows movement forcing the smoke past the turbo and out of the exhaust but on expansion when warm it isn't quite as bad. hope this helps.
I recently bought a 1.9 tdi pd 130 audi a6 from 2003 with 42000miles.
The car drives very well and the engine feels healty and powerful.

However, I noticed a significant amount of smoke in the mirrors when accelerating hard - and I wonder whether this is a sign of engine wear or it's normal. When the engine is warm there's no smoke at idle or when revving (around 2500-3000revs). But when I asked a friend to drive it from cold (after two days of not being driven), they accelerated hard and filled the whole street with an alarming amount of blue-white smoke.
I would very much appreciate your opinions on this.
Regards.

glynnd
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
My passat tdi 130 does not smoke when hot or cold and has done 97 k now

a6mother
09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi I had a problem with my 02 passat which is simular to yours, it ended up being the flexible turbo pipe which had split, it is located on the passenger side of the car underneath. Do you get a very slight flat spot just before it smokes if so it could well be the same problem, other than that it could be the turbo, if it is worn on the shaft when cold it allows movement forcing the smoke past the turbo and out of the exhaust but on expansion when warm it isn't quite as bad. hope this helps.

I will take it into a garage to get it checked anyway. Does anyone know a good independent VAG garage in or around London?

a6mother
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Download this short clip of my car on Castle Combe pit straight. ;) And never worry about any smoke yours puts out ever again. (and this is semi-normal for a TDI as highly tuned as mine)

http://altarmoore.com/jason/CCOMBE2006/SMOKE3.wmv

Very impressive! It's like a rocket. ;)
The smoke from your Fabia is black - which is totally normal.

TPM
21-06-2006, 05:23 AM
My passat tdi 130 does not smoke when hot or cold and has done 97 k now

Very helpful reply :rolleyes:

lenmolloy
03-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi

I am contemplating buying an 02 Tdi Sport Passat. It has 80000 miles on it and I was wondering if there are any specific problems I should look for. I have driven a colleagues Passat and I was very impressed. However, I am concerned that 80000 miles seems quite high. Please advise!!!

glynnd
03-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Look at the following
Suspension links worn making knocking noise over bumps
Radiator leaking from bottom left hand corner as you look at the car
Water pump noisy, should have been replaced with the cambelt
Seat belts retracting slowly
Water leaks into front footwells, pollen filter seal perished
Air mass meter defective, loss of performance after 2500rpm

:biglaugh:

tannerman
03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Dont worry about high mileage these cars are good for well over 250k if serviced properly, Look in your local town at private hire cars, most will be passats octavias etc all the same VW sourced engines, i have heard from taxi drivers that the gearboxs tend to go at about 150k so no real problems there. One thing to watch out for is clocking, due to the high miles these cars can go and still feel tight they are prime for clocking. When i was looking for mine i was tempted by a 56k estate FVSH etc, it wasn't till i looked closer that i found that the service book was a duplicate and that the VW dealer had stuck a sticker on the drivers side door slam saying next service Dec 06 or 120k, the car defied it,s 100k plus miles so be careful, if it has dealer history 9 times out of 10 it will have a sticker in the door slam check it out....good luck

lenmolloy
04-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks. Thats very reassuring

Wookie
26-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Just a thought, black smoke usually indicates poor combustion ie: fuelling issues, white smoke usually means it's burning oil. I accept that this is a bit of a generalisation but it is worth a look.

ds2000
30-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Not quite true:

Blue smoke is oil
Black is fuel
White is coolant