PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Airbag (non) fault

analyst
15-06-2012, 02:53 PM
(originally posted in wrong place)

Trying to route a small wire through for a switch I tried to remove the glove box.
(Why do VW make it so bloody HARD to access anything? Give me the "good old days" any time)

In demounting the glove box I key-switched the airbag off and tried to remove the (yellow) multi-connector, . . . and failed, but did prize it out a little!

However, I worked around it in-situ to get the job done. But now, when I reconnected the battery, on turning ignition on I get an airbag fault message, and then warning light stays on dial.

Clearly, this 'warning' is related to what I did and there is not real airbag fault.

Is there any way around this without an expensive visit to a . . . oops, forum rules prevent me saying it now.

[When the UK government forced UK dealers to reduce new car prices to bring us more in line with europe there was an overall price reduction of approx 12%. In the same year servicing costs were shown to have increased by 40%. I believe that manufacturers have contrived to make home servicing almost impossible by the use of (avoidable) technology and furthermore that they can and will be pre-programming cars with covert "fail cycles" to generate more income. I state this purely as an opinion, because I know technology now makes it possible.]

Guest 2
17-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Clear it with vcds as you have turned the car on while the switch was disconnected and has created an error.

analyst
18-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks . . . and vcds is where?

smithy602179
18-06-2012, 09:02 AM
vcds is a diagnostic program for the vw

caldirun
22-06-2012, 11:07 PM
The connector may be dislodged or damaged, if the battery was disconnected when you did it you have a still have a fault, clearing it will not help as it will flag up again.

analyst
16-07-2012, 10:41 PM
. . . clearing it will not help as it will flag up again.

Hmmm, so that means that buying the vcds could prove to be a pointless exercise in added costs :aargh4:
But I have to buy it anyway, just to find that out. Great!

caldirun
17-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Hmmm, so that means that buying the vcds could prove to be a pointless exercise in added costs :aargh4:
But I have to buy it anyway, just to find that out. Great!
If you plan to keep the car and do your own repairs VCDS is almost indispensable, you will soon learn this, best $99 Ive spent on the car.

analyst
17-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your response. I was referring to the fact it now appears that getting vcds may not solve the problem anyway.

But as for
VCDS is almost indispensable somehow I have never needed it in the past 5 years, and I strongly suspect I won't again in the next 5.

Toonmania
18-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks for your response. I was referring to the fact it now appears that getting vcds may not solve the problem anyway.

But as for somehow I have never needed it in the past 5 years, and I strongly suspect I won't again in the next 5.

Well maybe you could buy a cheap lead off Ebay a(about £8) then run download VCDS Lite (free program) that will clear the fault code for you, either that or pay £100 per hour labor charge in a garage, the choice is yours :D I'm like you and have not needed VCDS but i did buy the Ebay lead and also a handheld code reader total cost around £30 and have paid for themselves just with a couple of uses.

caldirun
18-07-2012, 08:09 AM

But as for somehow I have never needed it in the past 5 years, and I strongly suspect I won't again in the next 5.
You deleted the pertinent part of my message,
"If you plan to keep the car and do your own repairs VCDS is almost indispensable"
If you plan to keep your car, ie the NEXT 5 years.
Do your own repairs, have you paid a garage to work on it?

analyst
19-07-2012, 11:51 AM
OK, I've taken your advice and bought the cable and VCDS software.

Hope that'll make me a happy chappie :D