PDA

View Full Version : Question Cam Belt setting Check

PCDoctor
13-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi All

Im concerned that my cam belt on my 1.9tdi 2003 is not fitted correctly ie it is slightly out of where it should be...

Finding a lot of bad things with by local indi i'm having to put right, and to be ohnest been putting right for some time...

Without dropping the whole front of the car off .. is it possible to check it in situ with the right tools

If someone could tell me there exsperience i would gratefully listen to what is required

zollaf
13-06-2012, 01:10 PM
all you can do is pin remove the crank pulley and place the locking tool in situ and see if the timing pin will go in the cam pulley by removing the top cover. not sure on your car if you can get the pulley off without putting the front into service position or not though.

Col
14-06-2012, 04:18 PM
You can do it with VCDS by measuring the cam/crank sync angle in measuring block 4.

PCDoctor
15-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi BigCol

I Have read this in a few places but also read its not the full picture ie it can look good in VCD but still be incorrect ... does that make sense

Col
15-06-2012, 03:53 PM
It does as it only measures the sync between the cam and crank. That however is a very good starting point and would generally allow you decide if it is worth further investigation.

Further investigation would involve putting the front end in the service position, removing the aux belt, the cam covers and installing the timing tools. To do that lot you may as well change the belt for not a lot more effort.

I'd measure the sync angle first!