PDA

View Full Version : Help with Alloy Wheel choice

jdwoodbury
13-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I am a little undecided on which alloys to go for, unfortunately it seems difficult to find an S-Line with 19" and 20" wheels to view to make a decision.

My choice is between these 2:

19" 7 twin spoke (RS4 style)
20" 5 segment spoke (RS6 style)

My wife has already ruled out the rotor arm alloys as she does not like the gunmetal colour. So what are your thoughts, I am drawn to the 20" even though they are £500 extra, but concerned about how easy they are to curb. Does anyone have these wheels, any photos?

JD

13-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I've gone for the 19" twin spokes on my S-Line Avant JD. I'm hoping for a picture from the dealer when it arrive later this week. I'll have more pictures once it's been detailed on the 21st too.

I liked the RS6 style wheels, my wife didn't. She liked the Rotors, I didn't! We decided to save the extra money (both initial, and on future tyre costs) and put it towards something else.

IMO, the C7 does benefit in the looks department from having the 20" wheel

ninjabob
13-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty careful and even the standard 18" alloys on the S line only have to come close to the kerb to get chunks out of them. That is why I am extremely irritated that this car (with the folding mirror package) does not come standard with the automatically lowering passenger reverse mirror. I bought the three year repair package and think I will be glad I did!

13-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty careful and even the standard 18" alloys on the S line only have to come close to the kerb to get chunks out of them. That is why I am extremely irritated that this car (with the folding mirror package) does not come standard with the automatically lowering passenger reverse mirror. I bought the three year repair package and think I will be glad I did!

There's normally a claim limit on that sort of policy, is there on the Audi product? Do you mind sharing what you paid for it?

MFGF
13-06-2012, 12:52 PM

You could get a local forum member with VCDS to enable mirror dip for you. Why not ask in the VCDS section?

MF.

ninjabob
13-06-2012, 03:55 PM
There's normally a claim limit on that sort of policy, is there on the Audi product? Do you mind sharing what you paid for it?

No problem - I got Autoglym Lifeshine + SMARTProtect Plus for £475 - should have cost £499 + £699 - hit them with it at the last minute as a sort of deal breaker!!

I was able to obtain GAP insurance much cheaper that AUDIs Asset Protection Plus

There own Car Insurance was very competitive

"
Autoglym Lifeshine

Autoglym LifeShine is a technologically advanced system of treatments to protect and enhance the interior and exterior materials of your car with a comprehensive lifetime warranty.
Paintwork Protection
All exterior paintwork is treated with a unique protective water repellant coating which ensures maximum resistance to environmental hazards making it easier to keep clean whilst maintaining a deep glossy shine.
Upholstery Protection
Upholstery (fabrics, leather) and carpets are treated with a durable waterproof coating to seal out moisture and resist staining. Accidental spillages simply bead on the surface, whilst dust and sticky marks are easily removed. SMARTProtect Plus
The SMART Protect cover provides Small Motor Accident Repair Technology that will help to keep your vehicle in showroom condition, without compromising your insurance no claims bonus discount.
Protects against costly repairs when your vehicle suffers from small dents, chips, light scratches and minor scuffs including damage to Alloy Wheels. A mobile repair facility will arrange to conduct the repairs, at no cost to you, at either your home or your place of work (subject to the terms and limit set out in the policy document).
Three years cover which will pay for body and paint repairs up to a cumulative value of £3000 plus alloy wheel repairs up to a cumulative value of £1000. All repairs are fully guaranteed for a period of three years."

ninjabob
13-06-2012, 04:00 PM
You could get a local forum member with VCDS to enable mirror dip for you. Why not ask in the VCDS section?

MF.

Sounds like a plan - could I obtain this software and the neccesary hardware (usb cable interface) by nafarious means !! There are cheap cables on Ebay but I suspect they maybe useless on such an up to date car?

13-06-2012, 04:24 PM
No problem - I got Autoglym Lifeshine + SMARTProtect Plus for £475 - should have cost £499 + £699 - hit them with it at the last minute as a sort of deal breaker!!

I was able to obtain GAP insurance much cheaper that AUDIs Asset Protection Plus

There own Car Insurance was very competitive

"
Autoglym Lifeshine

Autoglym LifeShine is a technologically advanced system of treatments to protect and enhance the interior and exterior materials of your car with a comprehensive lifetime warranty.

Paintwork Protection

All exterior paintwork is treated with a unique protective water repellant coating which ensures maximum resistance to environmental hazards making it easier to keep clean whilst maintaining a deep glossy shine.

Upholstery Protection

Upholstery (fabrics, leather) and carpets are treated with a durable waterproof coating to seal out moisture and resist staining. Accidental spillages simply bead on the surface, whilst dust and sticky marks are easily removed.
SMARTProtect Plus

The SMART Protect cover provides Small Motor Accident Repair Technology that will help to keep your vehicle in showroom condition, without compromising your insurance no claims bonus discount.

Protects against costly repairs when your vehicle suffers from small dents, chips, light scratches and minor scuffs including damage to Alloy Wheels. A mobile repair facility will arrange to conduct the repairs, at no cost to you, at either your home or your place of work (subject to the terms and limit set out in the policy document).

Three years cover which will pay for body and paint repairs up to a cumulative value of £3000 plus alloy wheel repairs up to a cumulative value of £1000. All repairs are fully guaranteed for a period of three years."

Thanks for that. The SmartProtect sounds interesting. I wonder how much a single wheel refurb would be billed at though? I'm familiar with AG Lifeshine and am sorry to say I'm not it's greatest fan. I've finally sorted out the protection that will be going on my car and have ended up with GTechniq C1+ and the other products from the range for wheels, carpets, leather etc.

shabazmo
13-06-2012, 11:08 PM
The choice for me was simple. Go for the wheels that are easy to clean.

jdwoodbury
14-06-2012, 05:50 AM
5678 - I will be very interested to see those pictures once you have them.

JD

jdwoodbury
14-06-2012, 05:53 AM
I am also going for GTechinq for protection, way better that Lifeshine product which I would never trust a dealer to apply anyway. I will get a full protection detail done by a professional (cost £375) rather than let them clean it at PDI.

14-06-2012, 07:40 AM
No worries. Speaking to the dealer today so hopefully it's arrived. Otherwise I've just booked it's detail and protection for a week today. I'm a bit excited now!

My car is Oolong btw.

ti rich
14-06-2012, 01:20 PM
I have Oolong Grey, not seen that many others.

14-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I have Oolong Grey, not seen that many others.

We spent a lot of time looking before deciding. Initial thought was just go for Daytona, but it's a bit too common on Audis. Moonlight blue is nice, but it was too similar to the Monaco Blue of my current BMW.

robob123
15-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I've got Daytona grey with 5 arm 19". Works well and the wheels are very easy to clean, with a hand mitt.