PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed & Appreciated

STEVEP
06-08-2007, 06:28 AM
:1zhelp: Firstly this is my first post so HELLO to all.
I recently purchased a T-Reg 1.4s Golf.
The problem is the car keeps stalling on approach to junctions & roundabouts or any time I am slowing and changing down gears.
Its a if it dosnt like any "rapid" reduction in speed. It has also happened when exiting the motorway.
It is really is a worry as it is happening all the time and the thought that the remedy could be very costly... well
Everything else about the car is great - The engine runs so quietly I cant actually hear it cutting out... There are no warning lights showing on the dash ????????
If anyone has any advice they can give - Even if its a list of things I can get checked in order of probability I really would be grateful
(By the way its got just under 70000miles on the clock if it helps)

Many Thanks

Eshrules
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
:1zhelp: Firstly this is my first post so HELLO to all.
I recently purchased a T-Reg 1.4s Golf.
The problem is the car keeps stalling on approach to junctions & roundabouts or any time I am slowing and changing down gears.
Its a if it dosnt like any "rapid" reduction in speed. It has also happened when exiting the motorway.
It is really is a worry as it is happening all the time and the thought that the remedy could be very costly... well
Everything else about the car is great - The engine runs so quietly I cant actually hear it cutting out... There are no warning lights showing on the dash ????????
If anyone has any advice they can give - Even if its a list of things I can get checked in order of probability I really would be grateful
(By the way its got just under 70000miles on the clock if it helps)

Many Thanks

id suspect either the throttle body or the idle control valve mate... have you had the car code read? :Blush:

STEVEP
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for taking trouble to reply...
Please excuse my ignorance but when you ask if I've had the car code read is that when it is hooked up to the "computer" to see if any faults are recorded in the ECU ?
Not done anything at all yet, wanted some idea of where fault may be first.

I have just been reading that some ECU'S ( 038 906 018 BM ) on the TD 110 - are acknowledged as faulty however replacement is about £800 - I really hope this does not apply to mine - Any idea what the TD 110 refers to or if there is any way of identifying which ECU is fitted to my vehicle?
Again many thanks for your help

neileg
06-08-2007, 02:34 PM
The TD110 refers to the 110 bhp turbo diesel engine, so you can forget about this since your's is a pertol engine.

STEVEP
06-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Phewwww!!!!................Massive sigh of relief !!
Thanks very much for that..

abermaster
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Hello There,
Your Trottle body has its own ECU and it has to be basic set via a plug in diagnostic computer so that the engine ECU learns where idle/part throttle ETc is.My advice would be to give it a good clean and get the basic settings done which some independants could possibly do with the correct software Eg VAG/COM once the basics are learnt and storred it should then idle correctly

Best Wishes Mate

STEVEP
06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Hello There,
Your Trottle body has its own ECU and it has to be basic set via a plug in diagnostic computer so that the engine ECU learns where idle/part throttle ETc is.My advice would be to give it a good clean and get the basic settings done which some independants could possibly do with the correct software Eg VAG/COM once the basics are learnt and storred it should then idle correctly

Best Wishes Mate
Thanks again so much for advice.
The car is booked in tomorrow morning for diagnostics 9:00am
Hopefully gonna get them to clean the throttle body and take things from there..
Will post tomorrow with update......... Hopefully goodnews ( Fingers Crossed )
Again Many Thanks

STEVEP
08-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi all just for Info - Took the car into the garage on Tuesday & explained to the bloke in there what was happening (stalling)and that I wanted the throttle box housing cleaning.
The guy in the garage looked a mixture of puzzled and amused :boggled: and suggested running the diagnostics first ( which was what I wanted anyway) The diagnostics were showing a M.A.F sensor fault and I was advised that this needed changing. As the car did seem to be struggling to gain speed etc I said OK to this.
The sensor has been changed however the throttle box housing was not cleaned as the "expert" in the garage said that changing the MAF sensor would sort the problem (Wanted to save me money) :aargh4:..............
I drove the car back home with no noticable improvement? In fact the only change seemed to be that the clutch had started to squeak
I then decided to attempt to remove and clean the TBH myself - With instruction from the manual and online. This was not as daunting as it at first appeared and the fact that my engine is the one with the throttle cable and therefore not a motorised valve meant there was less chance of me damaging it and less pipes to disconnect to get it out.
The whole "operation" took me approx 3 of hours (a large proportion of that was getting the grime off the TBH ) Put everything back together and then it was moment of truth time........
Took the car for a test drive and almost immediately thought about checking the VIN number to make sure it was the same vehicle.......Cant believe it - WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS HONESTLY LIKE HAVING A NEW CAR...........
I WOULD LIKE TO CONVEY MY SINCEREST THANKS TO THE MEMBERS THAT TOOK TIME TO REPLY TO ME - THANKYOU !:D

Col
09-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Great news.

I hope this inspires you to get your spanners out more often, you'll save a fortune and probably do a better job !