PDA

View Full Version : boot and rear fog and numberplate lights not working

foden2012
12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
grrr, was going to put work bag in car and head for home earlier but couldnt open the boot of my saloon 3.0tdi s line, couldn't hear any motor noise or clicking or clunking, just seemed dead. got in and fired the old girl up, popped her in D an had a chorus of warning tones telling me right rear fog light not working, left rear fog light not working and number plate lights not working, tried checking fuses in side of dash but couldn't find a dud or a slot for the offending item, are there any other fuses elsewhere? says on the cover 'more fuses in e box...auxilary relay?' manuals are stuck in boot...typical
any help would be smashing
matt

royster
13-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Sounds like the wiring loom to the boot lid is either severed or one of the connectors has fallen out. Can you get to the boot through the backseat? If so you might have break your boot lid trim to be able access the boot lock (it requires the boot to be open to remove it intact according to the haynes manual) and you should be able to release the latch with the aid of a screwdriver to flick the catch. Then the real diagnostics begin. It might be worth getting someone with VAGCOM do run some diagnostics on the central convience unit as thats what controls the boot lid switch and lock.

Had a similar problem on the girlfriends bora where the lock was bust and it wouldn't open.

kite
13-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Is your footwell wet?

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

royster
13-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Of course water in the passenger footwell where the conv control is. A good starter for 10!

foden2012
13-06-2012, 07:04 PM
footwell is as dry as a squirrels nut bag, check that regular as had water feature in my passat years ago. wiriing loom sounds like a good suggestion, any ideas how to get into the boot? i dont have fold down seats :-( can anything be poked at through the number plate light holes?
cheers for helping

royster
13-06-2012, 08:15 PM
I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual. One way might be is to disconnect the boot wiring loom from the control unit under the carpet then liven up the boot unlock wire and see if it does the trick. Had a thought as all the stuff in the boot lid shares a common earth so this may have something to do with it....

royster
13-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Had a look in Haynes manual and the back seat comes out without having to go into the boot. Is there metal slam panel at the back of the boot preventing access if the seat came out? Sorry got an estate so not that familiar with the saloon back seat.

foden2012
16-06-2012, 11:10 AM
as far as i can remember the back of the seats in the boot was just grey cloth. i cant do PM's yet because i'm a new boy but will have a dig around the back seats and see if i can get them out.

royster
16-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Sent you a PM with my email address.

Sounds like you should be able to get the back seat out. You need to get the bench out first the take out the rear support. Just to warn you that you need to get some more clips from the dealer to hold the seat in place as these are designed to break just like the door card ones.

Jamiem
15-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Hi sorry to bump an old thread! A mate has just bought a 2007 b7 a4 and has this exact problem. Both rear fog lights and number plate lights not working. I've had the trim off and no obvious broken wires or plugs adrift, and also checked behind the inner NSR quarter trim for any damage or plugs adrift and again all seems good. Did the OP ever get to the bottom of the problem, or anyone else able to chime in on this one please?

kite
15-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi sorry to bump an old thread! A mate has just bought a 2007 b7 a4 and has this exact problem. Both rear fog lights and number plate lights not working. I've had the trim off and no obvious broken wires or plugs adrift, and also checked behind the inner NSR quarter trim for any damage or plugs adrift and again all seems good. Did the OP ever get to the bottom of the problem, or anyone else able to chime in on this one please?

There is only one rear fog, right hand side.
Are there any bulb out warnings on the DIS.
Do you have power at the lamps ?

I wish I could tpye...

Jamiem
15-02-2013, 03:50 PM
There is definitely 2, the dashboard even tells me that both the left and right rear fog lights aren't working. It also says about the number plate lights not working. The bulbs are all good, will check with a multimeter for power. The boot latch is also not working, only by using the key lock.

kite
15-02-2013, 04:06 PM
You could look at the loom that is close to the left hand boot hinge.

I wish I could tpye...

foden2012
17-02-2013, 08:47 PM
My mate found power to the number plate bulbs and diagnosed a bad earth. By earthing the power to the number plate bulbs he was then able to pop the boot and re wire a earth from the boot loom into the spare wheel area.

Jamiem
19-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Checked power at the bulbs today - only 1v, earths are all good, so any ideas?

corino
22-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Hi Jamiem, have you sorted this and how if so? I'm suffering from the identical issue at the moment so any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

birdsmith
05-05-2016, 12:10 AM
hello room I have audi a4 b7 2007 sline I have exact same problem , no fog lights no number plate lights no electric boot , where do I look please and how can I fix this please ??
bird288@talktalk.net thanks guys

corino
05-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Check the shared ground wire mate cause thats what it is

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

colinraj11
17-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Hi all sorry to bump an old thread, I have same issue on my 2005 Audi a4 3.2 V6 FSI. Rear number plate, rear fogs not working. and boot central locking not working. Dash says both rear fogs and also number plate lights out. In regards to a poor shared earth, anyone have any recommendations on running new earth in? Left side of boot has cables in copex. Anyone able to specify what colour cable is the shared earth and how to best go about getting a good earth. Drill hole into chasis and bolt down, then solder and heat shrink cable to which ever colour cable is the shared earth???

Thanks in advance