PDA

View Full Version : A6 colour choice

thehorse
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Pretty much decided I will be ordering an A6 in the next week or so for my next company car and trying to decide on the best colour.

Will go for the Avant S-line 3.0tdi multitronic (as it has the same CO2 and seemingly better mpg than the 2.0)

I want to go for privacy glass as I've kids in the back and will be transporting a mountain bike.

narrowed it down to the following...

Ice silver or quartz grey
+ classy and understated
+ will show off lines well
+ will hide the dirt
+ will keep the cabin cool
- £655 option that will mean I will have to lose the dab and high beam assist

Brilliant Black
+ Looks pretty cool when clean
+ I won't be a white Audi driver!
+ £0 option so extra cash for DAB/high beam assist
- Shows the dirt/swirls
- heats up the interior
- might be a bit too black with the privacy glass

Ibis White
+ Looks great
+ hides the dirt
+ keeps the interior cool
+ £0 option so extra cash for DAB/high beam assist
+ should look good with the privacy glass
- I'll be a white Audi driver (spent the past few months ribbing a mate over his white Audi)
- a bit chavtastic

I know ultimately I'll have to make my own choice but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions - I'm probably leaning more to the Ibis white at the moment

Guest 2
12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Ice Silver over all of those especially after seeing this ... ;)

A real credit to its owner :D

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?133775-C7-Pictures

TopherGeorge
12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I always think that I've silver looks like the car is unfinished. Not sure why.

Ok well I had an ibis white a6 that went wrong, a brilliant black one was given to me for three months while I awaited my new ibis white car. My original thinking was oh dear I'm now a chav but it's actually grown on me. I guess it depends on this, when I drove the black car nobody seemed to notice the car, with the white more people have given me compliments on the street and look at it (this could just be because they are chavs). So do you want to be discrete or noticed. Again my last white one was vandalised....it maybe stands out too much.

http://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a1cb-ef1a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a1e1-9286.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a1f9-c4b7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a213-56ab.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a237-ff04.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a24a-fa47.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a450-0d87.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a469-46c2.jpg

Like I said at first I despised it but I now secretly love it. And for all those who say its chavvy secretly love it too.

thehorse
12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow, that looks awesome - think I'll definitely be joining the white audi chav club!

MFGF
12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I really like the car in white! It's very similar to silver in some lights. Beautiful car you have!!!

MF.

a8toa6convert
12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
In your position, I'd go for white every time. I slightly prefer silver, but you're spending 99% of your time inside the car, when you'll be benefiting from the DAB and high beam assist.....

robbyg
12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
i have havannah black with privacy glass. Its not too black, i was worried about the same.
I am similar to tophergeorge on silver. But i really like black cars.

If you go for black i would recommend go metallic as the finish is usually tougher. Brilliant black will show marks etc like crazy.

If you are worried about swirls then clean it more carefully - google the two bucket method, i have done this on my last two cars, zero swirls. Fantatstic!

I am not cool enough for white ;)

Brycie
12-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Ice silver or white for me too. I'd put more emphasis on how I felt about the look of the car every time I see it than anything else. I'd be more than happy to flick the main beams on & off manually and live with fm radio to ensure I was 100% happy looking at the car when I opened my front door.

I'd also discount the cabin heat casued by darker colours as a deciding factor too. You can just use the comfort function on your key to undo all the windows as you approach the car to get the air flowing before you get in. Biggest deciding factor for me therefore would be colour as I reckon if you really liked silver & went for white/black as a compromise, you'd feel a little gutted every time a silver one passed you on the road.

TopherGeorge
12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Actually as mentioned earlier I would avoid the brilliant black. My old 2007 A6 was black and it really showed imperfections, scratched and marks. I was really displeased with the finish after a few years, and it was only ever hand washed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/b0fb050a-a750-45ac.jpg

I think the white reflects the light so well that it's hard to spot imperfections in the pain.

I'd say go with you gut, wether that be black, white or silver.

chody
12-06-2012, 09:34 PM
audi's always look great in silver but i really like the white one my neighbour has , it looks amazing when cleaned and polished

Timothy Nathan
13-06-2012, 10:50 AM
With the right vinyl, you could join www.pink-car-rally.com

TopherGeorge
13-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Not a bloody chance!!!

jbanfie
13-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I liked the moonlight blue with the black styling pack, the styling pack made all the difference - check it out on the configurator

thehorse
13-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I liked the moonlight blue with the black styling pack, the styling pack made all the difference - check it out on the configurator

I'd quite like a blue A6, however I saw the moonlight blue in the dealer and it is very dark, looks like a black car at first glance.

TopherGeorge
13-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't like the fact you have to pay to have the chrome blacked out. This should be free

thehorse
13-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I don't like the fact you have to pay to have the chrome blacked out. This should be free

That's how they make their money I'm afraid, for instance I'd estimate the DAB decoder IC used to give you the DAB radio functionality costs less than a £1, however that doesn't stop them charging £315 for DAB. Most likely the DAB functionality is already built in and they just configure it to work at manufacture if you've handed over the cash.

thehorse
13-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I saw this in a dealers today - it looked really nice - it was listed as Dakota grey, however other pics of Dakota grey I have seen have looked totally different (sort of muddy brown)

Is this really Dakota or something else?

13-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I saw this in a dealers today - it looked really nice - it was listed as Dakota grey, however other pics of Dakota grey I have seen have looked totally different (sort of muddy brown)

Is this really Dakota or something else?

That looks more like oolong than dacota.

thehorse
13-06-2012, 07:11 PM
That looks more like oolong than dacota.

I did wonder if it was Oolong, although I thought Oolong was closer to black, this had a very nice deep blue/grey hue - maybe it was a custom colour?

thehorse
13-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Here is another pic of it on the used audi site - actually looked even nicer in the flesh

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used-car-locator/a6/2.0-tdi-177-ps-s-line/amersham/602533456-9467.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

aurora7
13-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I was going to suggest Aurora Blue, but that is a custom colour these days. Can look similar to Oolong but with a tinge of blue (but some people can't see this so think it is grey).

Presumably this is an ex-demo car as it's so new; do Audi put custom colours on their demonstrators?

Guest 2
13-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Go Audi exclusive and spec Night Blue?

I know if I ever ordered a brand new Audi it would be in that colour ;)

johnsimcox
15-06-2012, 01:33 PM
My new Ice Silver Avant. Just picked it up and loving it

TopherGeorge
15-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Have you put aside some time to give her a good run in? I picked mine up and I was straight on the Shuttle down to france!! :o

johnsimcox
15-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Have you put aside some time to give her a good run in? I picked mine up and I was straight on the Shuttle down to france!! :o

Nothing so grand I am afraid but will be using her as much as possible over the weekend

MFGF
15-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Very nice!!! Congrats and enjoy! :)

thehorse
16-06-2012, 08:50 AM

I have to say they do look great in silver, I think It will be a toss up between the Ibis white or the silver for me

thehorse
20-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Anyone go for glacier white??

I need to decide on this in the next few days and had been leaning towards Ibis White.

My only concern with the Ibis white is that it is a bit dazzling when sunny and I think a lot of the cars details get lost in bright glare. I saw a glacier white the other day and it looked really nice and was a bit more subdued than the Ibis white and the cars lines seemed a lot better defined.

Obviously the cars I've seen have been in dealers polished to within an inch of their life and as I'm not really a car cleaning fanatic whatever I get will have a layer of dust/dirt anyway, so was wondering if I could get away with a slightly dusty/dirty Ibis instead of shelling out for the glacier?

Timothy Nathan
20-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Glaciers are blue.

Just saying....

thehorse
20-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Glaciers are blue.

Just saying....

...and the glacier white does have a slightly blueish hue

20-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I've been mailed a sneak peak at my car in Oolong today. The brown tint shows up well under lights, liking it.

PhilR
21-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Here is another pic of it on the used audi site - actually looked even nicer in the flesh

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used-car-locator/a6/2.0-tdi-177-ps-s-line/amersham/602533456-9467.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

Dealer error....that's Daytona Grey. Dakota Grey is, er, brown!

PhilR
21-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I have to say they do look great in silver, I think It will be a toss up between the Ibis white or the silver for me

I got my A6 S Line Avant with privacy and 19" seven spoke alloys at the end of May....in Ibis White (attached). I was a bit unconvinced and really wanted Daytona, but it does look great. Having done 1100 miles in France, without cleaning it, it does hide the dirt very well. My last A5 S'back was Lava Grey - looked great, but got dirty quite quickly. Ibis is much better.

thehorse
21-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I got my A6 S Line Avant with privacy and 19" seven spoke alloys at the end of May....in Ibis White (attached). I was a bit unconvinced and really wanted Daytona, but it does look great. Having done 1100 miles in France, without cleaning it, it does hide the dirt very well. My last A5 S'back was Lava Grey - looked great, but got dirty quite quickly. Ibis is much better.

Yes, the Ice silver looks really nice polished up in the showroom, but the ones outside with a layer of dust look quite dull and drab. The Ibis doesn't seem to look any worse with a layer of dirt, in fact it probably tones it down a bit. Still changing my mind every 5 minutes - Silver is the boring, safe and inoffensive option and I'm sure I'd get on fine with it. I think the white does look great, very striking especially with the privacy glass and a real head turner - thing is are people turning their heads thinking that is a really nice car or turning their heads thinking look at that **** in his white Audi? I think I could end up really loving the white if I go for it... or really regretting it.

PhilR
21-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Yes, the Ice silver looks really nice polished up in the showroom, but the ones outside with a layer of dust look quite dull and drab. The Ibis doesn't seem to look any worse with a layer of dirt, in fact it probably tones it down a bit. Still changing my mind every 5 minutes - Silver is the boring, safe and inoffensive option and I'm sure I'd get on fine with it. I think the white does look great, very striking especially with the privacy glass and a real head turner - thing is are people turning their heads thinking that is a really nice car or turning their heads thinking look at that **** in his white Audi? I think I could end up really loving the white if I go for it... or really regretting it.

Mine was a stock car and I was unconvinced. I'd always wanted Daytona, but that wasn't availabale. The deal was ace for me and the spec was right, so I did a straw poll of people I trust who own similar cars. All of them said 'go for the white'...no regrets. It looks great.

You need privacy though to break up the white. Also, the black grill helps in that respect too. Bigger wheels finish it off...and I don't think I look like a pimp...althought the car has been likened to a stormtrooper!

Silver looks ok.....but a bit crap by comparison. The only other colour I'd have considered would be Daytona.

MFGF
21-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Silver looks ok.....but a bit crap by comparison. The only other colour I'd have considered would be Daytona.

Hee hee. It's lucky nobody on these forums has a silver C7 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Timothy Nathan
21-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I think you are all boring as hell, with your monochrome outlook. What's wrong with the blues and reds?

thehorse
22-06-2012, 12:01 AM
I think you are all boring as hell, with your monochrome outlook. What's wrong with the blues and reds?

Let's face it the A6 colours are rubbish! I'd quite like a red or blue to get away from the silver/white/grey/blacks most people go for, however Garnet red has a pinky/orange hue. Moonlight Blue is so dark you may as well get black and the aviator (sorry Timothy) has a grey lifeless slightly dirty look.

.... I've started so I'll finish....

Ice silver - unless highly polished looks drab and lifeless, the finish has that 15yrs old vectra faded and oxidised paint look

Ibis white - Looks a bit plasticy, exactly the same white as my bath tub and UPVC windows

Dakota - basically brown, can't imagine people are queuing to spec this one

Glacier white - surely developed by Audi to confuse poor buyers who were just going to plump for the Ibis - is it or isn't it worth the extra £655 to upgrade your bathtub white Ibis to a Armitage shanks urinal white?

Deep Green - I don't think so

Phantom black, brilliant black, oolong grey, Havanna - basically all black and a nightmare to keep clean

Quartz grey - Looks ok in some lights, looks rubbish and boring in others

Daytona - ok, this is one of the better ones, but still not great in my opinion

Well that is everyone offended, time to go to bed!

Guest 2
22-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Why not pick an Exclusive colour and you could have bright purple or orange if that's your thing? :D

Timothy Nathan
22-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Why not pick an Exclusive colour?
I never do or buy anything labelled "Exclusive". I always have too much sympathy for those who are excluded.

thehorse
22-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Why not pick an Exclusive colour and you could have bright purple or orange if that's your thing? :D

I don't really want a rare or outlandish colour, just want a decent choice, certainly wouldn't hand over £2500 for the privilege

johnsimcox
22-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't really want a rare or outlandish colour, just want a decent choice, certainly wouldn't hand over £2500 for the privilege

I agree. It would seem that Audi have decided that you can have any shade of grey from White to Black that you like (as long as you pay extra for metallic or pearl) and then offer Deep Green or Midnight Blue as variations on the black theme, so the only "colour" you can get is Garnet Red. I am sure that if asked Audi would say that they are only responding to customer demand which is a bit of virtual circle as customers don't ask for the other colours because they are not available so they don't offer them so customers don't ask for them etc. Looking at the A4 brochure (and are A6 buyers really so boring compared to an A4 driver?) we could have Brilliant Red, Volcano Red, Misano Red or Scuba Blue just for starters

BrianWM
22-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Totally agree about the limited colour choice. It's even worse in my case - I'm wanting an A6 Allroad so some of the normal A6 choices are absent (quartz & daytona grey, garnet red, aviator blue) and who knows what the new, Allroad exclusive Java Brown will look like ! I don't like black and I'm a bit stumped at the moment, it's a shame when buying a new car to have to take the lesser of several evils.

Timothy Nathan
22-06-2012, 04:58 PM
so the only "colour" you can get is Garnet Red
Aviator Blue is definitely blue, not grey.

skibuddy
22-06-2012, 06:42 PM
And red looks black in the dark anyway.

Timothy Nathan
22-06-2012, 10:59 PM
And red looks black in the dark anyway.
Hmmm....I guess if you are going to exclude all colours that look black in the dark.....

thehorse
23-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Mine was a stock car and I was unconvinced. I'd always wanted Daytona, but that wasn't availabale. The deal was ace for me and the spec was right, so I did a straw poll of people I trust who own similar cars. All of them said 'go for the white'...no regrets. It looks great.

Question for PhilR....

Out of interest, now you have lived with the white and got used to it, if someone offered to wave a magic wand and change the colour to the Daytona your originally wanted, would you go for it or stick with the white?

krupatel
23-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Pearlescent Phantom Black seen after detailing by Rob @ GleamMachine (thnx again Rob)

Sheroo
23-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Anyone go for glacier white??

I need to decide on this in the next few days and had been leaning towards Ibis White.

My only concern with the Ibis white is that it is a bit dazzling when sunny and I think a lot of the cars details get lost in bright glare. I saw a glacier white the other day and it looked really nice and was a bit more subdued than the Ibis white and the cars lines seemed a lot better defined.

Obviously the cars I've seen have been in dealers polished to within an inch of their life and as I'm not really a car cleaning fanatic whatever I get will have a layer of dust/dirt anyway, so was wondering if I could get away with a slightly dusty/dirty Ibis instead of shelling out for the glacier?

I've gone with Glacier White, Build Week 35 so need to wait patiently ...

neilos100
23-06-2012, 07:55 PM
For me at least they look best either in black or white....I have a Phantom Black A6 C6 Avant and yes, its a right royal pain in the plums to clean and keep clean, but when it is clean it just looks amazing! :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

PhilR
25-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Question for PhilR....

Out of interest, now you have lived with the white and got used to it, if someone offered to wave a magic wand and change the colour to the Daytona your originally wanted, would you go for it or stick with the white?

That's a very good question! Umm...I don't know to be honest, not really thought about it. If I'd have factory ordered I probably wouldn't have the 19" wheels or privacy, so the car would have looked more different than just the colour. I probably would have had Daytona had the car not had the bigger wheels and privacy, but white with the bigger wheels and privacy....splinters in my backside time!

I think the big bonus is that the white looks clean for a lot longer than I think the Daytona would, although I may be buying some mudflaps for the front as there were a few tar spots appearing (that may have been the French roads - 1100 of my 1500 miles have been in France). Will try the tar remover first though.

dgarside
28-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Daytona Gray on mine and do like it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/521b2348-cdc7-6cc0.jpg

dgarside
28-06-2012, 10:35 PM
BTW, I've found the Daytona stays clean really well, far better than my old dark blue Discovery.

Darren.

MFGF
28-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Daytona Gray on mine and do like it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/521b2348-cdc7-6cc0.jpg

Your car looks cracking!! I would be very tempted by that colour next time!

Guest 2
28-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Your car looks cracking!! I would be very tempted by that colour next time!

Keep with tradition Mark and get silver again! ;)

Hoping for a C7 courtesy car next week!

Your car looks awesome Darren!

dgarside
28-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Cheers guys appreciate that. Doesn't look as good as it did in the picture after the current floods and stuff, a few chips from the river bed/road coming home end of last week. Having a day off tomorrow to give it some TLC and see what I can do with it.

PhilR
29-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I must admit I do still really like Daytona, but am pleased with the Ibis White too. I don't tend to have the same colour straight after on the next car, so Daytona for me next time.

Brycie
29-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I mentioned this tonight elsewhere, but I always think when you see a white one (and to a certain extent, light silver) they stand out more & seem more imposing on the road. It's as though white cars seem bigger somehow.

gupsterg
29-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Do they seem imposing as your looking to see if its pc plod... ;)
I never really wanted a Silver car...
But now grown on me...

Brycie
30-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Quite right Gup, especially when it has a roofrack that can be mistaken for a row of blue lights from a distance.

Hawthorn37
14-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Last 3 cars all silver or silver- grey; this time it's an Ibis white Avant S-Line. Considered Ice, Daytona and Black, but visited Audi Leeds and saw EVERY model in white. Avant S-Line looks great in white, especially with the LED lights, and lighting pack fitted. My logic, silver now common, old hat; Daytona likewise; black hard to maintain ( had one) and also v common. White suits the car well.

15-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Last 3 cars all silver or silver- grey; this time it's an Ibis white Avant S-Line. Considered Ice, Daytona and Black, but visited Audi Leeds and saw EVERY model in white. Avant S-Line looks great in white, especially with the LED lights, and lighting pack fitted. My logic, silver now common, old hat; Daytona likewise; black hard to maintain ( had one) and also v common. White suits the car well.

I'd say that white is as common as silver now? 2-3 years ago it was fresh. Now it's a bit of cliche IMO. The A6 does wear it well though.

Hawthorn37
17-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd say that white is as common as silver now? 2-3 years ago it was fresh. Now it's a bit of cliche IMO. The A6 does wear it well though.
Guess you're right. After 12 years driving silver, the choice of white was going out on a limb!! Wonder what the next 'black' will be; maybe red again?

Brycie
17-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I'd also agree that there are a growing number of A6s on the road in white, but other marques are not seen as often in white, so on your general travels a white A6 C7 will still stand out in the crowd.

Goatistuta
18-07-2012, 01:53 AM

I assume you've never had a white car? I said 'never again' - although I also said the same about black, but my Havana Black S-line (also from Leeds Audi) seems much easier to keep respectable, but ask me again after the winter :Blush:

However I've started using a waterless wash product from Amazon All Shine 1 Ltr Premium Waterless Car Wash & Wax + TWO Free Microfibre Cloths: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026JDZ3C/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00) that, despite my initial scepticism performs really well. It doesn't leave scratches, even when the car is filthy and it the equivalent of washing, drying and polishing the entire car in around 10-15 mins. I have also used it on my Daughter's white A1 where it removes all dirt really easily, including tar stains. I must have done 10 washes with the bottle and there is still about 1/4 left.

18-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Guess you're right. After 12 years driving silver, the choice of white was going out on a limb!! Wonder what the next 'black' will be; maybe red again?

IMO, Red is coming back, and Brown is also back "in". I've been looking at a red S3 sportback ;)

White was fresh 5 years ago...

skibuddy
18-07-2012, 08:01 PM
True or False, the colour of your car effects the cost of your car insurance, and white car colour Audi drivers are being hit the hardest? If true, it must be based on the claims record of the types of driver that are being attracted to white.

Hawthorn37
18-07-2012, 08:13 PM
True or False, the colour of your car effects the cost of your car insurance, and white car colour Audi drivers are being hit the hardest? If true, it must be based on the claims record of the types of driver that are being attracted to white.
It would be interesting to see some facts on this. Logic would say grey or black would be worse, although I did see research last winter to say red was worst colour to see in the dusk/ night, as street lighting doesn't have red in the spectrum, so it appears grey.
What I do know is my insurance reduced when I got the C7 (white) compared to the previous C6 (grey and less power)- although this has got to be more about cost to repair!

Hawthorn37
18-07-2012, 08:17 PM
IMO, Red is coming back, and Brown is also back "in". I've been looking at a red S3 sportback ;)

White was fresh 5 years ago...
I once bought a metallic dark brown Peugeot 607 in the 90's, loved the car, hated everyone else's reaction! Saw an A1 in met brown recently, brought back the memories! Can't see me going there again.

PhilR
18-07-2012, 09:14 PM

£300 fully comp, European cover, protected no claims, low excess, legal over, full no claims and age 41 - policy provider LV. Don't think I'm getting stung.

shabazmo
18-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I have a Dakota grey and have had lots of compliments about the colour. It is a brown colour, but suits the A7 really well and not too common. The photgraph does not do it justice, but will if anyone would like, take some more when the sun comes out.

Timothy Nathan
19-07-2012, 12:17 AM
when the sun comes out.
Nah, we'll all have moved on to the C8 by then.