PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Changing spark plugs

Spiderlounge
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Hello, I need a little help changing my spark plugs.

I have a 2007 Polo 1.2 12v, and the problem is that I don't know how to get access to them. Here's some photos of the engine bay, it's the bits on top of the spark plugs in the last picture that I can't figure out how to remove. I'm sure it's very simple, but I don't want to do any damage with a "how hard can it be" attitude...

witblitz
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Undo the clips that hold the wires in place on the black cover. Then the coil (the triangularpart) should pull straight out. You might need to use a screwdriver as a lever. Hope this helps.

Spiderlounge
12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm afraid there's more to it that that, the triangular things just won't budge - I threaded an old cable underneath and around the connector and pulled pretty hard but they're not going anywhere. I think the VW garages must have some bespoke tool to slot into the gaps either side of the triangular thing.

zollaf
12-06-2012, 05:28 PM
there are tools to lift them out, but they can still break , depends how long they have been on. try turning them first and then lever them off. if they break, they break and you will have to get new ones.

Spiderlounge
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm guessing that since it's barely done 30,000 miles these will have been in from new, i.e. 5 years or so.

Does it essentially boil down to pulling really hard until the sodding things come off?

zollaf
12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
yes, pull and twist.

witblitz
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
They can be quite tight. I don't know this motor but the coil looks the same as the 1.4 I found using a screw driver as a lever under the connecter worked on mine. I suggest easing out a little at a time.There is definitely a special tool but not sure where you could buy one.

-M-
12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
You normally need a puller for the coils as they can be damaged quite easily even with the tool - you can get a set of 3/4 from eurocarparts for about £30 which is a bit much - but considering the cost of ignition coils it is worth it.

You should be able to get 1x puller you need from a VW parts dept as the y have a part number that can be ordered.

Spiderlounge
13-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I found the right puller tool and I've ordered one. Thanks for all your help, will let you know how it goes when the tool arrives

Spiderlounge
12-10-2012, 12:35 AM
I got the tool and initially it seemed too big to fit into the gaps in the plastic, and being rather careful about things I asked a mechanic friend who had more confidence to apply the force required to get the tool in place. The coils still wouldn't budge but we did eventually get them out with a bit of controlled violence - they'd been in place since new (5 years) and the alloy had corroded slightly and bonded to the rubber seals. Once we got the coils off (undamaged, thankfully) the plugs were easy to replace and I put some grease round the coil seals when I put them back in so they'll come easier next time.

zollaf
12-10-2012, 09:15 AM
spot on :)

ashvetenry
24-10-2016, 02:25 PM
I know this is an old thread but very helpful thank you. The picture showing same engine as mine great. Got my coils off by threading a cable tie underneath each side to make two handles and pulled (hard). Will post a photo later