PDA

View Full Version : DAB radio - do you still get FM?

thehorse
11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi All,

I'm pretty close to the limit on my car allowance, but I might be able to squeeze in a few cheaper options.

Thinking.... DAB, Heated seats, Privacy and High Beam Assist

Any comments on the above greatly received - also thought about Colour DIS, but not really sure if it is worth it

Anyhow, can someone with the DAB radio tell me if you can still get FM? I like the idea of the extra channels with DAB but I think the sound quality on a good FM signal is better than DAB. (certainly is on my home hifi)

Thanks!

ninjabob
11-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes you do get FM

A4 Lad
11-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I personally think that heated seats are not worth the money. They make you feel like you have wet yourself and really dont EVER justify an extra cost

thehorse
11-06-2012, 11:01 PM
They make you feel like you have wet yourself

I quite like that feeling!

I've got them in my current car and I do use them a fair amount, however they came as standard and I'd probably lose them first if my budget doesn't quite stretch

shabazmo
11-06-2012, 11:55 PM
I use heated seats a lot and the heated steering wheel. i wish I had gone for High Beam assist. I am not sure privacy glass would look cool on an Audi A6

thehorse
12-06-2012, 12:10 AM
I am not sure privacy glass would look cool on an Audi A6

I'm going for the avant - I think the privacy glass works quite well on an estate + I've got two kids and it is easier than messing around with stick on sun blinds

Furion
12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Heated seats are great in the winter if you have leather seats, also if you have a back problem the heat is quite relaxing.

Privacy glass look good on an avant plus you have the addes security if ever decide to put a dvd in. I think you would still need the sun blinds thou as from inside you dont notice any darker shadeing

Multifunction steering wheek is another good one or electric seats with memory if more than one person drives the car

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Timothy Nathan
12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Not only does DAB do FM but (according to the manual, I have never seen it happen) it automatically finds the same station on FM if fades from DAB, so if you are listening to The Archers on DAB, and you lose signal, you will find yourself listening to them on FM.

I would hate not to have heated seats. The control in the C7 is much better than on the C6.

The one option I didn't get and wish I had is the more controllable cabin temperature (I can't remember the name). The knobs in the standard set up are dreadful. I wonder if it can be retro-fitted?

A4 Lad
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
What is hi beam assist ?

Guest 2
12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
The car puts the full beam on automatically

A4 Lad
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Ahhhhhh ok. And this costs ?

Guest 2
12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Probably a new mirror with the sensor and a load of wiring ;)

thehorse
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Ahhhhhh ok. And this costs ?

£140

MFGF
12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Not only does DAB do FM but (according to the manual, I have never seen it happen) it automatically finds the same station on FM if fades from DAB, so if you are listening to The Archers on DAB, and you lose signal, you will find yourself listening to them on FM.

Funnily enough, I happened to notice this when I was in Devon last week. In Ilfracombe the car got DAB reception, but a few miles down the road in Woolacombe I noticed the DIS listed the station with "(FM)" in brackets after the name (still with the DAB icon on the left). The changeover was seamless - I didn't notice it happen. Switching back from FM to DAB happened automatically on the way back too. It is a very clever feature!

I would hate not to have heated seats. The control in the C7 is much better than on the C6.

Agreed!! The seats seem to get a lot hotter in the C7 too!!

The one option I didn't get and wish I had is the more controllable cabin temperature (I can't remember the name). The knobs in the standard set up are dreadful. I wonder if it can be retro-fitted?

I have the 4-zone climate (I had to order it to be able to get heated rear seats) and it is really good!!

Cheers!

MF.

MFGF
12-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Anyhow, can someone with the DAB radio tell me if you can still get FM?

This pic shows what's available on a car fitted with DAB.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/MFGF1/A6%20C7/DSCN0996.jpg

Cheers!

MF.

robbyg
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
yes i have fm and dab. personally i would never be without heated seats. I havent wet myself since i was about 5 so cant remember that feeling, but i definitely like having a warm bot on a cold day. wife does also. money well spent.
DAB is in my opinion rubbish, but have got it just in case they turn the signal off soon.

Timothy Nathan
13-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I absolutely disagree that DAB is rubbish. It gives me access to BBC World Service and 4Extra, plus 100 other stations, in clear, uninterrupted reception. I'd hate to be without it.

ninjabob
13-06-2012, 12:02 PM
DAB is in my opinion rubbish, but have got it just in case they turn the signal off soon.

I completely disagree - DAB is fantastic with National Stations, Local Stations and seemless fallback (in the case of the AUDI MMI) to FM.

Have you actually used it?

13-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I absolutely disagree that DAB is rubbish. It gives me access to BBC World Service and 4Extra, plus 100 other stations, in clear, uninterrupted reception. I'd hate to be without it.

DAB with FM fill in as the C7 appears to get, sounds appealing. Personally though, I'm in the 'it's rubbish' camp. We live very rurally and don't get coverage for the signal. When ever we've had it on cars before it's never been used as I'd rather slightly lower quality over no signal at all.

robbyg
13-06-2012, 03:13 PM
sorry, had a few beers before typing last night, didn't make myself clear. I think the sound and signal quality is rubbish. Listen to analogue then switch to the same station in DAB and the voices sound distant and tinny. (admit i havent tried this yet in the audi) The variety of channels is great, i use bbc 7 alot, of 4extra as it is now called. Problem is i cant get all the stations everywhere.

Timothy Nathan
13-06-2012, 03:19 PM
The quality and reception are faultless in a polygon bounded by Dover, Salisbury, Birmingham, Peterborough and Cambridge.

I have used it extensively in remote places as well as populous ones. It is possible that it has fallen back to FM without my noticing, but then, if I didn't notice, I guess there's no problem.

MFGF
13-06-2012, 03:51 PM
In my car, DAB sound quality is at least as good as FM, and often better. No hint of tinny, distant voices, just crystal clear listening.

MF.

Furion
13-06-2012, 03:58 PM
The changeover was seamless
Cheers!

MF.

The Pure Highway DAB i had used to be out of sync by about 30 seconds, i cant remember which way.round it was ahead or lagging,

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Timothy Nathan
13-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Digital lags analogue, but only by about 2 seconds, and I think that they either are going to or haved fixed that.

I will check my radio controlled watch next time I hear the time signal.

shabazmo
13-06-2012, 11:05 PM
I have to say that DAB is great and I always listen to it. The lag is about 1 sec and I don't react that fast so I doubt it will affect me at all. I do come accross ocasions when the DAB signal gets lost but I get it back fairly quickly. Talkport and Worldservice are what I listen to.