PDA

View Full Version : ABS & ESP warning lights on. Mk5 Golf 1.6 fsi S 2004

sb.
11-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi all,

This is my first time on a forum so hope someone will be able to help me as i've read similar posts but not exactly the same problem.

I'm driving a Mk5 Golf, 2004 1.6 fsi S. When i get to approx 45 / 50 mph, both the ABS and ESP warning lights come on the dash. Whilst driving the ESP button doesn't work. If i park up and turn the ignition off then on again, the ESP light goes off and the button works again [being able to turn it off then on again] however the ABS warning light remains on. If i then drive off again, after a short distance, the ABS warning light goes off..................untill i get to about 45 / 50mph again!

I've read similar posts where people have suggested sensors on the wheels, or even whole ABS pump units which cost a fortune. I've not had it in the garage yet as i'm not free till the weekend however i was curious if this fault has occured with anyone else. I have both mechanics and auto electricians [seperate garages] local to me but don't know which one to take it to. Any suggestions?

I plan on changing the car for an Audi A3 within the next 2 months so don't really want to be spending a fortune on it however this will need sorting before i can sell it.

Crasher
12-06-2012, 12:07 AM
You need to start by getting the car fault code scanned to see what codes are stored in the engine and ABS ECU's.

sb.
12-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Thought so, thanks for confirming it, but don't want to go to an auto electrician for him then send me to a mechanic or vice versa.