PDA

View Full Version : What manual transmission oil ?

Gary03
10-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Ive done alot of reading here last couple of days and come to the conclusion that Redline MTL90 or MT90 75W 90 is a good choice for the manual gearbox.
However, it also states that this oil should not be used where a hypoid differential is present.
Does the gearbox in my B5.5 1.9 Passat share the same oil as the diff? Is the differential a Hypoid unit?
Im sure it does but thought I'd better make sure.
Information overload :aargh4:

Toonmania
11-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Best to check with Opie oils i'm pretty sure the gearbox and diff share oil, give the guys at Opie a ring and they should put you straight and you might get a discount for mentioning your a member here too :biglaugh:

scotty33
16-06-2012, 01:40 AM
VAG as far as I know do not provide the viscosity spec of their gearbox oil, our passats use G052 911. I believe Fuchs supply the factory lubricants, and their titan sintofluid 75w-80 meets the VAG oil spec. Reading between the lines, I think it's the same stuff?
I think if you use a 90 weight oil you may have poor shifting especially when cold. slightly worse mpg too!

Gary03
16-06-2012, 11:20 AM
VAG as far as I know do not provide the viscosity spec of their gearbox oil, our passats use G052 911. I believe Fuchs supply the factory lubricants, and their titan sintofluid 75w-80 meets the VAG oil spec. Reading between the lines, I think it's the same stuff?
I think if you use a 90 weight oil you may have poor shifting especially when cold. slightly worse mpg too!
Yeah, good point about using a 90 and referance it effecting MPG, thanks!
second gear is slightly notchy when its cold and obviously going upto a 90 will only make it worse since the baulkring will have a harder time shearing the heavier oil. Ive seen that Sintofluid by Fuchs, I reckon Il go with that now!
Thanks for the input both!!