PDA

View Full Version : stu - forum just died

Guest 2
10-06-2012, 06:21 PM
forum just died there Stuart - database errors then everything from the last half hour has been lost and it seems the forum announcement thread has been deleted!

got booted out too

Brycie
10-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Me too. Thought I'd imagined the whole thread for a minute there!!

Onto the previous question by Stu, is the following link an example of what you meant?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?133673-Addicted-Engine

Instead of having the whole www.vwa........, you'd just like the title of the thread displayed as the link?

stuart
10-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh crap... I have just hit the wrong button and deleted out thread.. :( What a ****!

I wanted to delete one post but god know's how I deleted it all.... good job I know what we were talking about......

So, for all issues as we discussed please post here....

The host are working on the server which has caused the errors, and made me make a mistake and delete the blood thread.... Sorry

I think part the problem is the hosts are working on the site, and it crashed just as I was deleting a post of mine....

Guest 2
10-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Hard to explain but incase you never seen in the last thread - say i pasted this link to ebay in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-S-Line-2007-B7-Black-Mirror-Covers-OEM-/160815994407?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2571615627

right - when the page is viewed its displayed as Audi A4 S Line 2007(B7) Black Mirror Covers OEM (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-S-Line-2007-B7-Black-Mirror-Covers-OEM-/160815994407?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2571615627) and display like that <--- with the url as normal

stuart
10-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Do you mean instead of the whole url, it just states a post title? If so I am not sure how that can be done.... will look into it though :)

Guest 2
10-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Had a quick google and you should be looking for something along the lines of "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" - although everyone seems to dislike it for some reason!

Guest 2
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Found something for you -

Download and import product-linktitles.xml via the Product Manager.
Enable the modification via AdminCP > vBulletin Options > External Link Titles Options (it is disabled by default)

stuart
10-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Were do I download it from :)

Guest 2
10-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Dear knows! Just forget it - theres no way I can get the page back I found it on!

Edit - Found it! http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=146679

stuart
10-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Will try it out on the test board ;)

stuart
10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Hard to explain but incase you never seen in the last thread - say i pasted this link to ebay in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-S-Line-2007-B7-Black-Mirror-Covers-OEM-/160815994407?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2571615627

right - when the page is viewed its displayed as Audi A4 S Line 2007(B7) Black Mirror Covers OEM (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-S-Line-2007-B7-Black-Mirror-Covers-OEM-/160815994407?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2571615627) and display like that <--- with the url as normal

It works..... I will add it to the main site :)

Guest 2
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Good job, no real purpose but tidies a post up if there are numerous links ;)

Brycie
10-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Guys, I don't know if again this is just me, but sometimes (not always) when I click the little drop-down tab to show thanks/likes etc, the screen just goes blank & I have to press the browser's 'Back' icon. As I say, could be just me & my machine, but thought I'd mention it in case it was related to the usage issues discussed earlier.

martin1810
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I just thought I should let you know that for me the page transitions hang for so long the forum is more or less unviewable. Hopefully I am the only one.

fat controller
11-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Guys, I don't know if again this is just me, but sometimes (not always) when I click the little drop-down tab to show thanks/likes etc, the screen just goes blank & I have to press the browser's 'Back' icon. As I say, could be just me & my machine, but thought I'd mention it in case it was related to the usage issues discussed earlier.

Not just you Brycie - mine is the same (Firefox, Win 7)

I've just found another (very minor) one - I've just cleaned my cache etc, and when I went to log back in, the text where you type your username at the top right was black on an almost black background. Autofill helped me out, but I could not see what was written in the box for love nor money.

fat controller
11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I just thought I should let you know that for me the page transitions hang for so long the forum is more or less unviewable. Hopefully I am the only one.

Has your broadband situation improved at all Martin, or are you still getting the performance you were a year or so ago?

Page load times are pretty fast for me, so I wonder if its your ISP slowing things down for you?

Guest 2
11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Not just you Brycie - mine is the same (Firefox, Win 7)

I've just found another (very minor) one - I've just cleaned my cache etc, and when I went to log back in, the text where you type your username at the top right was black on an almost black background. Autofill helped me out, but I could not see what was written in the box for love nor money.

Why is it only a small number having issues? From when Skimlinks updated their code mine has been running fine with no problems :confused:

Yep, I think that was changed in the new design, same for me.

stuart
11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
I am now on IE7 on a slow network, and yes it is slow, but as I say I am in a head office with loads using it, and it is always slow... but it seems normal speed to me for this connection, same as before...

The text, I noticed that as soon as I did the update, so I wiull look at changing that ;)

fat controller
11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Well bugger me - having just said that, I tried it again and the problem has gone! :confused:

Guest 2
11-06-2012, 04:16 PM

As FC has just mentioned - could it be your ISP slowing things down? Do you have a download limit which you have maybe reached and your ISP is cutting your speed? Or is it just VWAF?

martin1810
11-06-2012, 07:22 PM
It's only within threads on VWAF. I don't have any ISP speed problems an more.

As FC has just mentioned - could it be your ISP slowing things down? Do you have a download limit which you have maybe reached and your ISP is cutting your speed? Or is it just VWAF?

Brycie
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I did notice somebody else on the actvity stream saying they'd been having troubles last night, can't remember who though. They may be able to shed a little more light possibly?

I think I have unlimited broadband & never download movies or music, so unlikely to reach any 'fair usage limit' and yet am having same problems as Mertin. Fair question though.

martin1810
12-06-2012, 09:31 AM
If I refresh this page it take about 2 secs to give the little "done" message in the bootom bar but then I have to wait almost exactly 10 secs with the page frozen before I can do anything. This is better than yesterday. Yesterday it was hanging for minutes. It only occurs within threads so it's not an internet issure in general. I can move around the site with no problems. I assume some script or an image is loading slowly but I don't get any kind of error telling me what.

stuart
13-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Good job, no real purpose but tidies a post up if there are numerous links ;)

Now added :)

Guest 2
13-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Now added :)

Just tested it in another post ;)

Thanks ;)

JimC64
14-06-2012, 01:47 PM
+1 on the issues as reported here.

I have unlimited broadband and have no issues with any of my other sites at all.

I've noticed more and more recently ( probably since the upgrade was done I guess ) that the forum freezes. I them have to either try and recover the webpage or reload the whole site.

I suggest its becoming a real problem and definitely detracts from using the site.

MFGF
15-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Yep. Entering threads in IE8, something takes a whole heap of time to initialise. The thread appears in the browser, then freezes for ten or fifteen seconds. Mostly it recovers, but sometimes not, and I have to close the browser and start again. I have switched to Firefox for now (no issues there) but I think the IE issues need further investigation.

Regards,

MF.

a8 tech
15-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I use firefox no problems at all

martin1810
15-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I have sort of solved the IE8 issue for me. I've blocked all the background running crap like skimlinks, facebook etc etc. There's tons of it. With that stopped the site is running almost as before.
I understand that firefox includes this type of blocking in the browser so that's probably why FF users don't have an issue. It had reached the stage where my lap top locked and IE8 stopped responding everytime I came on the site. Hopefully I can now fix that. I haven't tried it yet.

Guest 2
15-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Get rid of IE altogether!

Although IE8 still working fine on my machine.

martin1810
15-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Get rid of IE altogether!

Although IE8 still working fine on my machine.

I would but this is the only site I browse that has problems so it seems daft to get rid of IE8 when it works fine every where else.

Brycie
15-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Seems like there's a few of us with this issue on IE8 though which isn't going to put me off. The concern for me though is that any new members joining vwaf who are using it, may be put off sticking around if this issue with the site affects them.

stuart
15-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I am working with vBulletin and the hosts to TRY, and I say TRY to find a solution.... problem is it seems to be 4 people that have issues :(

zollaf
15-06-2012, 09:22 PM
i have issues, but you don't want me to start talking about my personnal life. forum works fine for me on google chrome.

stuart
15-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Seems to be IE that is having issues... although IE9 works fine for me when I try...

Brycie
15-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Just found out who it was that mentioned the other night that they were also having problems with the site. It was Major Clanger and he posted on a thread called Parrot Pitfalls:

"All sorted thanks Royster and sorry I haven't replied before now but my pc was having issues with the site and continually freezing....." Not sure what browser he's using though.

So that's 5 of us and there could be more that have the issue but haven't reported it, like Major Clanger. Just thought It was important for you to know for your information, but we all know that you'll be doing what you can behind the scenes to resolve the issue Stu.

Cheers,
Paul.

stuart
16-06-2012, 07:45 AM
If it was easy for me to do I would roll back to the old version of vBulletin :) problem is the upgrade makes changes to the database, so it is not compatible with older versions... other option is to use a backup of the entire site, but this would be abou 3-4 weeks old.. I have 3 backups to choose, that day, that week, or that month... so as it has been 2 weeks since the update the only option is the month back up, we would loose too much...

I will keep trying to find a solution... problem I have is I am trying to fix an issue I can't replicate... :(

stuart
16-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I have enabled the default vBulletin colour scheme for you to try. This has no adverts attached, but may also be missing other things that have been added to the normal scheme. I have not added anything to the default vBulletin scheme.

I will leave this enabled for a day or so to see if Members that were having performance issues see any difference. If this has improved things please let me know, I will then add the adverts etc back one at a time to see if we then get the issue.

Please try this and let me know ;)

Stuart

MFGF
17-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi Stu,

Thanks for all your efforts with this. Sadly, the site is unusable for me in Internet Explorer at the moment. When I open any thread, the thread appears then the browser stops responding - I get the timer circle and it never comes back. The only way out is to close the browser, and windows reports "Internet Explorer is not responding". I can't update to IE9 as I am using a works laptop, and the Siebel application I use at work does not work in IE9.

I am running IE 8.0.7601.17514. The site is fine in Firefox, so for now I will have to switch to using FF.

Cheers!

Mark.

stuart
17-06-2012, 05:44 PM
As far as I an see it is just IE8 that is having issues.... :(

MFGF
17-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I can live with it - Firefox is fine. It might catch out a few new site members coming in for the first time using IE8, though.

Cheers!

stuart
17-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Here is an interesting issue Web reload problems - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355224##)

I have dealt with Mark in the past, so I have enquired if they have upgraded recently... strange coincidence ;) We both use vBulletin.... Both use Google ad's as well, so maybe the issue lies there.....

JimC64
17-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Hmm........ I'm using IE9 Stuart and still getting issues?

Don't know what version of Vbulletin you're using? I'm still using the older version 3.7.5. on my site and have no issues at all.
Anyhow, still a problem here as far as I'm aware.......

Thanks
Jim

Guest 2
17-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Have you tried the vbulletin default skin Jim?

Iirc as I can't see on tapatalk vwaf is running 4.2

Every browser is working 100% for me.

stuart
17-06-2012, 09:59 PM
IE9 works perfect for me..... as does Opera, Chrome, Firefox.....

stuart
17-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Have you tried the vbulletin default skin Jim?

Iirc as I can't see on tapatalk vwaf is running 4.2

We are running vB 4.2.0 ;)

JimC64
17-06-2012, 10:08 PM
IE9 works perfect for me..... as does Opera, Chrome, Firefox.....

Oh well, it is what it is I guess then. All my other sites and browsing is fine, its only VW forum and I tend to stick with IE9.......I've played around some with FF and Chrome but not for me generally

MFGF
17-06-2012, 10:18 PM
My issues are on IE8 running under Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I am using the 32 bit IE browser, but I have been using this setup for the past 18 months with no issues. I will try the site in the Windows XP virtual machine I have installed and report back what I find.

Cheers!

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brycie
17-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Mine is IE8 on Windows XP just to piggy-back that post with further info.

martin1810
18-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Stuart as you know I resolved this, I think by blocking all the ads. I have tried allowing just facebook as per your suggestion, it didn't get worse when I allowed facebook stuff to run.
I's very difficult to tell exactly what you are blocking with the IE8 filtering because the descriptions are very poor. I will try enabling bits and pieces and see if I can find an obvious culprit. Don't hold your breath I'm not that good with computers, but I'll try.

stuart
20-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Try that..... Having spoken to Mark on SeatCupra.net, he suggest it is because Google now have links to other "ad serving" companies... I have now disabled 599 pages of companies!

See if that cures it... ad's should now just come from Google... It may take a while for this to register...

Please let me know.

Stuart

martin1810
20-06-2012, 09:33 PM
As I said previously I don't have any problems while inprivate filtering is on, soon as I turn it off the page loading problems return. I tried just now and the site still won't load a page properly for me with filtering off. I can't work out what element is causing it. I don't think it's one, I think it is a combination and I doubt I can work out what combination is causing the problem.

stuart
20-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I think it may take a while before adverts stop getting served from Google's 3rd party providers. I don't think it is a instant fix:(

MFGF
20-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I tried Internet Explorer again this afternoon, but I still had it lock up on me completely when entering any thread. That was before you posted this, though. I will keep trying over the next few days and report back...

Thanks for your continuing efforts to resolve this!

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JimC64
21-06-2012, 08:54 AM
seems ok for me at present. I'll let you know if the problem returns, thanks.

MFGF
21-06-2012, 09:48 AM
I am using Internet Explorer again today - for the first time successfully since the site upgrade! :) Whatever you did, Stu, it worked!! Thanks!!! :)

Mark.

Brycie
21-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Brilliant! Working fine again for me too. Thanks for persevering Stu.

stuart
21-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Yippeeeeeeeee :)

Keep me informed ;) it seems that Google have changed the way adverts are served to the site. They now provide third party adverts as well as there own. In theory it seems a good idea as it provides better targeted adverts to you.

I think the problem was the advert locations had the choice of 599 pages of companies to choose from, which slowed everything down.

All I have done is disable these third party feeds ;)

I will not take all the credit, my thanks will go to Mark at Seat Cupra.net for his suggestion

Thanks for all your input with this, and for putting up with it;)

Stuart

Guest 2
21-06-2012, 12:31 PM
It would be interesting to know why the problem only existed for some users? :)

stuart
21-06-2012, 12:45 PM
That may take some getting to the bottom off lol

As it seemed to effect IE8 more than anything, all I can think of is it because it is an old browser....

The post on SeatCupra.net was all IE related, plus.......

A. Hap at work was on another site/forum at work this morning using IE8 andirons locked up solid... So we cannot be the only two forums having issues;)

Stu

martin1810
22-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I seem to be the only one still effected. If I turn inprivate filtering off, the site bogs down instantly and takes 10 seconds to load a thread or refresh the same thread. I'll leave the filtering on so it doesn't matter. One odd thing. The "thanks" system no longer works for me. I tried to thank someone last night and nothing happened which is odd. I wonder if the filtering interferes with that?

Brycie
22-06-2012, 11:25 AM
You're not alone Martin, the problem has returned for me too, though I don't think it's freezing for quite as long this time. I was going to mention it myself but I didn't have the heart to break the news to Stu :(

Sam
22-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Could those still having issues, provide the following info please;

Operating System:
Browser (inc version):
ISP:

I have access to various computers so I should, theoretically, be able to replicate most environments. The only thing I can't do is use a Fruit based computer, they give me a rash :)

MFGF
22-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Sam,

I see a delay of about two seconds when viewing a thread. The thread appears in the browser, then everything pauses for a beat. I managed to capture a couple of the messages being displayed at the bottom of the screen during this process.

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/MFGF1/General/Wait2.png

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/MFGF1/General/Wait1.png

It is only a couple of seconds, and much, much better than before, so I'm happy to live with it.

My environment is:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (running on a Lenovo W510 Core i7 with 16Gb memory and eSATA drives)
Browser: Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514
ISP: BT

Cheers!

MF.

Brycie
22-06-2012, 05:30 PM
+1 on the above, I wasn't actually going to say anything as it's much improved & I can live with it. The freeze is only seconds as per MF's comment, so I can't see it would put new users off either - where I believe it may well have previously.

The info requested though is:

Browser: IE8
ISP: Sky Broadband

stuart
22-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Anybody got a rope..... .:)

Brycie
22-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Anybody got a rope..... .:)

:biglaugh:. Funny as....

I don't have a rope, but I do have a thread. May take a while to get it though ;).

stuart
23-06-2012, 04:49 PM
As anyone tried the default vBulletin scheme? Is there any difference if so?

How have things been today?

Brycie
23-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Same as yesterday for me. No idea how to try the default vbulletin, but if you let me know, I'm happy to try & report back.

stuart
23-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Go to the bottom bar.. you should see a drop down that states VWAF-2011 just select the next option ;)

Brycie
23-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Tried that & it's just the same.

martin1810
24-06-2012, 10:36 AM
May be it's just me but I still can't use the thanks system. When I try to thank someone the button works but nothing happens so presumably they don't get thanked.

stuart
24-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Strange... I have just clicked "Thank for this post" and it works...

Anyone else having issues with this?

Guest 2
24-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Strange... I have just clicked "Thank for this post" and it works...

Anyone else having issues with this?

Still 100% fine here Stu :)

Brycie
24-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Works for me here, so the problem can't be related to the freezing issue. It doesn't show the thank instantly - I have to press thanks, leave the thread & go back in to see that the thanks has registered. I suppose I could just press refresh, which may work.

martin1810
24-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I've just thanked Brycie,A6_Chris and Stuart with no result and according to my thanks count on the right, no-one has thanked me. How weird is that. I'm doing this with the blocking system off, so its not my computer blocking things.
Windows XP sp3
IE 8
ISP. BT

Guest 2
24-06-2012, 12:29 PM
The Thanked 961 Times in 870 Posts is the old system.

If you press the arrow below your post count you will see the new system.

martin1810
24-06-2012, 12:33 PM
The Thanked 961 Times in 870 Posts is the old system.

If you press the arrow below your post count you will see the new system.

Sorry to be thick but does that mean the 961 will never go up. I will thany you for your post and see what happens. Cab you check your end to see if you get a thanks.
Hey! it just worked, how weird is that?
Now even stranger, the thanks drop down no-longer works for me.
Ok this is nuts. If I block the adds the drop down works, of I unblock them it doesn't. Chris just thanked me and the cout went up by one and yet three of you thanked me earlier and nothing happened to the count. aaagh!

Brycie
24-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I just thanked you Martin & refreshed the page. After the refresh, your thanks received did go up by one.

The weird thing for me is that my thanks have gone up by 2 since the upgrade. I mean the old thank system btw.

Guest 2
24-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Yep got the thanks my end

If I thank you on tapatalk the old system still works so now you have 962.

Tapatalk doesn't suppor the new system yet.

martin1810
24-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Yep got the thanks my end

If I thank you on tapatalk the old system still works so now you have 962.

Tapatalk doesn't suppor the new system yet.

Right, got it sussed. The thanks system doesn't work with inprivate filtering switched on. I have to switch it off, refresh the page and then press thanks, then it works. Now I know what to do, thanks guys.
Sorry I'm thick, I didn't realise we had two thanks systems running. I never pay much attention to it. I only noticed it was odd when I couldn't thank anyone. Out of interest site is still laggy for me as soon as I turn off the filtering/blocking. It's no big deal, just odd because this is the only site where it happens.
PS if anyone else uses inprivate filtering, the thanks drop down menu doesn't work with it on.

Guest 2
24-06-2012, 01:24 PM
There is only one browser based Thanks system but Tapatalk only supports the old one so this only displays on the app ;)

I'm still puzzled why its only affecting a small number of others! :confused:

I may get Stu that rope he wanted!

Your current stats:

New system
Post Thanks / Like

Thanks (Given)
Thanks (Received)
Likes (Given)
Likes (Received)
Dislikes (Given)
Dislikes (Received)

Old system
Thanks 97 (the number of times you pressed Thanks on the old system)

martin1810
24-06-2012, 01:30 PM
This gets more weird for me. Now I can access the thanks drop down menu even with inprivate filtering on.

Guest 2
24-06-2012, 01:41 PM
This gets more weird for me. Now I can access the thanks drop down menu even with inprivate filtering on.

I'm not sure what Inprivate is as I don't use IE but is there anyway you could re-install IE just to clear any bad coding?

stuart
24-06-2012, 01:41 PM
As Chris has said... for some reason Tapatalk will not work using the new system, so if you get "thanked" via Tapatalk the figure for the old system will increase... If you use the system via the website it uses the new system...

My intention was to import the stat's from the old system, then delete this so we just had one running, but as you have already observed the figures do not match, no idea why, I suppose that is to do with the importer used :( So I decided to leave the result of the old one so nobody lost anything... That is when we found the issue with Tapatalk :(

Brycie
24-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for clearing up that little mystery guys, I was wondering how/why my old system thanks were increasing. It was just mild curiousity about it, as long as the thanks we're giving are registering somehow, it doesn't matter to me which system they go on.