PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

n0v
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Just a heads up for people, Coatco are doing 4 Michelin 245 40 18 tyres for £215 each with 20% off the total amount, so under £700 for 4. I did ask and if you buy and take away when you need them fitting it will be free, just got to love Costco (does require a membership though).

May be of use to a few people. Is that a good price? I have not looked elsewhere as yet.

Cheers

n0v

SunnyBard
09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Just a heads up for people, Costco are doing 4 Michelin 245 40 18 tyres for £215 each with 20% off. Is that a good price?

To be honest it's not earth-shattering ... assuming they're PS3s then camskill have them for £163 each (plus delivery and fitting though).

I had my 4th puncture in 15 months last week (seems 245s act like road-sweepers :aargh4:) and this one, unlike the first 3, wasn't repairable. While searching for prices I found a part-worn Conti SportContact3 locally with 4-5mm on it which matches the wear on my Pirelli P7s pretty closely, so went with that for £50 fitted. Decision on what to fit when I need a full set averted for a while.

Is there any truth to what some folks say about mismatched new/old tyres being an issue with quattro? Or is it just the haldex cars, rather than the torsen ones?

John140
10-06-2012, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't be doing cartwheels over this price to be honest...

theskyfox
13-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Thats not too bad a price, but I'm pretty sure its nothing you can't price match. Kwik fit/Audi usually are pretty good at matching local tyre prices, even when on a special deal.

With regards to mixing tyres...if theyre all the same brand/tread pattern its not a problem. Problem comes when you mix brands across axles, you can only mix brands by axle pairs (e.g. Michelins at front, Pirellis at back).

Mixing brands across axles causes uneven acceleration/braking and puts strain on your centre diff and wheel bearing. I've actually been in Audi when someone has screwed their wheel bearing on an A3 in this way.
...and its cost them the price of a new bearing + new tyres + labour (over £500).

-Andrew