PDA

View Full Version : Question MFSW Airbag Query

kevin_hay
08-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I have had a look through a number of the forum postings, and due to the vast number of postings, this question may already have been answered, but I can't see the wood for the trees!

I have recently bought an A4 B7 '05 plate Avant 3.2 FSI Quattro S-Line, which has the 3 spoke sports steering wheel, but didn't have multifunction, DIS or Cruise, and I would love to fit this having driven a brand new Black Edition Avant from the dealer as a courtesy car.

Does the airbag from the 3 spoke wheel a direct replacement for the multifunction wheels, or will I have to replace the airbag too?

I have done retrofits before to a previous Audi A4 B5 that I have, so I am aware that some things are interchangeable and may need alternative wiring looms, but the VCDS system that I currently have is not capable of connecting to the CAN network in the car, so I can only see some of my controller codes, but enough to know that I will need to replace the steering control module, as I only have the S variant and not the Q.

If any of you knowledgable individuals out there know if I need to buy a new airbag, or just replace the loom for the airbag, it would be appreciated, as I haven't started to look at taking any of the parts off yet, so don't know what slip ring I have attached.

Also, will the slip ring details show up on VCDS, as I plan to order a proper connection from Ross Tech, to allow me to be able to code the upgrade once I have purchased the required parts, so if I was able to interrogate the system using the Control Module finder option, would I get a better understanding of the slip ring fitted, or will it still be a case of suck it and see when the airbag comes off?

Thanks in anticipation, especially as this is my first post, and apologies if my search terms have failed to pull up the answer which is already there.

ukdan
08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
If you stick with the same style steering wheel, the airbag will fit.

kevin_hay
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that.

I'm looking at a three spoke from an A5 on eBay, but it has the silver surround around the switches, rather than being identical to the style that I have, but hopefully that is just a cosmetic change, rather than also having some physical changes too.

royster
08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah its only cosmetic my mfsw has the chrome surrounds by the buttons. However wait for the wheel to arrive before ordering the wiring harness. Mine was slightly different for the button connecter and needed revision k of the loom. The parts people at Stafford audi are very clued up and worked it out. Loom was only 21 quid for a brand new one.

Sent from my HTC Desire S