PDA

View Full Version : s-tronic opinions

BrianWM
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm thinking about buying a new A6 Quattro; my preference would be for the 245hp engine which comes with the s-tronic gearbox. I have had a short test drive (am trying to arrange a longer one) where I was very pleasantly surprised by the general refinement except for a bit of tyre noise, which hopefully wouldn't be so noticeable on my car - I'm firmly with the standard, non s-line wheel size brigade here.

I'm concerned about switching from a conventional auto to s-tronic (I've had torque converter autos in various cars over the years - 1985:Audi 200T, then Merc,Merc, BMW,BMW,Merc,Merc) . I'd be grateful to folks here who now have A6s with s-tronic who have come from std. autos if they'd share some thoughts as to how they've found the s-tronic.

There was nothing on my short test drive to set me against s-tronic but I'm not that great at jumping to quick conclusions and it'd be typical of me to buy one and then discover a totally annoying characteristic; I'd prefer to avoid that if possible, even to the extent of considering the Bitdi just to get the 8 speed auto. Why have they used the 8 speed in the 245hp A7 but the s-tronic in the 245hp A6 anyway ?

mcwill
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Thats a very recent change, (within the last 2 months), previously the 245hp A7 was also supplied with an s-tronic box.

I don't recall reading of any problems with the s-tronic box, although the reason for the tiptronic box on the bitdi is that the s-tronic isn't rated for the torque produced by the bitdi engine.

a8toa6convert
08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I have tried the 8 speed auto in an A8 and a BMW 5 series, and I have a new S-tronic A6 3.0tdi quattro. The S-tronic box is very well behaved indeed, with perfectly judged change points, and I have no complaints about it. Much more civilised than the 6 speed DSG I used to have in a Mk6 Golf GTD. You can sometimes feel it testing out the correct amount of clutch bite when edging forwards at a junction, but it's never jerky enough or unpredictable enough to be annoying.

Guest 2
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
The S-Tronic is exactly the same as the DSG box ;)

Although a bigger engined car would use it better I would think.

a8toa6convert
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
The S-Tronic is exactly the same as the DSG box ;)

Although a bigger engined car would use it better I would think.

I know it's the same tech ("wet" dual automated clutch), but the 7 speeder in the A6 seems smoother and has better judged change points (and a less frantic sport mode). Wouldn't want the OP to be put off if he had tried a VAG car with the transverse 6 speed DSG and not liked it.

robbyg
10-06-2012, 08:39 PM
brian
i drove a few S tronics when test driving. Having driven various other autos in the past and being fussy about them (hated volvo geartronic, merc ok, bmw and VAG best IMHO) i thought the Stronic was fine. No major gremlins though abit jerky in 1st/2nd.

However, i can confirm the bitdi 8speed is tremendous. It has a much higher 8th gear - 1400rpm at 70mph, i think the Stronic is about 1600-1650?, and is smoother through first and second than the Stronic. It has a lovely fast change in dynamic mode, better than i expected. If you can afford the extra £4k (i think) you wont be disappointed in the bitdi upgrade. Effortless low down torque, pulls happily from 1100rpm.

BrianWM
11-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Robby, Interesting to hear your comments about previous autos although having gone for the bitdi you've leapfrogged the s-tronic, kind of ! It's reassuring that there aren't any negative gearbox comments associated with the s-tronic in A6 whereas there are plenty for older vag dsg, maybe they've got their software sorted now.

The "effortless low down torque" you describe for the bitdi is definitely up my street; I much prefer to go places without needing masses of revs to get there, at whatever pace.

The high gearing and the lack of a need to rev the engine makes me wonder about the dpf and how it's going to get purged. Does it say anything on this subject in the manual. (I hijacked my own thread a bit with this question, sorry).

robbyg
11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
The low down torque really is very good. in efficiency mode it changes up at about 1400rpm into next gear at 1100rpm even up hills. In comfort you never need to go above 2100rpm ish. Not sure about dpf, nothing specific for that engine in the manual, just the usual if the yellow light comes on go and drive about 2000rpm for 15mins or so. I am sure with plenty of motroway miles it shouldnt be a problem even cruising so low.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.