PDA

View Full Version : New Heater Motor, But Still Not Right

Coupe16v
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I changed the heater motor today and replaced it with a second-hand one. It works, but only on the fastest setting :-(

Does this mean the motor is on it's way out or something else?

You know, you can really go off cars sometimes!............:zx11:

Thanks in advance,

Col.

Col
05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the resistor pack is moofed.

Can't say exactly what it'll look like on your car but it'll be there..... somewhere.

What happens is the heater in its default state runs full pelt as yours is. The resistor pack imposes a resistance in the circuit and slows it down, one reistor set for each fan speed. These things get very hot and burn out which is what sounds what yours has done. Look for a big lumpy thing with a heatsink on it, bin and get a new one.

Coupe16v
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks Bigcol, will do, but do you know roughly where I should be looking? Would it be near the motor or near the controls?

Thanks,

Col.

Col
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Should be close to the motor and possibly mounted onto the heater housing.

Best bet is to trace the cables back from the motor.

Coupe16v
05-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Cheers :beerchug:

I'll locate a new resistor and hopefully find the old one to replace it :-)

lizard
09-08-2007, 02:17 PM
the resistors get hot as they dissipate power to slow the fan. they mount them on the fan ducting so the fan cools them as it goes. simple! i had exactly the same problem, open and pull down the glovebox door until it hangs vertically down (might need to bend the catches at the sides) and look up undre the dash. look for a bit of plastic which unclips from the duct. this will have a plug on it and be sealed in with goo to stop it leaking and whistling when the fan is on. they are about a fiver on ebay.

Coupe16v
09-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks Lizard, have already ordered one off Ebay which arrived today, so I might have a go at putting it in later. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for the replys people :beerchug:

Col.