PDA

View Full Version : Solar Battery Charger ( any worries ??)

johnvw
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Dear Forum Members,
One for the the auto electricians.
My LOVELY 2010 A4B8 spends a lot of time under the carport. I plan to connect a solar battery trickle charge (1.5Amp 12v ), wired through the boot, up to the back shelf.
IS there any DANGER if I forget to break the connection when I go out for a drive. (ie engine charging battery PLUS solar charging battery).

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
John

neilos100
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
No idea about any danger I'm afraid....but do you really need the battery charged continually? How long do you leave the car between drives?
I've left my 2009 A6 for three weeks and she started first time....:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

martin1810
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Dear Forum Members,
One for the the auto electricians.
My LOVELY 2010 A4B8 spends a lot of time under the carport. I plan to connect a solar battery trickle charge (1.5Amp 12v ), wired through the boot, up to the back shelf.
IS there any DANGER if I forget to break the connection when I go out for a drive. (ie engine charging battery PLUS solar charging battery).

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
John

1.5 Amp will have virtually no effect on the battery. You need about 3 amp to actually charge it. 1.5 amp will just about stop it discharging if you're are lucky. You can't over charge a lead acid battery with one of these solar chargers so you can't do any harm.

legendamongus
07-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Have you considered something like a trickle charger instead? I used to use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ctek-CTE-XS3600-Battery-Charger-Functional/dp/B000RHWCNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339063882&sr=8-1 which I found was quite good. Monitors and charges the battery when required, and is plugged into the wall socket so you can't forget to disconnect it!

Eshrules
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Might just be me, but if the car's under a carport, where's the solar panel going to get it's decent light source from?

Zenerdiode
07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
No danger. However, make sure it is not wired directly to the battery terminals. Remember the car has a Battery Charge Monitor (BCM) and it needs to know how much charge has flown in versus out to have a good idea of charge level. (for recuperation blah etc)

To safely achieve this, connect to the designated points under the bonnet; and fuse in the positive leg as close to that connection as possible.

theskyfox
13-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Seems a bit of a wasted effort from what I can see? Battery shouldn't die after a few weeks..and will soon get back up to charge once you are driving around. When you said Solar charger..I thought you had some electric-hybrid!

On the plus side...you may be ready before the rest of us when electric cars become more mainstream!

-Andrew