PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Beetle stereo wiring.

paulm270582
05-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi

My girlfriend has brought a 1967 beetle, i have fitted a lot of stereos but only in modern cars, where as her car does not have a stereo. I just need somebody to tell me if what i plan to do is correct. I want to run a power cable from the ignition to the fuse box, create a new fuse, then a cable to the power on the stereo from there. Then just run a ground from the stereo to any earthing point. Then just leave the rest of the power cables & ilumination cables etc and wire the speakers up as normal. Please if anybody knows if this is wrong or not can they let me know. It would be so appretiated. Thanks alot folks.:beerchug:

Sam
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I did the exact same thing with my '72 Beetle except I ran the power lead direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

There's also a host of wiring under the rear seat which makes things a little easier.

paulm270582
06-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi thamks for your reply, i was worried if i did it straight to the battery it would not turn off when the ignition is turned off, but i presume you dont have problems with this?

Sam
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
This was many years ago before I was confident enough to tap factory wiring so I had to make sure I turned it off ;)

I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times I had a flat battery.

Loved that car though.

Go with your method - it's the most logical.

bora(ing) nick
06-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi

My girlfriend has brought a 1967 beetle, i have fitted a lot of stereos but only in modern cars, where as her car does not have a stereo. I just need somebody to tell me if what i plan to do is correct. I want to run a power cable from the ignition to the fuse box, create a new fuse, then a cable to the power on the stereo from there. Then just run a ground from the stereo to any earthing point. Then just leave the rest of the power cables & ilumination cables etc and wire the speakers up as normal. Please if anybody knows if this is wrong or not can they let me know. It would be so appretiated. Thanks alot folks.:beerchug:
Hya, just to add... on some stereo's the illumination cable is required to be hooked up to power the display, and is not just "night lights".

The way you suggest to wire it up sounds fine to me... you may not even need the earth connected.... sometimes the aerial is the eatrh.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Nick