PDA

View Full Version : transmission noise??

robbyg
05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Loving my new car, (500miles now) except there's some transmission noise which i cant place. Want to know if anyone else experiences similar before i go to the dealer. I have been in 4 wheel drive cars before and noticed they had more running noise than 2wds, eg the jag x type 4wd was quite noisy. Wondering does the quattro system usually have a slight whine noise? The car is so quiet otherwise, its easy to notice.
It sounds like a wheel bearing or rotating shaft noise (like a big machine noise). It has a metallic vibrating hint to it, like a wheel bearing when it first starts to fail after 100k miles or something off balance...
Its definitely not tyre roar.
Its definitely not AC related.
Doesn't sound like wind noise.
Coming front the front i think.
Its independent of engine speed or gear selection.
It becomes noticeable around 45mph. Still there at 90, havent been any faster yet.
Its loudest around 65-75mph.
It seems louder when you back off and are coasting/decelerating.
You cant hear it with the radio on (thats not the solution...)

Worried it could be a wheel bearing, or miss-aligned drive shaft somewhere. Could take hours for mechanics to sort out. Any common issues or thoughts?

a8toa6convert
05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Robby

Doesn't sound normal to me. The whole drivetrain on my s-tronic quattro is virtually silent, if we exclude tyre roar. You have the ZF 8 speed conventional auto, of course, but that box has also been pretty much silent in other cars I've tried (A8, 5 series).