PDA

View Full Version : Power steering failure

alang498
04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi, I have just limped home having lost the power steering on my 1998 VW Passat TDI.
I started to notice strange noises on Saturday which have deteriorated into grinding, shreeching, and whirring - worse when turning - to the extent that people have looked at the car. Whilst out on a errand this morning, I have lost all power steering, the power steering fluid has leaked out from under the car, and it has sprayed under the bonnet from the filler cap of the power steering reservoir. There also appears to be a small amount of metal shavings laying in the cover that protects the underside of the engine. The performance of the engine has not been affected. I will limp to my garage on Wednesday morning, but would be grateful if anyone could suggest what has happened.

Crasher
04-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Sounds like your alternator one way clutch failed which destroyed the tensioner so the belt flew off, you must fit a new pulley with a new tensioner or the tensioner will fail again and the supplier will refuse warranty. The fluid can spray out when operating the steering with no pump.

alang498
04-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Sounds like your alternator one way clutch failed which destroyed the tensioner so the belt flew off, you must fit a new pulley with a new tensioner or the tensioner will fail again and the supplier will refuse warranty. The fluid can spray out when operating the steering with no pump.

Thank you Crasher - roll on Wednesday.