PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of geting A6 Avant - 18" S-line vs. 20" S-line

thehorse
04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm choosing my next company car and thinking about getting a 3.0 multitronic avant.

The dealer only had a S-Line with 20" alloys to test out and I was pleasantly surprised the road noise wasn't a great deal different to my current E-class with 16" wheels. It did however crash quite badly over road bumps and was pretty firm.

If I went for the S-line I'd stick with the standard 18" wheels - anyone compared the 18 to 20" back to back, is it going to be a lot better?

Thanks!

Guest 2
04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
This debate has been covered before on here - have a skim through the C7 section as I think it wasn't that long ago ;)

nesret
04-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm choosing my next company car and thinking about getting a 3.0 multitronic avant.

The dealer only had a S-Line with 20" alloys to test out and I was pleasantly surprised the road noise wasn't a great deal different to my current E-class with 16" wheels. It did however crash quite badly over road bumps and was pretty firm.

If I went for the S-line I'd stick with the standard 18" wheels - anyone compared the 18 to 20" back to back, is it going to be a lot better?

Thanks!

I've just delivery of an SLine 2.0 TDi Avant on 18's having also from an E estate on 16s. The Audi is quieter and rides better. I was surpised at the poor ride and refinement of the Merc given their reputation for "cosseting" the driver

thehorse
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I've just delivery of an SLine 2.0 TDi Avant on 18's having also from an E estate on 16s. The Audi is quieter and rides better. I was surpised at the poor ride and refinement of the Merc given their reputation for "cosseting" the driver

Thanks, that's good to hear, sounds like the S-Line with 18" wheels might be fine.

My only other concern is the S-Line is only available with the black interior and with the black headlining I thought it seemed a bit dark inside, was thinking about the SE instead, then spec in the sports seats which you can get in the grey alcantara. Alternatively I could stick with the S-Line and go with the panoramic sunroof to brighten things up a bit.

Timothy Nathan
04-06-2012, 11:00 PM
If you want to see/play with an SE with light interior colours and 17" wheels, and are ever in this area, you are welcome.

thehorse
05-06-2012, 11:46 AM
If you want to see/play with an SE with light interior colours and 17" wheels, and are ever in this area, you are welcome.

Thanks Timothy - I may well take you up on that if I can't find an in the local Audi garages nearby.

MFGF
05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Per the 18 vs 20 inch wheels, I couldn't detect any perceptible difference in ride hardness or road noise on S line models. The big difference is the SE vs S line suspension setup - soft or firm, and it all boils down to personal preference.

MF.

Snet form my fumblefingers
iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

Blackmore Spur
05-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Test drove 18 and 20 wheels, couldn't really tell the difference in terms of comfort and ride or look....ended up with 20 wheels as was in stock