PDA

View Full Version : a3 dsg

gibbi
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi im going to look at an a3 tommorow which is dsg , is dsg semi automatic or fully as in can i change it manually aswell? And also is there anything i should be looking out for when viewing.

http://www.superiorcarsalesnorthampton.co.uk/used-cars/audi-a3-2-0-tdi-s-line-3dr-dsg-st-petersway-201218468178043

NHN
04-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Check for any delays in gear changes & pulling away, make sure its not to clonky, check for dsg oil & filter change aswell as cambelt, no smoke on startup & usage, check full lock side to side.

Ideally you should scan the car with vcds for any logs.

Yes its auto, but you can use the up/down part of the gear stick on the left to change gears, also if its got paddles can use these.

redsearich
06-06-2012, 10:17 PM
The DSG gearbox oil should be changed about every 40k so check this has been done as it can be pricey.

rosso rocket
07-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Yep, cost me around £60 for DSG oil change....but defo worth doing......I paid and had it done as the car has 44K on the clock but no notes to say it had been....so better safe than sorry!

What model A3 are you looking at gibbi, you didn't say???

gibbi
08-06-2012, 02:51 AM
its a 2.0tdi sline 05 plate put deposit down today :D i cant wait to drive it , in the auto can you notice alot of difference from having it in D to having it in Sport? Thanks for your replys :)

rosso rocket
08-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Well done Gibbi....welcome to the S-Line owners' list! Its a fab car...you'll love owning it! (Like I do mine!)

With regard to your question, the difference between Sport and Drive is that when in Sport mode, the DSG holds the car in gear for a higher rev limit, therefore allowing you maximum power availibility before it selects the next gear (although in a DSG g/b, this is already done and waiting!). Drive is therefore more economical and used for everyday driving. When you want some fun, move it into S and floor it!
What are you going for 140 or 170bhp version???

gibbi
08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Mines the 140 but im looking at having it remmaped , i have had a quote of £200 to get it to around 180 which i would be happy with , are the steering paddles very good i didnt use them on my test drive?

rosso rocket
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi gibbi, where you getting it remapped for £200???

Don't forget you will need to advise your insurers otherwise you will invalidate your cover!

My last three VAG cars I have had remapped - Golf 4 1.8T, A4 2.0Tdi 170 and Golf 5 2.0 TFSI units - all through Jabbasport - cracking job too on all of them too...they really know what they are doing. 1st time I had my Golk Mk4 remapped, went for a cheap option with a local garage and they mapped it so badly, the car was on the verge of blowing the turbo - they just c&*CkeD it all up and the car was virtually undrivable....so go somewhere thats known and has a record of remaps! I wish someone would have advised me! Ended up having Jabbasport sort it all out.

My advice, go with someone recommended, to save yourself hassle and money in the long run!

Paddles? Great for impressing your mates and occassionally when driving....same for using g/box in + or - mode - ....other than that, D or S for me to maintain good economy....regaularly getting 48 - 52 Mpg out of mine on long runs....pretty damn good I think! Also useful when driing down hills to pop the car into a lower gear to control engine speed....the auto can build up speed so this is useful to keep it in check!

gibbi
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
ye the place i was having remmaped was a mate of mine who has done it for a long time and well recommened from other people, i know this might sound silly but on the gear box its self i can see a '+' and a '-' what can they do ?

rosso rocket
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
OK - so apart from selecting D or S to allow the gearbox to automatically select its own gear or the best gear for the road conditions based on inputs from all the various sensors and your driving style, you also have manaul control of the gears through two methods - the + and - paddles behind the steering wheel, or slide the actual gear lever to the left into the +/- section.
As you have already discovered, the + paddle goes up through the gears, the - paddle down through the gears.

Its the same for the gearstcik lever in that position too.

When its over to the left, by gentky touching the gear lever forward to the + position, the gearbox will go up to the next gear. Pulling it back gently will drop it a gear - in other words, semi-automatic operation, just like the paddles!

Its certainly enough top keep you entertained until the novelty wears off....then you'll just use D or S!!! Ha Ha

Its pretty amazing how this DSG/Tiptronic gearbox has been designed and works....very clever and a way advanced over the old auto gearbox design!....Wonder what design the Germans have planned next????

gibbi
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok well thanks for your help its helped alot, i dont get the car till thursday though :( but when ive been in it a bit more ill let you know how i get on . On the test drive you could hardly feel the gear change such a nice box. Cheers again :D

rosso rocket
10-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Post some pics when you get it.....its always nice to have a fellow Audi enthusiast with us all!:cool:

gibbi
10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Yep as soon as i have it ill get some pics and post them up :D

gibbi
14-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Got my a3 today and love it to bits :D will get some pics up soon, have u got any suggestions for a good alarm i want to go and gt one fitted?

cheers

rosso rocket
14-06-2012, 01:59 PM
No alarm fitted??? I thought it was standard on the A3?

gibbi
14-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I think theres one as standard but i want to put a different on so i can have a few more settings avalible