PDA

View Full Version : Lights Query

tanto65
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi folks,
can anyone tell me what purpose the clear lenses/lights on the bootlid of my wifes 2.0l Passat SE Estate serve? I originaly thought they were reversing lights but they are situated in the rear quarter panels. The lense on the offside appears to have a socket or sensor behind the plastic, but not on the nearside. Haven't tried looking behind the access panel on the inside of the bootlid yet, thought I would ask here first.
Many thanks,
Dave.

Guest 2
03-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Could you post a pic?

tanto65
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Could you post a pic?
Hi Chris,
Will try to get a pic tomorrow, wife away out with the car.

Dave.

Guest 2
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
No problemo - I just can't visualise your description :)

tanto65
03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Think I may have the answer. The models for the American market appear to have the reverse lights in the bootlids and the lights in the rear quarters double as tail and indicators. Will try to get a pic of ours and also look at the inside of the bootlid.
So it might be that the lights are simply set up differently for different markets.

tanto65
04-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Hopefully there are 3 pics here of the taillights . The outer clear lenses house the reverse light. The clear lense above the badge is home to the very bright foglight. The foglight bulb can be seen in the close-up pic. When it is on, the foglight is very small but highly visible. Never seen a foglight so small before. The rest of the clear lense (and the one on the nearside) is not used. Pity VW didnt see fit to have 2 foglights.
Dont think I saw any mention of the foglight in the owners manual, but will have to have another look at it.

Dave.

SBJ
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
The fog light is an LED which is why its so small. My previous Audi A5 had 2x fog lights and prefer a matching pair. I suspect its VW v's Audi marketing from VAG headquarters wanting to differentiate the marks, so dropping things like door lights for reflectors, and only having one fog light, are all part of the plan.

Its the yellow DRLs that most annoy me!

Simon

tanto65
04-06-2012, 09:43 PM
The fog light is an LED which is why its so small. My previous Audi A5 had 2x fog lights and prefer a matching pair. I suspect its VW v's Audi marketing from VAG headquarters wanting to differentiate the marks, so dropping things like door lights for reflectors, and only having one fog light, are all part of the plan.

Its the yellow DRLs that most annoy me!

Simon

Cheers Simon,
Not a fan of the yellow DRL's either. They make the car look cheap and IMHO spoil the look of the car. Might try changing the bulbs to halogens or LED in the near future.

Dave.

bertj
05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Cheers Simon,
Not a fan of the yellow DRL's either. They make the car look cheap and IMHO spoil the look of the car. Might try changing the bulbs to halogens or LED in the near future.

Dave.

I tried LED's in the DRL's on my saloon but the light has a very blue cast, completely different to factory fits in Audi's etc. I removed them because I think they could attract the attention of the police. AFAIK there are no halogen bulbs that will fit the DRL's.

tanto65
05-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks bertj,
will have to do a bit of detective work on bulbs it seams.Think I will try the LED's and see what happens.

bertj
06-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks bertj,
will have to do a bit of detective work on bulbs it seams.Think I will try the LED's and see what happens.

OK, let me know how you get on - I agree with you about the cheap looking DRL's
regards, Bert

tanto65
06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
If I remember correctly the bulbs in the DRL's are normal 2 pin bulbs. Can they be replaced with those in the Audi's etc or are the Audi ones a completely different fitting. Would a lower voltage LED bulb be less 'blue'? or are there tungsten bulbs available that give a whiter light?

bertj
06-06-2012, 08:11 PM
If I remember correctly the bulbs in the DRL's are normal 2 pin bulbs. Can they be replaced with those in the Audi's etc or are the Audi ones a completely different fitting. Would a lower voltage LED bulb be less 'blue'? or are there tungsten bulbs available that give a whiter light?

Yes, the bulbs are normal 2 pin and are <removed> to fit. I don't think lower wattage LED bulbs will be any 'whiter' as I've seen them fitted to parking lights that were quite blue. I think the units fitted to Audi's etc. are completely different to normal bulbs. Perhaps there's someone on this forum who can provide more details. BTW if you fit LED bulbs they must be suitable Canbus replacements otherwise the bulb failure warning will be triggered.

tanto65
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Yes, the bulbs are normal 2 pin and are <removed> to fit. I don't think lower wattage LED bulbs will be any 'whiter' as I've seen them fitted to parking lights that were quite blue. I think the units fitted to Audi's etc. are completely different to normal bulbs. Perhaps there's someone on this forum who can provide more details. BTW if you fit LED bulbs they must be suitable Canbus replacements otherwise the bulb failure warning will be triggered.

Might talk to one of the tech guys at the dealers and see if any of them has done a bulb swap. Cars are just getting far to technical and complicated these days. Wasn't that many years ago that I was swapping the stock 55/60watt bulb in my motorbike headlight for a 90/130watt bulb with no hassles at all. What a difference it made on the dark country roads where I live. Cars got the same treatment. Oh those were the days.