PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Wrap or respray?

Waddellg
03-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi
I've inherited a 1999 VW Caddy 1.9D from my father in law who passsed away. He also left us some properties which both need building work repairs carried out so I'm thinking I'll keep the van for carrying cement tools etc while we fix them up.

Trouble is the van has had a few knocks body work is sound but paint is scrapped and scrached in several places and there are a few signs of rust appearing. I want to fix them but I'm worried it will end up looking like a patch work quilt if I try spray cans although black is black so I maybe ok.

I know it is not worth the expense of a total respray but I've seen vinyl wrap kits and I don't know if it is a midlife crisis or what but I'm wondering if I should wrap it. I was thinking mat black with carbon fibre look grill wing mirrors etc. Is it any cheaper than a respray?

Other Fixes / Upgrades I've done are:

The fuel flap had been broken off at some point and the cap wasn't locking so I've replaced the cap with a locking one (no free diesel to anyone with a hose now) can't find a replacement flap - would a Polo one fit?
Door locks both not working drivers side been attacked with something down barrel. Put passengers side in drivers side and repaired lock paddle. Bought a second hand Polo rear door handle (no lock) and fitted passenger side.
Fitted armour door lock plates to prevent a repeat.
Bought a remote central locking kit off of ebay which I'll fit
Rear door didn't shut on top catch properly - adjusted with the use of a hammer.
Rear door does not lock - probably another theft attempt - I'll see if I can connect to central locking kit.

neilos100
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
13 year old van being used for carrying building material?....and you want to respray or wrap? Are you nuts? :p No point doing anything to it.....

Sent from my HTC One X using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

chody
03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
what he said