PDA

View Full Version : ecu reset

accy
29-05-2012, 09:06 PM
does anyone know how to reset the ECU using vcds?
thanks

bearthebruce
30-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Exactly what do you mean by "reset the ECU"?

accy
30-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I thought when you change the egr,maf,map or the n75 valve the ecu needed to be reset to find it self again. In the good old days i was told to leave the negative of the battery for 1hr ........

bearthebruce
30-05-2012, 05:12 PM
With VCDS, you clear fault codes and many learned values will be reset such as fuel trims. For some parameters, you may be required to perform basic settings and adaptations. You really should refer to a repair manual where the procedures will be described. VCDS can perform the same functions as dealer tool.

Leaving the negative off the battery should drain any power stored by the capacitors in the modules and make sure that the modules are fully discharged. Doing this may not clear codes. In fact, it may set codes. So, you would need a diagnostic tool to clear the codes if you tried this.

These days, the recommended procedures have you use the diagnostic tool to get things ready to run....

accy
31-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info.....much appreciated

gupsterg
21-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi,

I was thinking of doing a reset on my module 01 (engine) by saving channel 00 to 00...

Why I'm thinking of doing this is to clear learned values for stuff...

I'm having issues which I'd rather not go into...

So will component protection be activated? will immobiliser info be cleared?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 4F0 910 402 L HW: 4F0 907 401 A
Component: 3.0L V6TDI G000AG 0020
Revision: --H01--- Serial number:
Coding: 0011372
Shop #: WSC 00408 210 87187
VCID: 2649DD7391F0C7287B0

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
G

gupsterg
27-02-2013, 01:56 PM
It seems to me the other stumbling block I will face is the 7 digit SKC Pin ...

From my own digging around dealer may not be able to provide as VAS machine will not show it unless the operator uses a certain procedure of interrogation (info only from my own research)...

I don't think my local dealer would be too please to listen to me on how to get me pin...

Another method I've come across to gain pin maybe using other software/cable to dump info from ECU/Ins.cluster to get pin...

Maybe a remapper be able to help me out, investing in any hardware/software for a one off for me there really is no point... will update if I get any further with this...

Anyone any info/experience share please :Blush2: ...

bearthebruce
27-02-2013, 02:10 PM
7 digit SKC cannot be retrieved by the dealer tool such that the tech can give it to you. You may want to read our Immobilizer page in the Ross-Tech Wiki: Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer)

A legit full VAG Tacho (http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/) may help you with this. Ross-Tech does not endorse VAG Tacho but we recognize what their tool can do.

gupsterg
27-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi,

Seen the Ross tech pages and the great videos you guys have on youtube :) ... seen a lot threads, all have a little tid bit of info on pins ;) but nothing conclusive...

The info I found I have purposefully not on mentioned re software,etc as this is not the place for them and my query is mainly to do with using my VCDS to do reset...

When I changed my injectors and adapted them ecu required no SKC pin... so I'm assuming certain situations they have left open for editing/use...

Will doing reset require SKC pin?

Will immobiliser go nuts?

Will it enter CP?

Have you guys done channel 00 resets on engine ecu of my cars type (EDC16)?

Thanks

bearthebruce
27-02-2013, 03:35 PM
When I changed my injectors and adapted them ecu required no SKC pin...
Will doing reset require it? No, it should not require an SKC.

Will immobiliser go nuts? Again, no it should not.

Will it enter CP? Again, no it should not.

Have you guys done channel 00 resets on engine ecu?

Yes and no. We are struggling to understand why one needs to do this. The learned trim values are all reset by clearing fault codes. Why is that not sufficient for your needs and what do you feel you gain by doing this Group 00 reset? We can think of no reason to mess with those values. Can you tell us why you feel you need to do this?

What we would recommend is that you clear your fault codes and do a drive cycle. Watch the trims to see what they do as you drive. Log them if necessary to gain an understanding of what is going on.

gupsterg
27-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Very BIG THANK YOU FOR INFO :bigok: ...

I know off topic but I feel I must say how well VCDS has delivered on diagnostics & coding/adaptations... recently this feature helped me greatly Link:- Using VCDS / Vag Com to run engine test.... (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?142932-Using-VCDS-Vag-Com-to-run-engine-test&highlight=engine+test+vcds)

I have genuine VCDS I was recently thinking of selling for something similar but have now scrapped that idea, one reason has been lack of developer support directly...

When searching for certain information I have been pleasantly surprised how much Ross Tech support their product via web forums :bigok: ...

So for anyone else who come across this thinking why do Ross Tech charge (x) for a cable besides the obvious functions & benefits think of the support of product!

So I too will stick by it :) and hope to buy the new version on release :) ...

We are struggling to understand why one needs to do this. The learned trim values are all reset by clearing fault codes. Why is that not sufficient for your needs and what do you feel you gain by doing this Group 00 reset? We can think of no reason to mess with those values. Can you tell us why you feel you need to do this?

I will do reset as a last resort... I am doing prep work :) ...

I have done a lot of work to my car myself... the issue I'm having has improved but not yet fully gone away Link:- BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?138282-BMK-3-0-TDi-hunting-erratic-idle-revs-%28-Have-I-got-the-most-lemon-A6!!!-%29)

My reasoning is at times when I have had flash upgrade@dealers to my ECU my car behave for a day then go nuts... so something it is learning is causing it IMO...

So to test theory I needed to try a reset... but there are some new developments which have occurred from my most recent work on engine so perhaps the reset is now not needed...

Thanks again for info :beerchug:...

gupsterg
15-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi ya Bruce :) ...

Please have read/view of video here Link:- BMK 3.0 TDi hunting erratic idle revs ( Have I got the most lemon A6!!! ) - Page 26 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?138282-BMK-3-0-TDi-hunting-erratic-idle-revs-%28-Have-I-got-the-most-lemon-A6!!!-%29&p=792899#post792899)

I'm presently got one glow plug left to change... the only MVB which occasionally go out is the MVB 03 in module 01 data window 2 vs 3 by about 20 points when my idle issue occur which relates to EGR/Air mass... I've done a lot of tests, to me EGR valve is functioning correctly, EGR cooler not seem blocked when looking at MVB's...

At times when issue occur even that is in spec... I'm at loss what values/MVB's to look at...

I'm thinking of parking car in main dealer car park then doing the Channel 00 reset in module 01...

I would just like to confirm that the reset only defaults certain values?

Do you have a list of codings/adaptations which I should note?

Thanks