PDA

View Full Version : Question Changing Xenon Bulbs

theskyfox
28-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys,
How easy is it to change a blown Xenon lightbulb on this generation car? I havent had one go yet, but would like to be able to do it myself when it happens.

On my previous A4 (non-xenon) I could change a blown bulb in about 3 minutes (4 hex screws, slide out headlight, slide in new bulb, put back..all done). Had a quick search on the bar at the top but could only see stuff for the A8/A6. If anyone has a "how to" guide online, a link to that would be great too.

-Andrew

Zenerdiode
30-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Andrew, the manual states that xenon lights must be referred to the Dealer. Pfft. It's as easy as changing a filament lamp. They're pobably a bit wormy about the high voltage. There's a long torx driver in the toolkit that's needed. You remove a plinth at the top of the radiator held by four torx screws. Then each headlight is held by four torx screws. These are slackened - BUT DO NOT REMOVE - and the entire lamp housing is slid out. The xenon cover is a ¼ turn and behind you'll find the High Voltage cable/coupler and lamp. A carefull pull separates the coupler and another ¼ turn gets the lamp out.

Thing is, I think the Audi torx driver is made from Chinesium - I broke the bit of mine with very light pressure...

theskyfox
30-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Not bothered by high voltage..if the light unit is off, then theres no power to it. Pop the cable clipper off and its a dead unit (keeping fingers clear). Sounds similar to the old headlight then...it was the same with regards you had to slacken, but not remove, 4 torx screws. I noticed there is a metal cover on the back of the headlight unit..Im assuming this has to be undone to gain access to the bulbs inside? I've probably got a long torx already..if not I can get one at work (Its an aerospace company..so no tool is really hard to find). Audi can jog-on if they think I'm going to main dealer to change a bulb outside of warranty..

When I get a chance I'll take a photo of the inside. Perhaps we can highlight in paintbrush the areas of interest...could be useful for other members too...

-Andrew

Tigger2424
02-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I was not aware but the Xenon's are covered under warranty.
I had a Xenon bulb blow when the car was 2.5 years old. The dealer replaced both of them under warranty.