PDA

View Full Version : 2002 A4 convertible electrics ?

ahennessy1
26-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi all I have been owner of a 2002 A4 convertible for a week, I have noticed that the wires in the rubber section between the car and door two seem to have split and now intermittent problems with central locking in the door, electric mirrors, electric windows and today the roof was stuck down for a while. Is this a common problem and do you think this is all linked to the wires ? What other things could this possibly effect as when just pulling the car on the drive in the peace and quiet of the evening I can hear a clunking over and over like a switch going on and off ? I believe I would need a new wiring loom that goes between the car a d door card does this sound about tight and is it a common problem and is it an easy part to pick up ?
Many thanks in advance for your replies

RuslanA4
26-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi. Broken wires between pillar and door is quite common on Audi's, even going back to 1980s models. And yes, that will cause a lot of intermittent/not working problems. I've had those fixed myself while ago with some wires and solder iron. Fixing it yourself saves a lot of money, even if it doesn't last as long as new loom

fourringsrus
26-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi. Broken wires between pillar and door is quite common on Audi's, even going back to 1980s models. And yes, that will cause a lot of intermittent/not working problems. I've had those fixed myself while ago with some wires and solder iron. Fixing it yourself saves a lot of money, even if it doesn't last as long as new loom

Ditto , I had the same about 2 years back and it is doing it again now.
2002 A4 cabriolet

ahennessy1
26-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Would it effect roof also as today the following all stopped at same time, auto rise on drivers window (when door normally raise the last half inch when roof is up and door Is closed ) . None of the windows would work and drivers door wouldn't work when trying to lock with remote fob. And then to top it all off I we t to raise the roof and dash message came up saying jab,e to use soft top, a quick squeeze of said rubbers between door and all worked again, for enough time to raise the roof anyway.

RuslanA4
26-05-2012, 11:50 PM
All control modules linked via CAN bus, so if there's a fault in one of them, it will affect the rest of modules linked to first one and meant to work together

fourringsrus
28-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Would it effect roof also as today the following all stopped at same time, auto rise on drivers window (when door normally raise the last half inch when roof is up and door Is closed ) . None of the windows would work and drivers door wouldn't work when trying to lock with remote fob. And then to top it all off I we t to raise the roof and dash message came up saying jab,e to use soft top, a quick squeeze of said rubbers between door and all worked again, for enough time to raise the roof anyway.

Yes mate it will **** about with all functions

ahennessy1
28-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Is the car too old to buy a replacement loom or is it a scrappys only ? Have found one in fleabay but it doesn't have the door puddle lights and prefer to just buy the whole thing

fourringsrus
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Is the car too old to buy a replacement loom or is it a scrappys only ? Have found one in fleabay but it doesn't have the door puddle lights and prefer to just buy the whole thing

2002 too old, good god man certainly not, call the part shop now or call Audi, won't be a problem

ahennessy1
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Cheers I will give them a ring

ahennessy1
09-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Replaced the drivers door loom on weekend and everything is sorted, the new loom you can see the design faults on the old one with the leads on the old ones being far too thick

RuslanA4
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't think there was a design fault. Engineers could have designed it thinking of high current that will go through if user decides to open/close electric window, turn on mirror heater, adjust mirror and open the door making lights to go on. And ALL that at the same time... :) that's a lot of current, thin wires would melt almost instantly

ahennessy1
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Well they are a lot thinner now and it's solved the problem that's main thing for me that it all works, now to find a motor for the electric seats and figure out what clicking noise is coming from under the dash by the glove box :(

RuslanA4
09-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Glad it works for you :beerchug:
What kind of noise near glove box? Is it faint or loud? Does it stop if you turn off climate control completely?

fourringsrus
09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Yep ,I repaired my loom again at the weekend and they are some heavy wires, though strangely the broken wire was a very thin one.

Your clicking near the glove box will be the motors which are trying to operate sticky flaps on the air flow direction control set up, quite common and relatively easy to fix, just do a forum archive search and you'll be good.

Stuart

ahennessy1
09-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Glad it works for you :beerchug:
What kind of noise near glove box? Is it faint or loud? Does it stop if you turn off climate control completely?

Its like the clicking of a relay like an electrical type clicking once I turn engine off maybe every five seconds or so

ahennessy1
09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Cheers stuart ill have a search now

ahennessy1
09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I see from searching you had the same problem , you explained the sound perfectly I kept thinking the previous owner had jammed a cd in the player and that it was trying to eject it

fourringsrus
10-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I see from searching you had the same problem , you explained the sound perfectly I kept thinking the previous owner had jammed a cd in the player and that it was trying to eject it
Yes , my 2002 cabby does it , but a friend bought a 2002 Avant and had no clue so I told him about the motor/flaps issue and HE SORTED IT HIMSELF QUITE QUICKLY

fourringsrus
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Please excuse the sudden and unnecessary use of capital letters ,I must have bumped a key

ahennessy1
10-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Mines 2002 cab too, 2.4 model

fourringsrus
11-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Mines 2002 cab too, 2.4 model
Lovely smooth v6 , if a bit gutless