PDA

View Full Version : SIM Card data usage for MMI plus

robbyg
24-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I am thinking about getting some sort of pay as you go data sim card for the satnav/google maps etc. I can then divert calls to this when driving.

I dont really want to take my sim card in and out of my (works) phone alot, and work wont let me use my sim abroad and have locked out 3g in the uk.

Can anyone give me a feel for how much data you use using google maps etc? Anyone recommend a good sim only deal? I am not paying £10 a month just for my google maps!

Thanks
rob

Timothy Nathan
24-05-2012, 07:29 PM
How will you make outgoing calls in the car?

robbyg
24-05-2012, 07:47 PM
i dont as a general rule.
if i plan to i can always pop out the sim and bluetooth link my phone.

MFGF
24-05-2012, 09:56 PM
It's too soon to tell yet how much data I use in a month - I haven't had the car that long! I don't think it's very much, though. From what I understand, it's best to use a T-mobile sim if you can get one. The car's systems seem to get along just fine on the T-mobile network. The one to avoid is Vodafone - I have seen various software crashes when using a Voda sim card.

Cheers!

MF.

robbyg
24-05-2012, 10:16 PM
yep, ive been looking for a payg tmobile sim.
They seem to have a £1 a day limit for data, but dont specifiy the actual rate.

only need minimal calls/texts and cheap data. thought it would be simple.

skibuddy
26-05-2012, 09:23 AM
So what we need is an App. for iPhone and Android that can detect the Bluetooth or Wifi connection in the A6 and automatically enable call forwarding to the phone number of the SIM in the car and cancel it when you move out of range of your much prized A6. A quick Google search finds Apps that allows call forwarding to be turned on and off easily.

Be careful if buying a Mobile Broadband data SIM as it may not support making or receiving voice calls as they are provisioned for data services only. Recommend you go for a PAYG Voice SIM with some sort of inclusive data allowance when you top up. Given the MMI caches google maps, data usage should be low if you travelling the same route frequently.

Has anyone any views on whether On Line Traffic is any advantage over TMC?