PDA

View Full Version : Polo brake caliper bolt seized

trevh
04-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I have just aquired a second hand Polo Mark 3.
Front disk brake caliper bolt. 2 allen bolts.
Upper bolt is seized and internal allen slot is rounded off.
I know why it is seized, the bolts have a sleeve that fits tightly in the bolt hold, brake dust has worked it's way up the thread and seized the bolt to the sleeve.

The question is how to remove the bolt to remove the caliper?
If I drill the head off, the bolt will still be installed preventing the caliper removal.
To drill the entire bolt length would be about 1.5 inches and there would be danger of going crooked and damaging the caliper.
There is a small gap between the caliper and it's mounting, it's wide enough for a hacksaw blade, but there's not enough room to around it for a blade.
There's not enough room around the bolt head for a set of grips, but you wouldn't get enough grip on it anyway.

I'm open to any suggestions.

nick182
10-08-2007, 01:26 PM
what about trying to heat the bolt with a blowtorch very effactive

Col
10-08-2007, 05:24 PM
what about trying to heat the bolt with a blowtorch very effactive

Good idea but it'd be to close to the brake hoses and it'd also ruin the plastic suround that the missing cap is supposed to fit on.

Is there a gap in the centre of the caliper where the disk sits where you could get a hacksaw in? Either that or use an 'easy-out'

Never had trouble on the fronts but have suffered lots pain once in the rears on a MK3 Golf gti where all 4 were like this. Took almost all day with a hacksaw !

You have my sympathies.

ini
10-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I hate allen bolts, they are never made of hard enough material. (a good quality allen key can help stop rounding)

Try and gently hammer or lever a small socket or spanner over the round head if you have room, or alternately a oversized torx bit in the hole, or if all else fails and there is little room, tack/spot a metal bar onto the bolt to start it moving.

godfried
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Use plenty of penetration oil. Then, if possible, drill a small hole in the bolt and use a ''left-threaded'' removal tap. The taps can be bought at any good hardware place and are specially for that purpose.

Col
10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Use plenty of penetration oil. Then, if possible, drill a small hole in the bolt and use a ''left-threaded'' removal tap. The taps can be bought at any good hardware place and are specially for that purpose.

Totally agree, they are called 'easy-outs' and maybe I should have explained as you have.

godfried
11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
''easy-outs'', could not be described better. You learn something every day.