PDA

View Full Version : ECU Flash remaps?

23-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Sheer curiosity here, as it's not something I'd consider until I was out of warranty, but are there any companies out there offering generic remaps for the 2.0 and 3.0 tdi engines?

I see lots for the previous gen A6, but non for the current.

a8toa6convert
23-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Superchips told me they are working on the latest 3.0tdi at the moment. I'm not sure it will be worth remapping the 245ps 3.0tdi in the A6 though, as (i) the factory torque output is already close to the specified limits of the 7 speed DSG (which is why the BiTdi version uses the ZF 8 speed conventional auto), and (ii) it goes like a scalded cat anyway.

Don't know about the 2.0 tdi......

23-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed, the 3.0 is less likely to benefit from a bit more poke.

I didn't find the 2.0 particularly lethargic on the test drive, plus as a family wagon it's will never get pushed, a bit more poke is always nice though. I'm going to miss the 520Nm in my current car!

robbyg
23-05-2012, 01:40 PM
REVO and RICA are both long time players at this. have had several previous turbocharged cars chipped very successfully. Always faster, AND more economical. No problems, just great mid range torque.

23-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Revo I'm familiar with, but not Rica.

They list the 2.0 CR tdi (170) engine, and I assume the C7 has a newer variant of that? No one seems to explicitly list the 2011< C7 models.

ti rich
23-05-2012, 05:00 PM
There are a few appearing. I have seen a video showing 215 bhp but can't find the link sorry!!!!

23-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Just found these guys http://www.more-bhp.com/a6/audi-a6-20-tdi-cr-177-tuner-protected-remap.html

I've not heard of them before, but they report to be able to unlock an ecu and then extract another 50hp and 80nm! Bold claims.

Guest 2
23-05-2012, 06:16 PM
They chip the ecu directly, meaning all ecu warranty is out the window afaik

23-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Do you mean true physical changes to the ecu Chris? By rights, even a reflash puts your warranty out the window for anything engine related.

Guest 2
23-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Im not clued up - but I remember reading they open up the ECU and modify the EPROM direct.

When you put it that way its very true, one of the tuning companies would need to comment on this to confirm.

23-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I need to have a read up on this lock that it appears Audi have applied to certain models.

Physically opening the ECU would ring alarm bells for me. That will be easily noticeable.

Guest 2
23-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I think the lock applies to 2010+ cars accross the range

FlashRemapping
23-05-2012, 07:16 PM
vag group vehicles from may 09 diesels and may2010 petrols with tricore ecus have tuning protected ecus
that is most 2.0 and 3.0 tdis

the only way to remap these is tri-core plug in that requires removal and opening of the ecu

this is not a big deal in all honesty just more time consuming

IMHO there will not be a way to bypass this tuning protection in a long time if ever and this is the only way get a remap

Guest 2
23-05-2012, 07:18 PM
What about the effects on the warranty - opening the ecu?

FlashRemapping
23-05-2012, 07:41 PM
this is a debatable situation
my understanding is that a manufacturer can only deny a warantee claim if the remapping is a direct cause of the problem - otherwise they cannot deny the claim - this is where picking a Viezu dealer makes sense as we all have underwritten insurance that covers the vehicle for faults that are a direct cause of remapping - this would be subject to an inspection by a MIRA inspector - this should leave you as covered as you were in the first place

In the real world though I think a main dealer would be quite quick to blame any problem the car had as "down to the remap" and gesture you away
If you were armed though with a MIRA inspection report I think they would have to take notice - this would also stand up if went to court

Timothy Nathan
24-05-2012, 12:43 AM
...and the effect on
Insurance
An insurance claim?

a8toa6convert
24-05-2012, 07:20 AM
ALWAYS tell your insurer. Some high volume, low margin insurers will refuse to insure a remapped car, but some will take a pragmatic attitude. Mine (multi-car policy through Aon) wanted a 10% premium increase for a remapped 3.0tdi quattro, which is only about an extra £40 for an old git like me....

24-05-2012, 08:51 AM
this is a debatable situation
my understanding is that a manufacturer can only deny a warantee claim if the remapping is a direct cause of the problem - otherwise they cannot deny the claim - this is where picking a Viezu dealer makes sense as we all have underwritten insurance that covers the vehicle for faults that are a direct cause of remapping - this would be subject to an inspection by a MIRA inspector - this should leave you as covered as you were in the first place

In the real world though I think a main dealer would be quite quick to blame any problem the car had as "down to the remap" and gesture you away
If you were armed though with a MIRA inspection report I think they would have to take notice - this would also stand up if went to court

This is very interesting. This is the first mention I have ever come across of a Tuner being prepared to back up their product with a warranty to pick up anything the manufacturer rejects (or more so, that the remap causes.) Do you have a link to the T's & C's on this that I can read?

Your comment on a manufacturer not being able to reject a claim unless it has been directly caused by the remap are 100% correct and this has been tested in the EU courts. E.g. A suspension/MMI claim cannot be rejected on a remapped car. A blown turbo claim could though.

...and the effect on
Insurance
An insurance claim?

* Declare it as a modification to them.
* If the above is met, then no effect what-so-ever.

(I've run modified cars in various states for years and have made claims on them so this is first hand experience.)

MFGF
24-05-2012, 11:01 AM
I was wondering how remapping the ECU of a C7 would affect the different driving programmes built into the car. The difference between Efficiency and Dynamic in a standard car is huge - I guess Audi use different ecu maps for the different modes? How would this translate if a third-party tuner remapped the ecu?

MF.

24-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I was wondering how remapping the ECU of a C7 would affect the different driving programmes built into the car. The difference between Efficiency and Dynamic in a standard car is huge - I guess Audi use different ecu maps for the different modes? How would this translate if a third-party tuner remapped the ecu?

MF.

That's another interesting point. I've yet to take delivery of my car so am not totally familiar with the way the system works. It would be interesting to see if they could only alter the dynamic and normal modes, or even increase economy in only Eco mode etc.

I will email Viezu and direct them to this thread.