PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion found on bonnet of my 08 Jetta!

Manutor
20-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Washed my car yesterday and as i was drying it i noticed bubbling under the paint of the bonnet right on the edge against the wing. Popped the bonnet and found the edge of the bonnet was also bubbling under the paint and the paint had split slightly.

Was pretty amazed to find this to be honest on a car that isn't even 4 years old yet!

took it to the VW approved bodyshop for them to look at and found out this isn't the first one they have seen like this and they've repaired a few already. In some cases VW have approved to have the bonnet completely replaced. Mainly been on golfs and golf estates. Hopefully mine will be approved under the 12 year corrsion warranty.

My question is has anyone else had this issue? Just wondering if i am unlucky or in fact is a wider issue.

SC03OTT
20-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I had an 08 Jetta up until October last year and I didn't have an issue.

chody
20-05-2012, 07:32 PM
not noticed any corrosion on my 57 plate jetta but will have a close look in the morning now

Manutor
26-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Bit of an update. After finding the corrosion on the bonnet went and checked out google for this issue and not that uncommon in the US, as it's the biggest market for the Jetta. Corrosion around the tailgate also known and surprise surprise checked mine and also found it starting to corrode around the cutouts for the tailgate handle and lights that light up the numberplate. Other common area is the front wings biut they are ok for the moment but the bodyshop estimator reckons i'll be in sometime for them though!
Hopefully VW will approve the repairs and i'll be looking at a new bonnet and most likely a new tailgate/bootlid!

Crasher
26-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Crappy Mexican build quality!

zollaf
26-05-2012, 02:40 PM
i dont think thats the answer he was looking for, but in true crasher fashion, blunt, straight to the point and correct :)

Crasher
26-05-2012, 02:56 PM
You should see the paint on South African built cars, awful!

zollaf
26-05-2012, 03:16 PM
wait until they start having them made in china. ???

STEWY L
26-05-2012, 05:00 PM
wait until they start having them made in china. ???
that may be an improvement actually.
very proud folk, and very professional in most things they do.
they can often show us a thing or two these days, although i'll agree,
it was once very different,
regards,
stewy.

Crasher
27-05-2012, 05:01 AM
My iPod hasn't gone rusty-yet...

Manutor
27-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Crap mexican build quality or just poor design! Bodyshop estimater has seen other mk5 golfs and golf estates with the same issue and i'm pretty sure they are mexican built. Also known problem with mk5 wings corroding too. Also had the injectors done under warranty as my Jetta is a 170 PD engine. Shame really cracking performance, economy and crusing ability.
Questioning whether to ditch it after the repairs for something else.

STEWY L
27-05-2012, 04:53 PM
My iPod hasn't gone rusty-yet...
wait till you drop it down pan!!!
stewy.

Manutor
17-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Bit of an update.

Repair under warranty was approved, took long enough. Corrosion was extrnsive enough when they stripped it that in the end i am getting a new bonnet. Problem is no stock at the moment an no date given for a delivery of a new one! Boot was also approved under warranty too.