PDA

View Full Version : Collecting 61 plate A6 next weekend... anything specific to check?

nickS14a
20-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I'm picking up my 'Audi approved' 61 plate A6 (3.0 TDi S-line) next weekend and I'm wondering if there's any advice you can offer on the things I should check before I drive away?

I've bought a few cars in my time, but nothing with the complexity/gadgets of the A6 and I can imagine it would take quite a few hours and a fair bit of fiddling w bluetooth connections etc. to check everything is working, so I'm looking for some pointers!

The car has the technology pack, DAB radio and heared seats as options.

A couple of specific Qs:
- what leads should come with the AMI (I read there are two, but have seen other posts saying there are different variants - red collar etc)?
- should I check whether the version of the MMI software is current?
- anything else that tends to go walkabout from VAG group-owned cars?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Nick

Tigger2424
22-05-2012, 08:20 AM
With regards to the AMI leads. I suggest you take an iPod with you and connect it. If it works it is the correct lead.
I wish I had done this when I collected my A4.
Other things:
Handbook in Wallet
Service record and make sure it is up to date
Locking wheel nut adapter thingy
Wheel centre cap removal tool
Jack and tools
Keys, not sure about the A6 but the A4 needs an adapter which lives in the glove box
Navigation DVD, and make sure it is the latest one
If it is quattro, make sure ALL the tyres are the same (if not they should be matched pair on front/back
There should be 1 litre of oil in the boot in a leather bag

Just to check if they have prepared the car properly, they should have deleted all previous nav destinations, and phone history etc..

Good luck and Enjoy you car

kennyh
22-05-2012, 09:40 AM
When I picked up my used A7 it did not have the AMI leads in it. The dealer said that they did not come with a used vehicle.

I responded that 2 leads are supplied with a new car and as far as I was concerned it should be supplied as part of the car. They then supplied the lead I required and I tested it as part of the pickup.

I didn't get the oil though. I must admit I forgot the new cars shipped with the oil/gloves/funnel kit.

I didn't get my 3rd emergency key and I'm still fighting with them to supply one.

MFGF
22-05-2012, 08:59 PM
First aid kit in the rear armrest
luggage net present (if the Storage Pack has been specified)
MMI handbook disc present in the manual pack
There is no nav DVD so no need to worry about that (assuming you are collecting a C7 not a C6)
red collar AMI iPod/iPhone cable and AMI to USB female cable should be supplied
Three keys - two identical normal remote keys and a small black plastic emergency key
Warning triangle in the bootlid

Cheers!

nickS14a
22-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Tigger2424, kennh,

Thanks very much for your replies - great information. I'll email the sales rep to check on the items you mentioned to avoid any surprises when I pick up the car.

A couple of follow-up questions, though:

Keys... so there should be 3 keys, 2 of the standard sort and 1 'emergency key'?
Can anyone confirm whether there's a key 'adapter' mentioned by Tigger in the A6 glove box?
Navigation DVD: I had no idea it would come with a DVD, assumed this was loaded on the tech pack HDD and you'd only get a DVD from Audi for a (paid) update. Anyone know the latest version/release number?

Thanks again,

Nick

MFGF
22-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Keys... so there should be 3 keys, 2 of the standard sort and 1 'emergency key'?

Yep - exactly!

Can anyone confirm whether there's a key 'adapter' mentioned by Tigger in the A6 glove box?
No - there is no adaptor supplied in the glovebox. The A6 doesn't need a key inserted anywhere to start it (unlike an A4) - the key just has to be in the car.

Navigation DVD: I had no idea it would come with a DVD, assumed this was loaded on the tech pack HDD and you'd only get a DVD from Audi for a (paid) update. Anyone know the latest version/release number?

The A6 has no navigation DVD. Map updates (when available) come on an SD card, and are loaded onto the car's hard drive by your dealer.

Cheers!

MF.

nickS14a
22-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks very much, MF... you posted while I was replying and answered all my questions.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Nick

nickS14a
24-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Checked this list with the dealer and, as in KennyH's experience, they are saying that the AMI leads aren't supplied with a used vehicle and are offering to provide them at £55+vat! I have told them I expect leads to be supplied since they're part of the AMI option and am awaiting a call back.

They also say that a Sep-11 A6 with AMI would have originally been supplied with blue collar Ipod lead rather than red. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks again for your help - will post the outcome of my discussion with the dealer.

Nick

ti rich
24-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Checked this list with the dealer and, as in KennyH's experience, they are saying that the AMI leads aren't supplied with a used vehicle and are offering to provide them at £55+vat! I have told them I expect leads to be supplied since they're part of the AMI option and am awaiting a call back.

They also say that a Sep-11 A6 with AMI would have originally been supplied with blue collar Ipod lead rather than red. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks again for your help - will post the outcome of my discussion with the dealer.

Nick

Would have come with blue lead but ask for the red now! My November 2011 car still had blue lead.

iancorben
15-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Would have come with blue lead but ask for the red now! My November 2011 car still had blue lead.

Could someone please confirm when the red collared cable was introduced.

i am collecting my Nov12 registered A6 next weekend and just wanted to pre empt the collection and get the right one first time. My car has been used by one of the managers at the dealer, which I know to be true and so I don't think it unreasonable to ensure anything that came with the car from new should be there. Fair enough?

Reading above then, I will ensure things like First Aid Kit, all manuals and disc, AMI (I think red), 3 keys ( 2 plus 1 'emergency'), emergency triangle in boot.

Very useful thread once again so thanks.

johnsimcox
15-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Could someone please confirm when the red collared cable was introduced.

i am collecting my Nov12 registered A6 next weekend and just wanted to pre empt the collection and get the right one first time. My car has been used by one of the managers at the dealer, which I know to be true and so I don't think it unreasonable to ensure anything that came with the car from new should be there. Fair enough?

Reading above then, I will ensure things like First Aid Kit, all manuals and disc, AMI (I think red), 3 keys ( 2 plus 1 'emergency'), emergency triangle in boot.

Very useful thread once again so thanks.
The Red cable was introduced around May 2012. So would be available for your car. Whether the car already has it will depend on what device the previous user has been connecting to it. If it was anything other than a device running iOS (except first generation iPod Touch) or the small square iPod Nano with touch screen he may not have bothered to get the red cable, indeed it would not have worked with those older devices. If it is not there then just ask, I got all 3 cables (USB, Blue and Red) this way. Make sure you get the USB one as well as that should have come with the car from the start.

iancorben
15-09-2013, 10:18 AM
The Red cable was introduced around May 2012. So would be available for your car. Whether the car already has it will depend on what device the previous user has been connecting to it. If it was anything other than a device running iOS (except first generation iPod Touch) or the small square iPod Nano with touch screen he may not have bothered to get the red cable, indeed it would not have worked with those older devices. If it is not there then just ask, I got all 3 cables (USB, Blue and Red) this way. Make sure you get the USB one as well as that should have come with the car from the start.

Appreciate your reply John, thank you.

Ian

Olio
15-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I understand it's 2012 so you should get teh red one.

If there is a blue one, tell the salesman you need (not want, need) a red one, they should oblige.