PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Economy...

Hugh Jend
18-05-2012, 08:00 PM
This may well be an old chestnut- but just how accurate are the average fuel economy readouts on the MFD please?
I have heard of horror stories where a supposed fuel economy was not reached...so a technician simply re-calibrated the read out accordingly.
Whilst I do have a VW Passat (08) and my 170 tdi Sport estate is on order, the actual MPG (when compared to VW's and What Cars calculator) would be of interest.

Cheers...and I look forward to hundreds of replies....:biglaugh:

EssexGonzo
18-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Personal rule of thumb having owned more than 10 VAG cars with mpg computers over the years: take 10% off the indicated mpg and you should be close to reality.

D4D
21-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi, My trip computer is consistantly 2 to 2.5 mpg higher than actual. As I claim fuel expenses for mileage travelled my mpg calculations are pretty accurate.

kite
21-05-2012, 07:52 PM
You can adjust the DIS with VCDS..

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

Hugh Jend
21-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks Chaps.
So anywhere from 5 to 10% over ambitious then?

I overheard a conversation betwen two guys today- one who was claiming that he gets about 25% better fuel economy when using 'SHELL' as opposed the the ASDA stuff.....Naah.. whilst the special stuff that SHELL etc may be a tad better, the common stuff will be much as a muchness!

True?

D4D
22-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Would be interested in this also, I have heard similar about the standard fuel as well as the premium fuel. If your talking a 25% increase in economy when using Shell standard fuel, I would be looking at 62mpg for daily use, considering there is no real difference in price between supermarket and Shell fuel I would say its a no brainer ?

I have heard similar to these figures for premium fuel never tried it though, always baulked at the cost.

I have also found that the people espousing the benefits of premium fuel can't really back it up with data, looking for facts & figures not personal preference !