PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit Position?

coeur
03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Can anyone answer this....

...why is the standard MK4 Golf head unit in the bottom of the 2 dashboard slots and the blank (or CD player, where fitted) in the top position??

Would it not make sense for the radio to be in the top slot since you tend to use this more often than the blank / CD player.

And, how easy is it to swop the radio from the bottom slot to top slot and the blank / CD player from the top to the bottom?

Steve

Ben
03-08-2007, 11:01 PM
They can probably in either way round, but i would suggest that the cd player is on the top because when inserting or removing a cd, there is no interference from the gear stick as the cd's would be higher. I'm assuming that when in 3rd gear the gear stick is nearest the radio. I hope this helps. I could also be wrong.

Eshrules
04-08-2007, 08:24 AM
hmmm.... i've never really complained about it to be honest. if you look at where the radio is situated, its in line (roughly) with where you hand rests on the arm rest, so i would imagine its more for ergonomics than anything else, you use the cd loader very rarely compared to how much you will mess with the radio....

its not hard to swap them around if you really want to,just take them out, swap around, put back in again :Blush:

Col
04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
The standard gamma will go into the top slot. If you have an aftermarket unit, you'll need a double din cage with a dividing slot, I used one of these on mine when I had my Golf as piccy below, let you fit lots of nice things in the spare slot...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/PB120138.jpg

Previous generations of Golf had the head unit high up on the dash which was far far better. The top slot is the best. I'd certainly have fitted it in the top slot if I didn't want to view the gauges as a priority.

Which are not so important in the passat as pic below (same cage applies golf / passat by the way)....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/P2140109.jpg

Ben
04-08-2007, 02:37 PM
did you fit the gauges yourself?

I imaging it would be quite tricky?

Col
04-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes fitted them myself, twice now.

Quite easy actually, the most difficult part is running the cables and boost hose into the car from the engine compartment.

coeur
04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks, all, for the suggestion.

I collected my new Golf MK4 today and think I know of another reason. The radio may be in the bottom slot because if it where in the top slot it would be obscured by the cup holder when in use.

Since I won't be using the cup holder I'll probably swap the radio and blank around. How do I remove the blank? I already have an after market CD player in the bottom slot.

Thanks,
Steve