PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else seen these little details?

nealeb
16-05-2012, 10:54 PM
By way of balancing the "Audi are crap 'cos they don't work with my iPhone" points of view (and where's that tongue-in-cheek emoticon when you need it!) here are a couple of little items where Audi seem to have done something that they don't shout about but which improve the overall pleasure of driving. Anyone else noticed these, or spotted any other little improvements over previous models?

DAB radio. Because of the way that audio is digitised and sent for DAB, the audio always lags the "real-time" FM broadcast of the same station by, maybe, half to one second or so. If the car loses the DAB signal (not that uncommon, depending on where you are) the radio will automatically switch to an FM broadcast of the same station, if possible. In the C6, this meant that sometimes you would lose a little slice of the audio, or would hear a short slice repeated (typically a word or so), depending on which way it was switching. My C7 radio seems to delay the FM audio to match the DAB, though, so when it switches you never seem to notice the join.

ACC on bends. This is especially significant with an automatic where you can, say, hit "resume" on the ACC control at very low speed and have it take you all the way to 70. Never higher, of course, as that would be very naughty in the UK. But while the car is accelerating, if you turn the steering to take a bend it holds the speed at which you started turning the wheel, and doesn't start accelerating again until you have straightened up. This comment opens up a can of worms, of course, about using ACC while going round bends but leaving that discussion to one side for the moment, it does seem like quite a clever bit of safety-related thinking in the way that the car systems interact. ACC-equipped owners - can you try this sometime and confirm that what I notice really does happen?

Timothy Nathan
17-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I think, though I am not 100% sure, that ACC slows down for bends, but it may be that it is reacting to the wall in front of you.

The best example I see on a regular basis is going south on Scrubbs lane, as it goes into the double bend at the railway bridge, it slows from 33 to 22 for the bend, then accelerates again.

skibuddy
17-05-2012, 07:53 AM
When the petrol warning light comes on, having the navigation system offer to route you to the nearest filling station, shows a bit of lateral thinking.

MFGF
17-05-2012, 07:11 PM
When the petrol warning light comes on, having the navigation system offer to route you to the nearest filling station, shows a bit of lateral thinking.

Really? Wow! I must try this! Cool! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nealeb
17-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Really? Wow! I must try this! Cool! :-)

Nah, it's not that good. Doesn't even check that you have the right petrol loyalty card for its chosen filling station:)

nealeb
02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Another little item I noticed recently - when you start from cold, the rev counter "red line" is at 4.6K. As the engine warms, it goes to 4.8 and then 5K. Don't know if the rev limiter tracks this, and don't really want to find out!

MFGF
02-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Another little item I noticed recently - when you start from cold, the rev counter "red line" is at 4.6K. As the engine warms, it goes to 4.8 and then 5K. Don't know if the rev limiter tracks this, and don't really want to find out!

This is very cool, but like you, I never get anywhere near the red line unless the car is fully up to temperature. There are lots of neat design features on these cars! Well done Audi! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ti rich
06-08-2012, 09:10 PM

Mine doesn't do that. Must only be on the MMI plus.